Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install different mods using JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) | Forums

I successfully use JSGME ( get it here ) to install different kinds of Silent Hunter III mods. From reading these forums, some people seem to get stuck and confused with the different ways that mod designers package their files, so I thought I'd write up how I do it:

(I assume you've already installed JSGME as instructed. This will create an empty 'MODS' folder in your Silent Hunter III folder)

For a mod that comes packaged with its own folder structure
    For example, Ail's excellent mods ( Get them here )

1. In the MODS folder, create a folder for the mod you plan to install. Give the folder a name to help you remember what the mod is:

Silent Hunter III/MODS/[mod folder name]

2. Use a program like UnRAR/WinRAR to extract the RAR file into [mod folder name].

3. Run JSGME to install the mod!

What if the mod doesn't come packaged with its own folder structure?
    AIL mods (and probably some others) are packaged so that the files are in a folder structure that mimics where they need to be located in the Silent Hunter III folder. This folder structure tells JSGME where to put the files, so they are easy to install using the above method. However, many mods don't come packaged with this built-in folder structure, so they need a different process:

1. In the MODS folder, create a folder for the mod you plan to install. Give the folder a name to help you remember what the mod is:

2. Read the instructions that come with the mod to learn where the files are meant be installed in the Silent Hunter III folder (the instructions are usually contained as a text file in the Zip or RAR file you downloaded). Make sure you understand the folder structure.

3. In your MODS folder, re-create this folder structure inside the folder you created in step 1. For example, if the instructions say to extract the file into 'Silent Hunter 3/data/Textures/TNormal/tex/', then you need to create a folder structure like this: 'Silent Hunter 3/MODS/[mod folder name]/data/Textures/TNormal/tex/' If the mod includes several files that need to be put into different folders, you will need to create these other folders in the same way as I've just described.

4. Use a program like UnRAR/WinRAR/WinZip to extract the RAR/Zip file(s) into the appropriate folder(s) you made in step 3.

5. Run JSGME to install the mod!

What about mods that are provided with an installer (.exe file)?
    Easy! Follow these instructions:

2. Run the installer as normal, except when it asks where your Silent Hunter III folder is, point the installer to 'Silent Hunter III/MODS/[mod folder name]' instead.

3. Run JSGME to install the mod!

I hope that all helps. Feel free to suggest any better ways you've found!

Silent Hunter 3 Community Manual website

[url=http://www.thegreywolves.com][b]GWX 3.0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Just a note to other users that may have a problem at the initializing screen of SH3 if using the jsgme mod installer with the Aces' SH3 Hi-Res Uniforms, Insignia & Medals mk2. Evidently based on what I've read at the Subsim forum SH3 doesn't like having certain muliple files, even if they have renamed extensions (jsgme renames the original file extension to whatever you called the directory under the Mods directory).
    Solution: At the present time don't use the jsgme tool for this mod. Backup your original files first, then install Aces mod replacing the originals.

Help!
    How do you restructure the file folder so the mod can be used in JSGME? I do not know how to do this.
    May all of your torpedoes run hot, straight, and normal.
    -------------------------------
    ...And on the eighth day God created the helicopter and saw that it was good...

NEVER GIVE UP!

First, you need to know the destination directory of the file(s) in question.
    Then copy the ‘path’ (Directory Tree) by creating folders with the same names, with the Mod files residing in the last (destination) folder.

i.e. / e.g. â€" If you have a Mod file that goes into the <span class="ev_code_white">TNormal\tex</span> Folder (the ‘tex’ folder being the Destination Directory): then you create a series of the four folders named:

data
    Textures
    TNormal
    tex

Placing each within the previous: Textures into data, TNormal into Textures, tex into TNormal … (Ultimately ending with the Mod file(s) within the last).

..and include your Mod File Inside the last …
    If composed for distribution then Zip the <span class="ev_code_white">data</span> folder, using either Winzip or WinRar, or whichever… Which will zip the complete directory structure so composed.
    Be Sure that each folder is in the proper sequence, as well …

Best,
    ~ C.

This is an excellent post, very informative. Good work!

Thank you for the description on how JSGME works, that you have to make a MOD installation into "Silent Hunter III/MODS/[mod folder name]" before you run JSGME.

Now I have installed Grey Wolves successfully!

Banned
    Sticky ? Maybe included with Messervy's sticky, or replace that one(if it doesn't hurt his feelings).

BTW, I have put my Ubisoft folder on my desktop for easy access. Then I put empty folders in the Ubisoft folder with nothing but File Structures inside. That way when say WinRar extracts the download to your desktop(I prefer desktop, then I drag and drop into other folders I put on desktop for my Mod Collection), if not already structured for SH3, I go to my Ubisoft folder and copy & paste the desired file structure needed. I also have one for when I design Intro Screens.

Banned
    Bump<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Proud Member Of The Kreigsmarine 4th Flotilla LuS Strelow's Personnel File
    Community Manual
    VikingGrandad's JSGME Instructions
    Tuddley's FileFront Page - Includes Randomization Pack with Intro Screens & Pinup Girls ! ! !

Just a thought - at least one mod (SH3CmdrCSP - the skin pack) is zipped using "7z" - it's an open source archiving format that works (packing and unpacking) on .7z, .zip, .gzip, .bzip2 and .tar files and (unpacking only) on .rar, .cab, .iso, .arj, .lzh, .chm formats and others. You can download it at http://www.7-zip.org/ ; you can select which folder to put the extracted files into once it starts. I downloaded the 7z file into the mods folder and it created a new folder for the CSP.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gchalcraft/sm/British Submarines of World War Two

44:15:20.09N 76:27:14.10W

Where's me bubble?

Banned
    The contents of the SH3CmdrCSP go in Sh3 Commander/Cfg folder, not the Mods Folder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast