Thread: Anyone else struggling with the TDC? | Forums

I used to be able to drive nails with the SH3 manual TDC interface, but for some reason, I am really having problems getting this TDC to work for me.
    I usually calculate speed on the chart by keeping a 3-minute plot of the contacts, and I also use this to determine AOB. Granted, probably not the best if habits, but worked well for SH3.
    It seems that my speed calculations are almost always off, and my initial shots (with doors open) almost always seem to go badly astern.
    Maybe the Position Keeper thing is screwing me up, because I really don't understand it.
    Anyone know of a few good tutorials on this TDC? I understand the fundamentals of the system, I just can't get the controls to work for me.

Appreciate the help
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I used to be able to drive nails with the SH3 manual TDC interface, but for some reason, I am really having problems getting this TDC to work for me.
    I usually calculate speed on the chart by keeping a 3-minute plot of the contacts, and I also use this to determine AOB. Granted, probably not the best if habits, but worked well for SH3.
    It seems that my speed calculations are almost always off, and my initial shots (with doors open) almost always seem to go badly astern.
    Maybe the Position Keeper thing is screwing me up, because I really don't understand it.
    Anyone know of a few good tutorials on this TDC? I understand the fundamentals of the system, I just can't get the controls to work for me.

Appreciate the help

The general concensus is that the TDC is calculating shots to go astern. I've heard two possible reasons for this.

1.) The TDC is calculating speed wrong.
    2.) The Mark 14 torpedoes move too much slower than they are supposed to when set on high, and the TDC calculates the shot based on how fast they should really be going.

I believe #2 to be the cause. If you knew what you were doing in SH3, then you should still be fine with speed and AOB. There's a few things I do to estimate speed and set up a good shot in SH4.

Firstly, the chronometer doesn't work but I've always been too lazy to use that anyway. I use the speed as reported by the nav map. 6 knots for slow, 9 knots for medium, and 12 for fast. I then add 1 knot for the TDC calculation, and add a degree on the torpedo on the bow side of the shot. (IE If the boat is heading from my port side to my starboard side, I add 1 degree right angle)

Also remember that the mark 14 torpedoes run about 10 feet too deep, and in this case, it is historically accurate and not a software bug. Keep that in mind when setting depth. Keel shots still pack a punch, but it seems the damage model is just laughing at high impact shots right now.

Hope that helps. My explanation is basically a work-around for 3 different bugs They're possible to deal with, but hopefully they will be ironed out in 1.2

Communist penguin skipper elitist

Thanks for the pointers and information. I was starting to lose mt mind trying to figure that thing out!