Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does 'Pickle' mean with regard to bombs, pls? | Forums

I am reading 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' by 'Sharkey' Ward, right now and he keeps talking about how he 'Pickled' his bombs or something..

Can anyone pls explain? (Great book btw)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

"Over Dieppe, the wing was immediately bounced by a hundred FW 190s and a few Me 109s. I heard Johnson effing and bli
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Bomb release switch is called the pickle switch.

I knew a WWII bombardier.

When you're hot "you can drop the bombs into a pickle barrel from 20,000 feet".

The pickle barrel is the idea bombardier target, the perfect drop, etc.

'Pickle' means to release bombs.

The term comes from an early CCIP pipper, though I don't recal exactly which plane. The pipper was a circle with bumps around it, and looked like a pickle.

Edit: Or the pipper was made to look like a pickle in accordance with the existing pickle name.

I thought the derivation was from the Norden sight allowing you to 'put a bomb in a pickle barrel from 30000 feet'.

Oops - someone beat me to that suggestion I see.

To answer your question, to 'Pickle' your bombs means to release the Weapon. In modern Western Aircraft, this is usually done by pressing the 'Pickle' button, that's the big red one on top of the stick, as opposed to the trigger, which fires the gun (and sometimes missiles) and is located on the front of the stick, under your index finger.
    ---Loose nut removed from cockpit, ship OK

I always thought that in its modern usage 'pickling' meant to actively designate the target, with a laser for instance.

It's a very entertaining book! If you'd like more of the same without quite so much inter-squadron and inter-service griping, try David Morgan's recent "Hostile Skies". Morgan flew for 800 NAS and claimed the most kills in the conflict.

Both very good accounts - I am currently wading through "Vulcan 607", covering the Black Buck raids.

Oh, and on the same subject matter I'd recommend "100 Days" by Sandy Woodward; if you're interested in more than just the air component.

Regards, Spinner.

"The stork" --> dropping babies down chimneys --> Vlassic's mascot is a stork --> Vlassic sells pickles --> you drop pickles on a hamburger --> Bombers dropped pickles on Hamburg --> you can put bacon on a burger --> Kevin Bacon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IL-2/FB/AEP/PF FAQs * [URL=http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2163129&page=1# Post

Thanks for your replies!

I have to say that this :-

Originally posted by Hannibales:
    I always thought that in its modern usage 'pickling' meant to actively designate the target, with a laser for instance.
    sounds the most likely answer for the part I am reading now (but I could be wrong), but probably SPinner, who has read the book will be able to say for sure?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

"Over Dieppe, the wing was immediately bounced by a hundred FW 190s and a few Me 109s. I heard Johnson effing and bli

Originally posted by Skycat_2:
    "The stork" --> dropping babies down chimneys --> Vlassic's mascot is a stork --> Vlassic sells pickles --> you drop pickles on a hamburger --> Bombers dropped pickles on Hamburg --> you can put bacon on a burger --> Kevin Bacon.
    LOL that reminds me of a particular episode of South Park.

Tacticool™. It's what plants crave.
    [b]1) Cut a hole in a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast