Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install and run Far Cry | Forums

Far Cry Classic Launch Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - The year is 2007, it is the future

Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Bundle Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Outpost App [UK]

Please read this and follow the directions carefully and if you still have trouble post a question.

Congratulations, you have purchased the best FPS (First Person Shooter) in the world. Far Cry has amazingly detailed outdoor and indoor environments, deadly clever AI (Artificial Intelligence), non-linear gameplay with clear objectives and addictive replay value. Multiplayer Far Cry is a small, friendly community by video game standards.

You will need a fairly beefy computer to play the game, especially the video card.
    Bare Minimum System Requirements are in the link but in actual practice you need at least the following just to get low resolution with low graphics details.

- Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2000 / Pentium 4 2 Ghz
    - Memory: 512 MB of RAM.
    - Controls: A keyboard and mouse are required
    - Video: A 3D accelerator video card with support for DirectXâ® 9.0b and at least 128 MB of video memory is required.
    - Sound: A DirectXâ®-compatible 16-bit PCI sound card is recommended.

To get high graphics and the full effect of the AI you need at least:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ / Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
    1024 MB system memory
    ATI X800 or better / Nvidia 6800 or better

- Multiplayer Connectivity: Access to UBI.com online gaming service, requires a low-latency, active Internet connection, rated at 64 Kbps upstream or faster. Multiplayer games played over a LAN require an active connection to a TCP/IP network. We recommend the use of cable or ADSL connection with 512 Kb/s in downstream and 128 kb/s in upstream.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Installing Far Cry

Far Cry comes in two formats, a 5 CD set and a single DVD. If you have the DVD, you need to have a DVD ROM or DVD burner to install the game. Most optical drives come with software to copy data to a blank disc. Some of these programs may interfere with the installation of Far Cry because of copy protection reasons.

Make sure you have 4 GB of space on your hard drive and defrag the drive before you install. Defragging should be done on a regular basis (like once a week)

Put CD-1 into the drive and select "Install" you will be prompted for a location to put the game. You can install it on any disk or partition in any folder you want, just remember where it is.
    The default location is: C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry
    but this will work just as well if you have a second drive like D:\games\Farcry
    Follow the instructons to swap out disks when the installer asks for the next disk.

Q. What if my drive does not work with Far Cry?
    There are some drives that are known to have issues installing the game. The only thing to do is find another optical drive to do the installation with. In some cases, you might try updating the firmware for your drive or running the installation at a slower speed.
    Unofficial list of unsupported drives

When you are done you should have CD-1 back in the drive and be ready to launch the game. But wait. Many of the newer video cards on the market were released after the game came out so they will not work properly. This can be scary for a gamer new to Far Cry since they have a top of the line computer but Far Cry looks horrible. The answer is to use the patches. A patch is a small program that adds information to the game that changes the way the game runs. There have been several patches for Far Cry but the latest patch for Single Player is 1.3. This patch changes some things in Single Player like run speed and stamina and alters the strength of some of the weapons but it also configures the game to support newer graphics cards like Nvidia 6600, 6800, 7800 series and ATI X600, X700 X800 and X850 series.
    If you want to go online and try Multiplayer Far Cry you will also need two other patches. 1.31 and 1.33 should be installed in order to get online. These patches have some anticheating measures and check to make sure that both client and server are running the same version.

YOU MUST HAVE THE 1.33 PATCH TO PLAY ON a 1.33 SERVER ONLINE
    YOU MUST HAVE THE 1.4 PATCH TO PLAY ON a 1.4 SERVER ONLINE

Patch 1.4 readme file

Get the patches here:
    Patch 1.3
    Patch 1.31
    Patch 1.33
    Patch 1.4 (stand alone)

Patch 1.4 Cumulative

DocSEAL's all-in-one patch
    !!If you used this all-in-one patch to go from 1.0 to 1.33, you will not be able to upgrade to 1.4 normally. You must uninstall all the patches and add them one at a time or use the 1.4 cumulative patch.

Q. How do I install the patches. I downloaded them but they did not work.
    After you download the patch, it must be installed to work properly. Install the patches buy double clicking the patch icon and following the instructions. You must "point" the patch installer to the farcry.exe file on your hard disk (remember the location?) Use the browse feature to find your farcry.exe file. The default location is C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry\Bin32

Far Cry is now installed on your computer and ready for use.

Q. I installed as above but when I try to run the game, I get the picture of the guy and girl and then nothing happens
    This is a common problem and there are a few causes. It could be that you do not have a powerful enough computer to run the game. If you do not have at least a Radeon 9200 or FX5200 video card or if you have on-board video, you cannot run Far Cry.
    You might need to update your video drivers.
    Get Catalyst drivers from ATI here: ATI downloads
    Get Forceware drivers here: Nvidia downloads
    Use driver cleaner to remove all traces of old drivers before you install new ones.

Single Player

So you finished the game and are looking for more? Try a new Map or Mod created by another gamer. Check this sticky post. How to install Maps and Mods

Multiplayer

Once you have installed Far Cry and have played the Single Player campaign you might want to try Multiplayer. If you think the Mercs were tough on realistic, you ain't seen nuttin until your try to capture and hold a flag in Assault or try to stay alive in Free-for-all.
    Take a look at this sticky Tips For People new to Multiplayer

Click the multiplayer tab on the main menu
    Here is where you log onto the UBI.com server to get a list of game servers. If this is your first time, select a username and password to create an account. If you are reading this, you may have already created an account with UBI and you can use that same one. Now you will be asked for the first time to input the CD Key that is displayed on the back of your instruction manual. This is the only time you should have to input this code. There are situations where your key will be "stuck" in a server after you leave it, but if you wait a few minutes, the key will be released on its own.

Q. It says my CD Key is invalid, why?
    The key should be input in all caps and there are some capital letters that look like numbers and vice versa. a common mistake is to input the letter "O" instead of the number 0 (zero) Make sure you type the key in correctly with the dashes.

Q. It says its logging onto UBI.com but never does, why?
    You may have a problem with your firewall not allowing access to the internet. Some firewall solutions are not compatable with Far Cry online and must be removed to play the game.
    See this post Configuring Windows Firewall

More Information on CD key problems
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...1/m/1851035272
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...1/m/7071052462

Once you are connected, you should see a list of servers and other information. The first thing you should do is click on the column heading labeled "ping". Ping is a measure of how good the connection is between your computer and the server running the game. Always pick the lowest ping number you can when you join a server (under 100 is good).
    The next thing to do is look on the list for a server that is running the kind of game you would like to play. The three types of game are:
    Assault - Red and Blue teams compete to capture or defend flags
    FFA - Free-for-all Every man for himself. Compete for highest number of kills
    TDM - Team deathmatch Red and Blue teams compete to get the most total kills.

Finally, and very important, Make sure the map that is being played on the server you select is in your levels directory on your hard drive.
    The default location for Far Cry maps is:
    C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry\levels

DO NOT ENTER A SERVER THAT IS PLAYING A MAP THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE

If you do not have the map that the server is running, you will be kicked out of the server and it will retain your CD key for a few minutes. If you try to join another server before your key is released, you will get a "CD Key in use" error message or it may prompt you to re-enter the key. You do not need to re-enter the key. Just wait, or log out of UBI.com and try again in a few minutes.

Q. OK, so where do I get new maps?

We are very lucky to have dedicated mapmakers, server admins and community leaders who provide access to new maps FREE OF CHARGE.

Go to http://www.farcry-maps.com and register. Please do not download every map at one time. Most maps that are running on servers can be found in one of the 4 mappacks that are available. They are called Unofficial Mapack, Unofficial Mapack #2, Unofficial Mapack #3, Springcreatures Mapack. After downloading, install the maps by double clicking on the installer icon and pointing the installer to the ..\farcry\levels folder.

Uninstalling the Game.

If you would like to remove the game from your hard drive, follow these steps.

1. Run the most recent patch installer by double clicking the icon. Select "remove" and click OK to remove the patch.
    2. Do this for each patch you have installed until you are back to the original installation of the game. (So 1.33 then 1.31, then 1.3)
    3. Uninstall Far Cry using the original disk in your optical drive.
    4. Delete the Far Cry folder (if it is still there)
    Reboot the computer and defragment the drive. Far Cry is no more.

If a file gets corrupted and you need to repair the game do the following:

1. Save the following items to a different folder.
    Profiles folder
    Downloaded maps
    Patches
    Screenshots
    2. Run the most recent patch installer (ie. 1.33) by double clicking the icon. Select "remove" and click OK to remove the patch.
    3. Do this for each patch you have installed until you are back to the original installation of the game. (So 1.33 then 1.31, then 1.3)
    4. Run the Far Cry installer disk in your optical drive and select "repair"
    5. Repatch the game as explained earlier in this post.
    6. Copy back the saved items (Profiles folder, patches, maps, etc.)

Q. I uninstalled the game but now when I try to add a patch, it says the patch is already installed.
    Q. I uninstalled Far Cry and now I want to play again but it will not let me re-install.

You did not remove the patches before uninstalling the game, or you did not use the uninstall program to remove the game from the windows registry. There are Far Cry entries in the registry that are blocking you. You need to "clean" the registry and/or repair windows installer. Here are some things to try.

Download CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) and run it to remove Far Cry registry entries.
    Download Windows Installer cleanup utility and run it. Remove Far Cry files from the list.
    Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 by downloading from the link and running the program.
    Last edited by Black_Widow9; 02-03-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

this is a definite sticky that needed to be made!

I get this as error !! [img]img205/3235/errorinstall7bp.jpg[/img]

****ed ... the picture can't load ... i'll type the error :

Error 1305.Error reading from file C:\MyGames\Ubisoft\FCDate\_ocalized\english.pak. Verify that the file exists and that you can acces it !

( It does exist ) can't complete the install !!!! S.O.S. !!! I used to have it on my pc, and now i can't play it anymore :S SOS !!! SEND HELP !!!!!

My problem is that I can load the game but it immediately dumps me straight back to the desktop without any error notice.
    My specs are:
    AMD 3000+ 939 Winchester o/c to 2005Mhz
    ECS Extrem mobo
    Elixir 512Mb DDR 400
    Nvidia FX 5500 128Mb
    DirectX 9.0c
    Maxtor 40Gb and Excelstor 40Gb HDD
    WinXP Pro SP2

i have i athlon 64 3700+ running windows xp (but not the 64bit version} with 512 ram, nvidia 7800gt and asus a8n. i installed farcry then ran the game and it was all running smoothly untili tried to start a game and after the starting film( the one with the boat n stuff) it just closed the game. plz can u help

I think this forum contravenes the trades description act! It is supposed to be a place to get solutions to technical problems but so far I have seen very few. Mostly no one replies to our many woes concerning the running of this game. As someone else said in another thread "it's a good job I got it for free". I actually got as a bonus when buying another game but now I know why - they had to give it away because it's so bad

somebody please help me out. I am almost crazy.
    I swear I did everything, but everytime I tried to start the game, always saw that guy and the girl for 5 minute, then gave me this information

AppName: farcry.exe AppVer: 1.1.0.1230 ModName: ~df394b.tmp
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0008d86b

My PC: Dell E510, P4 3.0G/1280M Ram/Gforce 6800
    I played Prince of persia 2/3 and NFS 9 without any problem.

So can anyone help me out. thanks a lot

I have tried relentlessly to install Far Cry. Everything I have tried leads me up to this error...Error 1335. The cabinet file 'Datacab.1' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. Easy enough. So, I go get my roommates copy of Far Cry and, guess what? I get the same error! I have defragged before installation. Tried installing the game from my desktop, etc. to no avail!
    What gets me the most is, I had installed the game before and it installed fine. I reformatted my hard drive after an unsuccessful run with TruImage which didn't exactly give me a true image. My OS started to fall apart. So, I dumped it and installed all of my programs, blah, blah, blah and, went to reinstall Far Cry on the same CDROM drive I used to install it before(Toshiba 52x) and I get nothing but errors. I am thinking this is an issue with Ubisoft since I got frustrated and tried installing Rainbox Six 3(also by Ubisoft) and got errors with that too! Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    P.S. I am running Xp Pro with SP2, completely updated except for Microsoft Net Framework which has a compatibility issue with my Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Platinum...Thanks!

Originally posted by customkramer:
    and, went to reinstall Far Cry on the same CDROM drive I used to install it before(Toshiba 52x) and I get nothing but errors. !
    There's your problem. I bought a bunch of those drives from Mwave.com
    and every one of them failed. I got a BIOS update for them, and actually
    had one working, but the noise just drove me crazy. I'm having much
    better all-around results with the Sony drives. Toshiba .. just like
    Plextor .. was slow in updating their "ASPI layer" something or other
    that makes the drives WinXP compatible.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast