Thread: Saitek X45 Adjustment/Maintenance? | Forums

Hi,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the spring loading on the X45 joystick as mine is rather stiff and the movement is a little sticky. This is making it difficult to fly! Thanx
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the spring loading on the X45 joystick as mine is rather stiff and the movement is a little sticky. This is making it difficult to fly! Thanx

Unlike the throttle of the X45 (which has a button on the bottom to adjust friction) - the stick sadly has not -
    You CAN use a little tie-wrap to pull the spring at the bottom together some - that will help

Night is better than Day

joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh

For the "sticky" problem:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Rub a little candle wax on the cone & cup assembly at the base of the stick; OR
    <LI>Use a very tiny amount of SILICON based lubricant (NOT mineral oil) on the cone/cup; OR
    <LI>Make a washer out of plasticised card (cereal packets are good) to go between the cup & cone.[/list]

For the spring tension, I found that curing the sticky problem was enough, but a couple of other options are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Compress the spring using cable ties (those plastic nylon zip tighten things used by electrician and electronics techs); OR
    <LI>Replace the spring with one intended for a Cyborg stick.[/list]

=================================================

IL2 Forums Moderator
    Forum Terms of Use

Salut
    Tully

Remove the screws on the side of the grip and split the bottom part of it. Don't take it completely apart. Pull the grip up so that you can slide the spring up. Remove the spring like you would a key on a keychain. Reasemble.

You'll have a feather-touch stick that will not stand up on its own, but with practice, you'll love it.

I'm not responsible for any damage you do.
    we are family. i got all my sistas and me.

Or you could just buy a Cougar instead.

It's your call.

"If I could have all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink" - Sir Henry Rawlinson

What's it going to be then, eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adlabs6:
    A springless stick?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be Sure!

If I ever get over to the machine shop and get new aluminum gimbals to replace the plastic ones, I should have the worlds best stick for under $150. Of course, I'll put all the mods into my signature and claim my superiority.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    ______ _____
    (, / ) /) /) , (, /
    /---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
    +----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
    | (_/ ( / ,' NR / |
    | ..-""``"'-._ (__/ __,' 42 _/ |
    +-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>
    we are family. i got all my sistas and me.

Thanks for all the suggestions - tried the candle wax thing and that works great! The simple things are usually the best. What a great forum - 6 replies in less than 24 hours, think I'll have to keep comming back for more.

Oh, forgot to thank Adlabs6 for the great X45 profile and user manual - this has saved me a lot of time and effort! Thanks