Thread: Damage Control and Flooding | Forums

Okay, I'm gonna a throw this out here, because I'm finding the whole crew management and damage control thing totally confusing and not as simplified as the whole damage control system employed in SH3.

I realise that this game is a totally different animal, but come on this screen is not very intuitive at all, and the manual is a waste of Amazon rain forest - I'm staring at this screen and I'm making no sense of it.

How do I stop any form of flooding? Is there a special command I have to give?

And lastly is there some form of tutorial or explanation of how the damage control system works?

I'm banging my head against a brick wall here And my head hurts...any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I think he means more specificly than that thread, like how do you order them to pump out the water that is making us sink below crush depth rather than fixing the toilet :P

I for one have no idea, It just feels automatic except for the prioritize fixing thing

"The convoy lights are dead ahead The Merchantmen lay in their bed....
    A cunning fox in the chickens lair, A hound of hell and the devil don't care"

Goose...in SH4 you just fill up the damage control slots (either in port with extra hands, or at sea with your other crew). Hit the DC button and that is it. You have no other control. Either they fix it, or they don't.

The entire crew management system is in serious need of some bright fellow's time.

Dance of the Dragon
    [URL=http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=6421019045&m=5111

Originally posted by Liddabit:
    I think he means more specificly than that thread, like how do you order them to pump out the water that is making us sink below crush depth rather than fixing the toilet :P
    That was exactly what I meant...thanks for explaining it better than I

I had checked out the link before, and although it was a little vague, there was enough there for me to go on. Before I left port I sorted out the damage control team and filled it up by choosing a couple of guys with the prop blade symbol as their primary qualification and then I filled up all the other slots with guys who had the crossed hammers symbol. I take it this is the best I could do?

Mind you, it's my first patrol so experience is a little thin on the ground. Anyway, thanks for the input to everyone

EDIT

Here is a shot of my crew set up;

On a side note, is there a limit to the number of officers you can have on board the boat? Is it not advantageous to have an officer to head each section?

Originally posted by Goose_Green:Before I left port I sorted out the damage control team and filled it up by choosing a couple of guys with the prop blade symbol as their primary qualification and then I filled up all the other slots with guys who had the crossed hammers symbol. I take it this is the best I could do?
    Yep, that's basically how it works. And you can promote those DC guys to increase performance over the course of a career, although I tend to prioritize torpedo and sensor crews first.

On a side note, is there a limit to the number of officers you can have on board the boat? Is it not advantageous to have an officer to head each section?
    It's a good idea to put an officer at the head of crews like DC, deck gun etc., and there's no limit to the number of officers on your crew... unfortunately.

It gets silly at the end of a long career after promotions are handed out, because you'll be crewing a boat full of officers with no enlisted men. The game doesn't model the way actual crews rotated out, refreshed with new recruits. If you want a more realistic crew, then "fire" some of your officers by dragging them over to the left panel in port, and hire newbies.

I think the first step to control a low or moderate flooding in the SH4 game is to click the button all crew to battlestation ,but if the damage is extreme ,can be impossible to control the flooding , I must complain about the slowliness of this damage control in SH4, in SH3 Game,usually "85%"was possible to control the flooding after a few minutes (I know is unrealistic but this is only a game)in the SH4 Game can take more than half hour , I think this is too much for a quick Game

Yes, crew to battlestations is a good idea. Also, in the damage control page you can prioritise items to fix. I get the bulkhead repairs and any pumps to the top of the list. Intuition tells me this ought to help, although those with more in-depth knowledge may be able to clarify.

16 war patrols
    10 battle stars

Originally posted by walkirie:
    I think the first step to control a low or moderate flooding in the SH4 game is to click the button all crew to battlestation ,but if the damage is extreme ,can be impossible to control the flooding , I must complain about the slowliness of this damage control in SH4, in SH3 Game,usually "85%"was possible to control the flooding after a few minutes (I know is unrealistic but this is only a game)in the SH4 Game can take more than half hour , I think this is too much for a quick Game
    I disagree, SH3 Damage Control seems far too easy and quick for me.

As someone else posted, move bulkheads, pumps and compressors to the top slots of the damage screen so they get immediate attention.

Don't forget, as you flood, the boat gets heavier, so watch your depth. It's often necessary to increase speed and decrease depth until the flooding is under control or else you will sink below crush depth and that's never a good thing.