Thread: simple questions | Forums

ive never played myst before, i just installed it on my vista system and it seems to work fine but there are some oddities occuring that im not sure if they are supposed to be this way or not.

Upon loading the game im presented with an open book and an image-- i click the image and the screen goes black and makes a wooshing sound, then im in another world-- no transition of going into the book occurs (ive played exile and that had tranistions like that). Is that normal?

also, i saved my game and when i restored it, it started me in a completly different area looking at a book with an image, then i clicked the image and like before no transition but it put me into a different area-- looked like a library, is that normal?

edit; its Myst Masterpiece Edition btw, dont know if that maters or not-- from the 10th anniversary set
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Welcome to the Forums!

Suggestions:

In general,
    -- Always log into Vista with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications before starting MME.
    -- Never boot up with the MME DVD in any drive.
    -- If the MME DVD autostarts when inserted into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    -- Always start MME with the Desktop icon, not from the DVD menu.

1. Install the latest Vista drivers for your video and sound chipsets. If you haven't checked for new drivers within the past week, do so now.

2. If you haven't been using Windows Update, do so now!

3. Some programs run properly on Vista only if you run them with full Administrator privileges and with the Run as administrator option enabled. See How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista.

4. If you haven't already done so, download and install these updates:
    July 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
    -- December 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update.
    -- An update is available that improves the compatibility and reliability of Windows Vista
    -- Four Must-Have Vista Updates. The fourth update mentioned, KB936710, applies only to SLI and CrossFire systems (two NVIDIA or AMD/ATI graphics cards).

5. Try what's called out in:
    -- How to troubleshoot application compatibility issues in Windows Vista
    -- How to troubleshoot issues that may prevent a program from being installed correctly on a Windows Vista-based computer
    -- Advanced methods to troubleshoot a program that does not run as expected after it is installed on Windows Vista

6. Run MME in Compatibility Mode. For details on the Program Compatibility Wizard, see How to start the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows Vista.

7. Re-install MME from a clean boot.
    -- a. Uninstall MME using the Windows Add or Remove Programs utility.
    -- b. Do step 1 in How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista.
    -- c. Re-install Riven.
    -- d. Do step 7 in How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

while i can understand how those things may be helpfull they don't answer my questions... the game runs-- im just wondering if those things occuring are normal to the game or not

Oh, OK, I misunderstood. From the "wooshing sound" description, I thought you were having problems. With Win XP, it's an OHHH-OWWWW-WHEEEE sound, done in a deep-bass male voice. Shouldn't be different in Vista.

Myst saved games start in the same place in each Age. For example, restoring a game saved on the first Island will always start with you looking up at the Library ceiling. But whatever you've already discovered on the Island, switch settings you've made, etc., will still be in place. Again for example, if you restore a saved game in which you were ready to click on the Linking Book in the Spaceship, you'd leave the Library, go to the Spaceship, and the Linking Book would be waiting for you.

I recommend using the "Save as" function (rather than just doing an Alt-S save), since you can name/number your saves and save as many different game positions as you want. With "Save as", you can also put your saves in any folder you like, instead of in the default folder.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi