Thread: Myst 5 | Forums

Hi Guys, does anyone know if the new game contains any of those awfull timed puzzles found in Myst 4 or have they gone back to the original concept of Myst and Riven?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi Guys, does anyone know if the new game contains any of those awfull timed puzzles found in Myst 4 or have they gone back to the original concept of Myst and Riven?

Hard to say... all we really know at this point is that the puzzles will still be challenging, but perhaps in a different way than those in Myst IV, and to some extent, Uru.

Rand Miller has stated that they're backing off a bit on the difficulty, and I would assume he means that the timed and physical puzzles that drew so much flak during Uru and Myst IV are being phased out in favor of a more traditional approach. But note that it won't be all buttons and levers... evidently, a big part of our interface in Myst V is a slate, whereupon we inscribe special characters or something in order to communicate with other beings and modify the environment in various ways.

Personally, I strongly suspect that the timed puzzles that drove us nuts in Uru - The Path of the Shell were a compromise brought on by the loss of Uru Live. Just thinking about the whole "drop the pellets and wait" debacle makes me think that that was originally intended to be a multi-player challenge; and losing that capability, they resorted to a time delay to allow us to link from the upper cave to the lower one to see what happened. That's mere speculation on my part, but I think there may be something to it. Myst V is being created as a single-player adventure from the start, so I seriously doubt that timed puzzles will play any part in the adventure. Personally, one of my favorite bits in Riven involved timing; waiting for the frog trap. But there was a logic to that. It was much like fishing, where you don't expect immediate results, and the wait simply builds the suspense. You KNEW something was going to happen. And face it, the waiting in Path of the Shell wouldn't have been so bad at all, if it weren't for the fact that we had to sit for around fifteen minutes just waiting for something to happen. That was just poor. Part of the art of telling a story is pacing, and when you lose that, the whole story falls apart at your feet. I feel that this happened in Path of the Shell, and again, I think they'll have eliminated any such features from Myst V.

Be sure to catch The Cavern Today podcast -- the voice of the Uru community! www.thecaverntoday.com

Prologue KI #946599
    D'mala KI #60628

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mowog:
    But note that it won't be all buttons and levers... evidently, a big part of our interface in Myst V is a slate, whereupon we inscribe special characters or something in order to communicate with other beings and modify the environment in various ways. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Fortunately, according to one article I've read, once you get a symbol right, it's "remembered" so you don't have to draw it every time, you can just have the computer draw it for you. The slight downside, at least in the beta that the previewer played, is that if it took you 10 minutes to get the symbol right, it'll take the game 10 minutes to re-draw it each time, so you may want to work on your speed if you're up to it.

Of course, for tablet owners (such as myself), this should all be quite a piece of cake. Go Wacom . I imagine it might be easier on those with laptops capable of playing it too, since you can trace the symbol on your touchpad if your laptop is equipped with that instead of those insufferable mouse nubs in the middle of the keyboard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Personally, I strongly suspect that the timed puzzles that drove us nuts in Uru - The Path of the Shell were a compromise brought on by the loss of Uru Live. Just thinking about the whole "drop the pellets and wait" debacle makes me think that that was originally intended to be a multi-player challenge; and losing that capability, they resorted to a time delay to allow us to link from the upper cave to the lower one to see what happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Having been in the Uru Live beta test prior to the game's release, I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that this is indeed what happened... all of the timed aspects of the initial release's puzzles were implemented because the game was shifting from a multi-player environment to a single-player one.
    ----------
    Guild of Archivists,
    D'niPedia Writers Ring (DPWR.NET)
    Uru and Myst Forum Moderator / Community Assistant
    Do not PM me for tech support or hint requests for the Myst series

Thanks guys, I'll look forward to game release

i didnt even think about that before, id better practice