Last update: 12-10-09
VENICE (map with the 6 districts or "sestieri")
** SAN MARCO DISTRICT **
Basilica di San Marco
- History: Built in 828, replaced by a new church in 832. The new church was burned in a rebellion in 976, and rebuilt in 1063 to form the basis of the present basilica. Within the first half of the 13th century the narthex and the new façade were constructed.
- Info: The cathedral church of Venice, is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture. Originally it was the "chapel" of the Venetian rulers, and not the city's cathedral. For its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building was known by the nickname Chiesa d'Oro (Church of gold).
AC2 vs Real
- History: The initial 9th century construction was used as a watch tower for the dock, being finished in the 12th century. Seriously damaged by a fire in 1489 that destroyed the wooden spire, the campanile was restored in the following years and assumed its definitive shape in 1513.
- Info: The bell tower of St Mark's Basilica and one of the most recognizable symbols of the city. The tower is 98.6 metres (323 ft) tall. It has a simple form, the bulk of which is a plain brick square shaft, 12 metres (39 ft) wide on each side and 50 metres (160 ft) tall, above which is the arched belfry, housing five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show walking lions and the female representation of Venice (Giustizia: Justice).
AC2 vs Real
- History: It was constructed between 1496 and 1499. The clock mechanism dates from 1499 and has been restored multiple times.
- Info: This clock tower situated on St Mark's Square houses the most important clock in the city, St Mark's Clock. It was constructed as a display of Venice's wealth, and as an aid to sailors on the Grand Canal about to depart on a voyage. It has five bays, of which the central bay is the widest. This bay incorporates a two-storey gateway, with the large clock face above, topped by a single storey tower with a depiction of a Lion of St Mark against the night sky, while two blackened bronze figures intended as giants stand on top and ring a bell on the hour. The clock mechanism drives the main clock face, which consists of several concentric dials. The outermost displays the number 1 to 24 in Roman numerals, and a hand embellished with a depiction of the sun indicated the hour. The second dial depicts the twelve signs of the zodiac, picked out, like the inner dials, in gilt on an enamel blue background. The inner dials indicate the phases of the moon and sun.
AC2 vs Real
San Marco and San Todaro columns
- History: erected in 1180 at the entrance to the Piazza San Marco.
- Info: These are the columns of Venice's two patrons, standing by the water's edge. One is the statue of the Saint Mark´s lion and the other is the statue of Saint Teodoro of Amasea, ("Santodaro" to the Venetians), who is standing on the sacred crocodile of Egypt. These columns constituted the official gateway to Venice; when there were no official guests in the city, gambling was permitted in the space between the columns. It was also the site of executions in the city.
AC2 vs Real
- History: It was largely constructed from 1309 to 1424, replacing an earlier fortified buildings of which relatively little is known. The Porta della Carta (a monumental late-gothic gate on the Piazzetta side of the palace) was added in 1442. This gate leads to a central courtyard.
- Info: It was the residence of the Doge of Venice. As well as being the ducal residence, the palace housed political institutions of the Republic of Venice until the Napoleonic occupation of the city. Venice was ruled by an aristocratic elite, but there was a facility for citizens to submit written complaints at what was known as the Bussola chamber.
AC2 vs Real
AC2 vs Real
Palazzo Dandolo (Pending confirmation)
- History: It was built in 1400 by one of the Dandolo families, but whether by that of the great Doge, Enrico Dandolo, is not quite certain.
- Info: Its architecture in venetian gothic is really beautiful. It well deserved the reputation of being one of the noblest hotels in the world (indeed its artistic
beauties and its historic associations can only be equalled by its unique and romantic position).
San Stefano church
- History: It was founded in the 13th century, rebuilt in the 14th century and altered again early in the 15th century, when the fine gothic doorway and ship's keel roof were added.
- Info: It is a large church at the northern end of the Campo Santo Stefano in Venice. It´s one of the best venetian example of flowered Gothic. The facade unfortunately is on a walking area that doesn't allow to admire the main door. Internally has the typical architecture of fourteenth century's churches: three wide and long naves separated with columns with coloured capitals; pointed arches make slender the structure and increase the magnificence of the building.
AC2 vs Real
Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo (pending confirmation)
- History: It dates from the 15th century.
- Info: Also called Palazzo Contarini Minelli dal Bovolo, this small palace is best known for the external spiral staircase, with a plethora of arches, known as the Scala Contarini del Bovolo (of the snail). The staircase leads to an arcade, providing a charming panoramic view over some of the roof-tops of the city.
Palazzo Malipiero (pending confirmation)
- History: The Ca' Grande (big palace) of Saint Samuel was probably built at the beginning of the 11th century by Soranzo family, which also built in that period the church of St. Samuel facing the Palace. In the 13th century a floor was added to the pre-existing bizantyne style' building, in accordance with to the custom at the time. In the early days of the 15th century the Cappello family became owners of the Palace as a result of marriages with the Soranzos.
- Info: As with most Venetian palaces it is built as two main superposed floors, but unlike other palaces each floor is accessed by its own independent entrance hall, stairway and porta d'acqua (water door). The main door opens onto a large entrance hall leading to the first main floor and to the ancient medieval court-yard. The original part of the building was probably built between the 10th and 11th centuries by Soranzo family in Venetian-Byzantine style, as evidenced by the large door and the quadruple windows with round arches visible on the San Samuele side. In the middle of the 14th century the Soranzo added a second floor, as evidenced by the pointed arch windows. This Gothic design was perfectly amalgamated with the floor below, respecting and incorporating elements of the Byzantine construction. By the mid-15th century the Cappello decided to expand the palace building on an unused area on the garden's side and widening the facade on the Grand Canal.
Ponte Della Paglia (no Animus reference)
- History: It was originally built in 1360, but the current one was constructed in the mid 1800's.
- Info: Ponte della Paglia (meaning "bridge of straw") is a bridge located near Palazzo Ducale, linking Piazzeta San Marco with the Riva degli Schiavoni. It´s name may derive from the boats made of straw that once moored here.
AC2 vs Real
** CASTELLO DISTRICT **
San Zaccaria church
- History: The first church on the site was founded by Doge Giustiniano Particiaco in the 9th century and eight doges are buried in the still extant crypt. The original Romanesque church was rebuilt in the 1170s (when the present campanile was built) and was replaced by a Gothic church in the 14th century. The church was attached to a Benedictine monastery, which was visited by the doge annually at Easter in a ceremony which included presentation of the cornu (ducal cap).
- Info: Dedicated to the father of John the Baptist (whose body it supposedly contains), it is a large building mixing Gothic and Renaissance styles. The interior of the church has an apse surrounded by an ambulatory lit by tall Gothic windows, a typical feature of Northern European church architecture which is unique in Venice. The walls of the aisles are entirely covered with paintings by Giovanni Bellini or Palma the Elder.
Arsenale di Venezia (arsenal shipyard)
- History: The Byzantine-style establishment may have existed as early as the 8th century, though the present structure is usually said to have been begun in 1104. It definitely existed by the early 13th century and is mentioned in Dante's Inferno.
- Info: The Venetian Arsenal was a shipyard and naval depot that played a leading role in Venetian empire-building. Initially the state dockyard worked merely to maintain naval ships built privately, but in 1320 the Arsenal Nuovo was built, much larger than the original. It enabled all the state's navy and the larger merchant ships to be both constructed and maintained in one place. The Arsenal incidentally became an important centre for rope manufacture, while housing for the arsenal workers grew up outside its walls. Venice developed methods of mass-producing warships in the Arsenal, including the frame-first system to replace the Roman hull-first practice. The new system was much faster and required less wood.
The staff of the Arsenal also developed new firearms at an early date, beginning with bombards in the 1370s and numerous small arms against the Genoese a few years later. Improvements in handguns led to their muzzle velocity (and therefore their ability to penetrate armor) exceeding that of the crossbow.
The Arsenal's main gate, the Porta Magna, was built in about 1460 and was the first Classical revival structure to be built in Venice. The Arsenal Novissimo was begun in 1473. It enabled the creation of a system similar to an assembly line, in which hulls were constructed in the newer areas of the Arsenal before being fitted out in the old Arsenal.
AC2 vs Real
Scuola Grande di San Marco
- History: The edifice was built by the Confraternity of San Marco in 1260 to act as its seat. In 1485, however, it was destroyed by a large fire, and rebuilt in the following twenty years under a new design.
- Info: The façade, a masterwork with decorated niches and pilasters and with white or polychrome marble statues, was originally the home to one of the six major sodalities or Scuole Grandi of Venice. While decorated with the polished marble elements of Renaissance classicism, the proliferation of arches and niches adds a retrogressive Byzantine flavor, an architectural feature of many conservative Venetian styles.
(Note that it shouldn´t look like the one in the picture)
Basílica di Santi Giovanni e Paolo (or Zanipolo)
- History: In 1246 Doge Jacopo Tiepolo donated some swampland to the Dominicans after dreaming of a flock of white doves flying over it. The first church was demolished in 1333, when the current church was begun. It was not completed until 1430.
- Info: This basilica is one of the largest churches in the city. A huge brick edifice built in the Italian Gothic style, it is the principal Dominican church of Venice, and as such was built for preaching to large congregations. It is dedicated to John and Paul, two obscure martyrs of the Early Christian church in Rome. The vast interior contains many funerary monuments and paintings, as well as the Madonna della Pace, a miraculous Byzantine statue situated in its own chapel in the south aisle, and a foot of St Catherine of Siena, the church's chief relic.
San Pietro di Castello (was missing)
** CANNAREGIO DISTRICT **
Palazzo Santa Sofia (or Ca' d'Oro) (pending confirmation)
- History: The Palazzo was built between 1428 and 1430 for the Contarini family, who provided Venice with eight Doges between 1043 and 1676. Upon election, each new Doge would leave his own palazzo and take residence in the Doge's Palace.
- Info: One of the older palazzi, it has always been known as Ca' d'Oro (golden house) due to the gilt and polychrome external decorations which once adorned its walls. The principal façade of Ca' d'Oro facing onto the Grand Canal is built in Venetian floral gothic style. On the Ca' d'Oro's ground floor a recessed colonnaded loggia gives access to the entrance hall (portego de mezo) directly from the canal. Above this colonnade is the enclosed balcony of the principal salon on the piano nobile. The columns and arches of this balcony have capitals which in turn support a row of quatrefoil windows of great delicacy; above this balcony is another enclosed balcony or loggia of a similar yet even lighter design. This exterior gives no hint that the palazzo is in fact built around a small inner courtyard.
Palazzo Da Mosto (or Ca' Da Mosto) (pending confirmation)
- History: It was built in the 13th century, being the oldest building on the Grand Canal. A second floor was added at the beginning of the 16th century, and a third in the 19th.
- Info: This palace is in the Veneto-Byzantine style, with high narrow arches and distinctive capitals. This features show its beginnings as a "casa-fondaco", the home and workplace of its original merchant owner. The palace takes its name from the Venetian explorer Alvise da Mosto, who was born in the palace in 1432.
(Note that only the first floor should be seen in the game)
Palazzo Vendramin Calergi (pending confirmation)
- History: It was designed by Mauro Codussi, architect of Chiesa di San Zaccaria and other noteworthy churches and private residences in Venice. Construction began in 1481 and was finished after his death in 1509.
- Info: The spacious Renaissance-style palazzo stands three-stories high with direct access to the Grand Canal available by gondolas. The beauty and balance of the building's façade are exceptional. Classically inspired columns divide each level facing the canal. Two pairs of tall French doors divided by a single column topped by arches and a trefoil window rest above the doors on the piano nobile and upper levels. Opulent paintings, sculptures, and architectural details fill the building's interior. The palazzo is locally known by the nickname "Non Nobis Domine" ("Not unto us, O Lord") from Psalm 113:9, which is engraved in the stone.
Palazzo Soranzo Van Axel (pending confirmation)
- History: The palazzo was built in 1473-79 by Nicolò Soranzo, with use of material of the predecessor pre-gothic palace of the Gradenigo family. After the Soranzo, the building was property of the Venier and Sanudo.
- Info: The two water façades meet in an obtuse angle as a result of the location. The main façade to the Rio della Panada is rather extensive, a fact which is cannot be recognized at once, because there is no possibility (except from the building in front) to see the façade straightly. The porteghi are opened by a four-arch loggia of the sixth order. They are conserved without subdivisions, but also without any wall decorations. The decorated wood ceilings seem to be of a certain value. At the interior, the private rooms gained importance, a fact which can be easily derived from the plan. At least the left wing contains another ceiling in the first piano nobile. Small windows, which are superposed in the right wing of the second piano nobile, give occasion to the assumption that also there are additional ceilings.
Santa Madonna dell'Orto church
- History: It was erected by the Humiliati in the mid-10th century. It was initially dedicated to St. Christopher (patron saint of travellers) but later was consecrated to the Holy Virgin in the following century when, in a nearby orchard (orto in Italian) was found an allegedly miraculous statue of the Madonna. The church lied on weak foundations and in 1399 a restoration project was financed by the city's Maggior Consiglio. The Humiliati were ousted in 1462 and the Madonna dell'Orto was assigned to the congregation of Regular Canons of St. George. The façade was built between 1460 and 1464.
- Info: The façade has sloping sides and is in brickwork, divided in three parts by two pilasters strips. The two side sections have quadruple mullioned windows, while the central has a large rose window. The portal is surmounted by a pointed arch with white stone decorations portraying, on the summit, St. Christopher, the Madonna and the Archangel Gabriel. Under is a tympanum, in porphyry, supported by circular pilaster strips. The whole is included into a porch with Corinthian columns. The upper central section is decorated by small arches and bas-reliefs with geometrical motifs. The upper sides have instead twelve niches each, containing statues of the Apostles.
San Giobbe church
- History: In 1378 a hospice with a small oratory dedicated to San Giobbe attached was begun on this site. The oratory was replaced by the present church by Bernardino of Siena, with the financial backing of doge Cristoforo Moro. Cristoforo donated 10,000 ducats to the building works in 1471, three months before his death, and was buried in the church. Work began in 1450, paused until 1470, and was finally consecrated in 1493.
- Info: It is one of the first examples of Renaissance architecture in the city. Its altarpieces hold Giovanni Bellini's The Virgin enthroned with saints and angels and Vettor Carpaccio's The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple.
statues of the Mastelli brothers (pending confirmation)
- History: The Mastelli brothers were successful entreprenuers from Morea (in the Peloponnese) who invested heavily in the Crusade which, in preference to liberating the Holy Island, sacked Constantinople in 1204. Families like the Mastelli, who would have shared in the looted treasure, made a substantial return on their investment.
- Info: Located in Campo dei Mori are the three satues of the Mastelli brothers: Rioba, Sandi, and Afani. At the corner of the side of the square which runs parallel to the adjacent canal there is a statue of one of them. The other two brothers, proudly dressed in their national costumes, stand over the doorways of their respective houses, one of which overlooks the square, while the other is located on the southern bank of the Rio Madonna Dell'Orto.
Ponte delle Guglie(wooden version) (no Animus reference)
- History: It was made of wood in the year 1285. Later, in 1580 it was replaced by a new bridge made of stone (the actual one).
- Info: Little is known of the wooden version of this bridge.
(note that it shouldn´t look like the one in the picture)
** SAN POLO DISTRICT **
Rialto Bridge (wooden version)
- History: Initially it was a pontoon bridge built in 1181, known as Ponte della Moneta. The development and importance of the Rialto market on the eastern bank increased traffic on the floating bridge, so it was replaced in 1255 by a wooden bridge. It was partly burnt in the revolt led by Bajamonte Tiepolo in 1310. In 1444 it collapsed under the weight of a crowd watching a boat parade and it collapsed again in 1524. The bridge was finally rebuilt in stone and completed in 1591.
- Info: The wooden structure had two inclined ramps meeting at a movable central section, that could be raised to allow the passage of tall ships. The connection with the market eventually led to change the name of the bridge to Rialto. The current stone bridge is remarkably similar to the wooden bridge it succeeded.
AC2 vs Painting
San Giacomo di Rialto church
- History: The church was supposedly consecrated in the year 421. The current church was built sometime during the reign of Doge Domenico Selvo (1071-84) and consecrated in 1177. It survived the fire of 1514 which destroyed most of the market, but must have been damaged as it underwent considerable restoration in 1531 and again in 1599-1601. The clock dates from the 15th century.
- Info: Better known as San Giacometto, this church is believed to be the oldest church in Venice (an inscription on the left-hand pillar in the chancel says 421). Legend goes even further and claims that the church was consecrated at noon on the 21st March 421, this being the date that the republic used to celebrate as Venice's birthday (It's also supposedly the date of The Annunciation). It is notable for the large 15th century clock above the entrance, a useful item in the Venetian business district.
Palazzo Soranzo (pending confirmation)
- History: The oldest part of the building dates from the mid-1300s, but the windows are certainly reminiscent of typical 14th-century models. The second building, which features a stunning window with eight supporting arches, is clearly 15th-century in style and was once decorated with much-admired frescos by Giorgione.
- Info: The two Soranzo Palazzos face the delightful Campo San Polo. The building referred to as the "old house" is situated on the left, whereas the one known as the "new house" is on the right. With their refined elegance, they undoubtedly enhance the atmosphere of airy, ordered beauty that fills what is surely one of the most lively and popular squares in Venice. The striking facade faces out towards the square, where there was a canal (Rio Sant’Antonio) that was covered over in 1761.
San Polo church (pending confirmation)
- History: The current Gothic church dates from the 15th century, but a church has stood on the site since the 9th century and the beautiful south doorway, possibly by Bartolomeo Bon, survives from this church.The detached campanile was built in 1362.
- Info: This church, dedicated to the Apostle Paul, gives its name to the San Polo sestiere of the city. The 15th century work resulted in the gothic windows and the impressive South doorway by the Bon workshop. The façade is now hidden by the Oratorio del Crocifisso, but from the nearby Corte de Cafetier you can see the Gothic rose windows with trefoil arches and irregular quatrefoils. The apses face onto Campo San Polo and have several carvings, including (right) the 14th Century relief of The Enthroned Madonna and Child with St Peter and St Paul.
San Cassiano church
- History: Founded in the 9th Century and reconstructed in the 13th/14th with this church consecrated in 1376. The interior was restored in the early 17th Century to its current appearance, this work finishing in 1663. The portico was demolished in the 19th Century.
- Info: Outside it just looks like a big box. The rio-facing façade misses its portico and is encroached on by buildings. It retains its Byzantine-era doorposts, possibly from the original church. Entry is usually now via the small side-door onto the campo.
Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari church
- History: The Franciscan friars (or Frari) came to Venice in 1222, but had no permanent home until Doge Jacopo Tiepolo gave them some land in 1236, adjacent to the abandoned Benedictine abbey they were inhabiting. The church that they built in 1250, extending the abbey, was much smaller than the one we see today. The current church was built in the mid-14th Century. The campanile, the second tallest in the city after that of San Marco, was completed in 1396.
- Info: The imposing edifice is built of brick, and is one of the city's three notable churches built in the Italian Gothic style. The exuberant, but brick-plain, Gothic façade contrasts with the more restrained façade on the Dominican’s San Zanipolo, built at the same time. Stand in the campo at it’s north-eastern front –the one with the canal running through it - to see the sequence of three entrances and three oculi windows with the stout campanile rising above the middle one.
AC2 vs Real
Altar AC2 vs Real
Scuola Grande di S. Giovanni Evangelista
- History: Built at the end of the 14th century and finished in the 15th century.
- Info: It is possibe to enter the courtyard through a beautiful gateway created by Pietro Lombardo topped by an eagle pediment and a frieze of leaf sprays, the symbol of the patron saint of this Scuola, San Giovanni Evangelista. The first floor hall is somewhat plain, merely a large room with a dark wood ceiling and several columns dividing the room up the middle. In the 2nd floor hall there is a large room with many beautiful paintings by Tintoretto, Palme il Giovane, and Tiepolo covering the wails and the ceiling. The hall is headed by the altar created by Giorgio Massari featuring San Giovanni Evangelista.
** SANTA CROCE DISTRICT **
San Giacomo dall'Orio church
- History: It was founded in the 9th century and rebuilt in 1225. The campanile dates from this period. There have been a number of rebuildings since that time (including a major renovation in 1532) and the ship's keel roof dates from the 14th century.
- Info: The origin of the church's name is unknown. Possibilities include being named after a laurel (lauro) that once stood nearby, a version of dal Rio ("of the river"), or once standing on an area of dried-up swamp (luprio). Two of the columns were brought back from the Fourth Crusade. Also, the painted crucifix hanging in front of the high altar is attributed to Paolo Veneziano.
Fondaco dei Turchi
- History: The palace was constructed in the first half of the 13th century. The Venetian Republic purchased it in 1381 for Niccolò II d'Este, the Marquess of Ferrara. During its early history, the palazzo also served as a home to many visiting dignitaries. The building was in a very bad state by the mid-19th century, and was completely rebuilt between 1860 and 1880, with little regard for the original Byzantine design.
- Info: Fondaco dei Turchi (or Fontego dei Turchi in venetian, meaning "The Turks' Inn") is a Byzantine palazzo on the Grand Canal of Venice. The main features of the palace are its twin Gothic towers and double loggia in the Veneto-Byzantine style. The loggia facilitated the easy collection and dispatch of goods.
(note that it should like the one to the right, as it was before renovation)
** DORSODURO DISTRICT **
- History: It was built on the waterfront of the city's Grand Canal circa 1452 by the Doge Francesco Foscari, who required its design to demonstrate his wealth and power.
- Info: This palazzo is a fine example of the florid Byzantine-inspired gothic architecture that distinguishes so many of the palazzi lining the Grand Canal built during the Renaissance period. The main reception floor is distinguished on the facade by a large eight-arch loggia, that is doubled in the second floor. Each of the loggias is flanked by two ogee topped windows ornamented with the same design of tracery. This gives the palazzo a symmetry not common to the other palazzi of this period.
Santa Maria dei Carmini church
- History: Founded by the Carmelite fathers in 1286 and consecrated in 1348. Rebuilt with a new façade facing the canal in the early 16th Century.
- Info: The brick façade facing the square and the canal is early Venetian Renaissance. The statues are, from the top, the redeemer, the annunciation and the prophets Elijia and Elisha. The last two are considered the founders of the Carmelite order. The side entrance on Calle de la Scuola is the original 14th Century façade and features Byzantine palm-leaf detailing.
(to the right is the church in the E3 trailer)
San Gregorio church
- History: Founded in 806 and given to Benedictine monks in 989 who founded an abbey here in 1160. The current church dates from the mid-15th Century.
- Info: It's closely modelled on the nearby church of the Carità with its three-part Gothic façade and has a triple-apse facing onto a canal at the rear. Built into the façade of the canonica to the right is an arch from a 14th Century funerary monument.
San Nicolo dei Mendicoli church
- History: The first church was built in the 7th century, becaming a Greek-cross shaped in the next Century. When fire destroyed it in 1105, the current church was built. In the late 12th Century it was dedicated to St Nicholas of Myra. The church was restored in 1361-4 and remodelled in 1553-80. The last major changes were made in 1750-60 when the new entrance façade was created.
- Info: The name 'dei Mendicoli' means 'of the Beggars', reflecting the area's long history as home to Venice's working classes, traditionally fishermen and their families. The 15th Century porch was once a common feature then, but now the only other one is at San Giacomo di Rialto. Poor and virtuous women were allowed to shelter and sleep here.
- History: It was founded in the 10th-11th Century and rebuilt early in the 14th after a big fire. Reconsecrated in 1321. It has been restored in later centuries.
- Info: There was once a small convent attached to this church, and it was traditional for the nuns to adopt six orphan girls and raise them to adulthood, which fits since St. Agnes is the patron saint of young girls. Though it was remodeled in the Middle Ages, the original walls of the nave were never destroyed. Above the roofs of the side aisles, their wonderful preGothic brickwork (a repeating pattern of steep, cusped arcades in the shape of a cursive “M”) is still visible.
Santa Maria della Carità church
- History: The first church and convent were founded in 1134 by an Augustinian order of friars from Ravenna. In 1260 the buildings passed to the Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della Carità. A guildhall was built beside the convent in 1344, followed in 1441-52 by a larger church. The convent was rebuilt in 1552.
- Info: Once an interesting Gothic church of the fourteenth century, lately defaced and turn into the oldest accademia of the six Scuole Grande in Venice. The first room was the chapter house of the Scuola, with a gilded ceiling. It is one of the two rooms where original features can be seen. The other is the albergo of the Scuola, which is adjacent to the chapter house. It has benches and a 15th Century ceiling, along with Titian's very architectural Presentation of the Virgin in its original position.
* ISLANDS *
- San Niccolò Church (10th century)
- Jewish Cementery (1386)
- Santi Maria e Donato church (7th century)
- Palazzo da Mula (15th century)
- Palazzo Giustinian (15th century)
- San Michele all'Isola church (1469)
San Giorgio Maggiore
- San Giorgio church (9th century)
Sant'Elena church (1435)