Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed My Stutter!! | Forums

Hello All,

I thought I'd post about how I solved a stutter issue with Lock-On. I stumbled upon an interesting problem with my Windows XP services due to an investigation into what was causing a 10 fps stutter every other second or so in Lock-On.

At first I thought the stutter I was experiencing (drop from 32fps to 15-20fps, every second or so) was due to a sound issue like so many have reported. After turning down hardware acceleration I was still experiencing the issue.

Next I made sure nothing was running on my pc that might cause LockOn to run slowly. I then came across my Software Firewall Sygate which was running, I noticed it was blocking network traffic. About every second or so. It turns out that the driver: ndisuio.sys was sending and trying to receive network traffic which was being blocked by my firewall. I thought this was interesting, so I disconnected my cable modem and ran Lock-On again. NO STUTTER! After further investigation I found this thread: http://www.iceteks.com/forums/index....opic=1290&st=0
    (see page 3)
    It turns out that ndisuio.sys is controlled by the Wireless Zero Config service in you local services. I disabled this service and the stutter ceased. The service is primarily for wireless routers and mice/bluetooth hardware.

I hope this helps others who may have similar problems. Note: Activation of ndisuio.sys could be an indicator that svhost.exe has been compromised by a trojan/hacker, it is a good idea to install the windows xp security patch located here for this file vulnerability: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Note: if you do use wireless hardware, then you will need to keep this service running.

Gunslinger5577
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hello All,

I thought I'd post about how I solved a stutter issue with Lock-On. I stumbled upon an interesting problem with my Windows XP services due to an investigation into what was causing a 10 fps stutter every other second or so in Lock-On.

At first I thought the stutter I was experiencing (drop from 32fps to 15-20fps, every second or so) was due to a sound issue like so many have reported. After turning down hardware acceleration I was still experiencing the issue.

Next I made sure nothing was running on my pc that might cause LockOn to run slowly. I then came across my Software Firewall Sygate which was running, I noticed it was blocking network traffic. About every second or so. It turns out that the driver: ndisuio.sys was sending and trying to receive network traffic which was being blocked by my firewall. I thought this was interesting, so I disconnected my cable modem and ran Lock-On again. NO STUTTER! After further investigation I found this thread: http://www.iceteks.com/forums/index....opic=1290&st=0
    (see page 3)
    It turns out that ndisuio.sys is controlled by the Wireless Zero Config service in you local services. I disabled this service and the stutter ceased. The service is primarily for wireless routers and mice/bluetooth hardware.

I hope this helps others who may have similar problems. Note: Activation of ndisuio.sys could be an indicator that svhost.exe has been compromised by a trojan/hacker, it is a good idea to install the windows xp security patch located here for this file vulnerability: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Note: if you do use wireless hardware, then you will need to keep this service running.

Gunslinger5577

XyZspineZyX
    - my wireless zero config is disabled
    - is svchost doing anything vital ? should maybe turned off too ? i see that usualy uses the bigest number of resources when theres no application running

:: Squid ::

I feel the need, the need for ...eyecandy [img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif[/img]

My svhost.exe is still running. I was told removal of the file would screw up windows. But I'm not sure about disabling it, I haven't tried that. But disabling the Wireless service removed my stutter.. At least I haven't had an instance of it since disabling it.

Gunslinger5577

Here's an interesting comment from sygate tech supp: "You might try taking the server rights from svchost.exe. In the applications list you can highlight this service and click Advance and uncheck the "act as server". This will stop this services from listening.."

Gunslinger5577

XyZspineZyX
    why XP have to be THAT complicated ? ... NO mr ms we RARELY itend to use our OS as a server , actualy if i wanted to run a server i definitely wouldnt get windows for that !

Message Edited on 12/02/0309:58PM by delhan

XyZspineZyX
    Wheres that list ?

Gunslinger5577 wrote:
    - Here's an interesting comment from sygate tech supp:
    - "You might try taking the server rights from
    - svchost.exe. In the applications list you can
    - highlight this service and click Advance and uncheck
    - the "act as server". This will stop this services
    - from listening.."
    -
    -
    -
    - Gunslinger5577
    -
    -

:: Squid ::

I feel the need, the need for ...eyecandy [img]/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif[/img]

XyZspineZyX
    Thanks very much for posting this. I tried it, and went from 15 to 30 FPS to 35 to 100+ FPS. It was very helful.

Regards,

Greg

as far as i know svchost.exe acts as a hostprocess for certain services and is as such part of windows.

svhost.exe however could be part of a virus attack. read more here http://www.linkbyte.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000008.html

www.vaaf.com

XyZspineZyX
    Ok how do you disable it.....do you do it with Windows Task Manager?

Iceman .j
    Eielson AFB
    F-16's and A-10's

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+
    512 DDR 2700
    ATI 9200se 128mb
    21 inch dell monitor
    Logitech Z640 5.1
    X45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast