Thread: Why is copy protection so over the top? | Forums

Spider-Bot | Splinter Cell Blacklist | Companion App

Fourth Echelon Economy 101 | Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Out of the Shadows - Splinter Cell Blacklist Dev Panel

J. Cole Trailer - Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

What they need to do is just put enough protection so that the casual user cannot make copies, just enough so one person can't just stick the disc in and rattle off 10 copies as easy as burning music. Remember, the casual user has probably has never even heard of bittorrent, and if they have, they have no idea how to use it, and can barely navigate kazaa. This person will gladly buy a game instead of waiting for it to first appear on Kazaa, and then actually download (easily 2 weeks).
    What companies like Ubi can't seem to figure out is that it is statistically impossible to deter all piracy for any significant amount of time. I know of one game that managed to avoid traditional piracy for 6 months, Toca, and even for that there were workarounds (albeit complicated ones). 99% of games alrealy have several thousand downloads before the stores even put them on the shelves. It is abject stupidity to inconvenience paying customers to this degree for that success rate.
    Soldiers 3, the latest game before this one released with starforce 3 was cracked inside a week (you can check the latest status at http://www.nforce.nl) I'm guessing Chaos Theory will take about the same amount of time. So to delay pirates 1 week, they willingly practically defraud people, and cause the lucky ones to spend hours with tech support.
    I'm afraid I have to agree with another poster. You losing money because of anti-piracy measures is an acceptable loss. Ubi losing a tiny bit more money to piracy than they would (because there is some fractional percentage of hardcore pirates not willing to wait a week for a game) is unacceptable.
    And they wonder why PC games sales lag consoles. Worse yet, they blame the differences on piracy. As if a) you cannot pirate console games and b) their mindless business practices have nothing to do with it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

What they need to do is just put enough protection so that the casual user cannot make copies, just enough so one person can't just stick the disc in and rattle off 10 copies as easy as burning music. Remember, the casual user has probably has never even heard of bittorrent, and if they have, they have no idea how to use it, and can barely navigate kazaa. This person will gladly buy a game instead of waiting for it to first appear on Kazaa, and then actually download (easily 2 weeks).
    What companies like Ubi can't seem to figure out is that it is statistically impossible to deter all piracy for any significant amount of time. I know of one game that managed to avoid traditional piracy for 6 months, Toca, and even for that there were workarounds (albeit complicated ones). 99% of games alrealy have several thousand downloads before the stores even put them on the shelves. It is abject stupidity to inconvenience paying customers to this degree for that success rate.
    Soldiers 3, the latest game before this one released with starforce 3 was cracked inside a week (you can check the latest status at http://www.nforce.nl) I'm guessing Chaos Theory will take about the same amount of time. So to delay pirates 1 week, they willingly practically defraud people, and cause the lucky ones to spend hours with tech support.
    I'm afraid I have to agree with another poster. You losing money because of anti-piracy measures is an acceptable loss. Ubi losing a tiny bit more money to piracy than they would (because there is some fractional percentage of hardcore pirates not willing to wait a week for a game) is unacceptable.
    And they wonder why PC games sales lag consoles. Worse yet, they blame the differences on piracy. As if a) you cannot pirate console games and b) their mindless business practices have nothing to do with it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote