Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: [Mac] Installing on Intel Macs using official Ubisoft patch | Forums

  1. #21
    Hi s1ckmate.
    You're right . There should be a "Myst V End of Ages" alias on your desktop after installation, as well as the patcher icon. They both look the same, except the alias has an arrow on it.

    Did you see the Myst V sound decompressor dialog at the end and did it complete OK?

    Have you checked that the other folders and documents indicated in my opening post have been installed?

    Were you presented with the actual installer screens while the "Waiting for Installer to finish" message was displayed? The first one would have been a small one asking you what language to use for the wizard.

    Did you see a standard disk image appear on your desktop when the dvd was ejected? It would have been automatically ejected when you got the installation finished message.

    Look for the "mystvintel.log" document in your home/library/logs folder. If it's there open it... it should contain hundreds of lines beginning with "inflated". This indicates the files were copied to your Mac.

    I'm sorry but I have no experience with Snow Leopard at the moment. All I can do is compare my Leopard installation, which is faultless.

    Did your Mac come with Snow Leopard installed? If so, did you install Rosetta yourself?

    One other thing you could check. Open Disk Utility (in your Applications/Utilities folder),
    click on you hard drive name, look at the bottom of the screen and note the Format name.
    Mine is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Is yours the same?

    Why not try reinstalling and see if you get the same response. Note any variations between my description in my opening post and what you see.

    I'll be back online around the same time tomorrow to get your answers and see how you got on.

    -Bruce
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  2. #22
    Jasper, please do the same as I've indicated to s1ckmate.
    I still don't know what you're talking about when you say map... are you referring to the contents in a window?

    If so, does the window you're talking about contain copies of the manual and read me files, as well as the Myst V End of Ages application icon?

    Try reinstalling the game.
    -Bruce
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    when the install is finished, and the patch is closed, i don't get a alias link for myst v
    when i search my pc for files from myst v, i don't find any files, besides the script, patcher and patcher package...
    it doesn't install anything when it says installation succesful =s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #24
    Thanks Jasper.
    I think we've uncovered a new problem directly related to Snow Leopard.
    The strange part is the patcher completes its process without giving an error message... just no files installed (at least, NOT VISIBLE!)

    My suspicion is that the invisible ".dmg" file created by the patcher, that contains the DVD's files and substitutes for the DVD, is unable to be mounted on the desktop.

    Without the disk image mounted, we don't have access to the installation screens that are displayed when the installer runs... so nothing can be installed.

    I've studied the installer patcher's script closely and have a basic understanding of what it does.

    My plan is to try to copy the invisible "dmg" file to the desktop (which makes it visible) and then run it manually... it should be a mirror of the DVD, hopefully patched. Not sure how to do this yet, but I've got a couple of ideas.

    What I really need to know is... does the "dmg" file exist?

    I know you haven't found anything, but could you please have another look for the "mystvintel.log" file. If it exists, it's in your Library/Logs folder in your home folder.

    If you find it, open it and look for this text at the beginning:

    created: /tmp/mystvimg/mystveoa.dmg

    Please let me know how you get on.
    Thanks.
    -Bruce
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #25
    A special one for you Jasper!

    I know you've upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

    Would you consider creating a second partition on your Mac and reinstalling Leopard on that?

    You could then boot into Leopard and install the game there!
    Just a thought...
    -Bruce
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7
    Originally posted by bruman54:
    Did you see the Myst V sound decompressor dialog at the end and did it complete OK?

    Have you checked that the other folders and documents indicated in my opening post have been installed?

    Were you presented with the actual installer screens while the "Waiting for Installer to finish" message was displayed? The first one would have been a small one asking you what language to use for the wizard.

    Did you see a standard disk image appear on your desktop when the dvd was ejected? It would have been automatically ejected when you got the installation finished message.

    Look for the "mystvintel.log" document in your home/library/logs folder. If it's there open it... it should contain hundreds of lines beginning with "inflated". This indicates the files were copied to your Mac.

    I'm sorry but I have no experience with Snow Leopard at the moment. All I can do is compare my Leopard installation, which is faultless.

    Did your Mac come with Snow Leopard installed? If so, did you install Rosetta yourself?

    One other thing you could check. Open Disk Utility (in your Applications/Utilities folder),
    click on you hard drive name, look at the bottom of the screen and note the Format name.
    Mine is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Is yours the same?
    No other dialogs, installation screens or windows opened up. The only window was the installer patcher screen.

    No disk image appeared on the desktop.
    The DVD icon changes to a folder with the no access symbol on it once the patcher begins to run.

    The logfile has the inflated messages.

    Yes, this mac came with Snow Leopard installed. I installed Rosetta myself from the installation DVD, and my Drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended.


    Originally posted by bruman54:
    I know you haven't found anything, but could you please have another look for the "mystvintel.log" file. If it exists, it's in your Library/Logs folder in your home folder.

    If you find it, open it and look for this text at the beginning:

    created: /tmp/mystvimg/mystveoa.dmg
    That line did appear in the log.


    I just tried running the patcher again, and came across the following error at the end of the copy (once the disk is meant to be ejected I'm assuming):
    detachTempimageFile: synchronous unmount /dev/disk2s1 returned 49153
    lsof: status error on /Volumes/Myst: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on V: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on EOA: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on 1: No such file or directory
    lsof 4.82
    latest revision: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/
    latest FAQ: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/FAQ
    latest man page: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub...s/unix/lsof/lsof_man
    usage: [-?abhlnNoOPRtUvV] [+|-c c] [+|-d s] [+D D] [+|-f[cgG]]
    [-F [f]] [-g [s]] [-i [i]] [+|-L [l]] [+|-M] [-o [o]] [-p s]
    [+|-r [t]] [-s [p:s]] [-S [t]] [-T [t]] [-u s] [+|-w] [-x [fl]] [--] [names]
    Use the ``-h'' option to get more help information.
    retrying unmount (#1)...
    detachTempImageFile: synchronous retry (#1) unmount /Volumes/Myst V EOA 1 (/dev/disk2s1) returned 49153
    lsof: status error on /Volumes/Myst: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on V: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on EOA: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on 1: No such file or directory
    lsof 4.82
    latest revision: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/
    latest FAQ: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/FAQ
    latest man page: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub...s/unix/lsof/lsof_man
    usage: [-?abhlnNoOPRtUvV] [+|-c c] [+|-d s] [+D D] [+|-f[cgG]]
    [-F [f]] [-g [s]] [-i [i]] [+|-L [l]] [+|-M] [-o [o]] [-p s]
    [+|-r [t]] [-s [p:s]] [-S [t]] [-T [t]] [-u s] [+|-w] [-x [fl]] [--] [names]
    Use the ``-h'' option to get more help information.
    retrying unmount (#2)...
    detachTempImageFile: synchronous retry (#1) unmount /Volumes/Myst V EOA 1 (/dev/disk2s1) returned 49153
    lsof: status error on /Volumes/Myst: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on V: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on EOA: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on 1: No such file or directory
    lsof 4.82
    latest revision: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/
    latest FAQ: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/FAQ
    latest man page: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub...s/unix/lsof/lsof_man
    usage: [-?abhlnNoOPRtUvV] [+|-c c] [+|-d s] [+D D] [+|-f[cgG]]
    [-F [f]] [-g [s]] [-i [i]] [+|-L [l]] [+|-M] [-o [o]] [-p s]
    [+|-r [t]] [-s [p:s]] [-S [t]] [-T [t]] [-u s] [+|-w] [-x [fl]] [--] [names]
    Use the ``-h'' option to get more help information.
    retrying unmount (#3)...
    detachTempImageFile: synchronous retry (#1) unmount /Volumes/Myst V EOA 1 (/dev/disk2s1) returned 49153
    lsof: status error on /Volumes/Myst: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on V: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on EOA: No such file or directory
    lsof: status error on 1: No such file or directory
    lsof 4.82
    latest revision: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/
    latest FAQ: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/FAQ
    latest man page: ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub...s/unix/lsof/lsof_man
    usage: [-?abhlnNoOPRtUvV] [+|-c c] [+|-d s] [+D D] [+|-f[cgG]]
    [-F [f]] [-g [s]] [-i [i]] [+|-L [l]] [+|-M] [-o [o]] [-p s]
    [+|-r [t]] [-s [p:s]] [-S [t]] [-T [t]] [-u s] [+|-w] [-x [fl]] [--] [names]
    Use the ``-h'' option to get more help information.
    hdiutil: create failed - Resource busy
    The spaces in the unmount parameters weren't properly escaped for the volume?
    I find it strange that this error comes up, as I didn't change anything related to the patcher.

    And even stranger, those are the only messages that appeared in the log. I checked before running the patcher to see that the temporary dmg did not exist (it didn't). The patcher successfully created the dmg and copied the files across (I kept track of it while the copying was taking place).

    This appeared in the log just as an applescript error message came up saying that the script exited with a non-zero status.


    I'm going to try installing it on another one of my macs (also Snow Leoped) in a day or two and see whether I am getting the same message.
    I don't want this to throw you off track if it's not related to the problem.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #27
    Thanks s1ckmate. Your post is a big help!
    You've confirmed that the problem is indeed the inability to mount the "dmg" file...why,I don't know, but it's a starting point.

    I'm a little confused here... are you saying that your second installation attempt produced the "mystvintel.log" with only the error message you've posted (no "created" line or "inflated" messages like in the original attempt) and that this error didn't show up the first time?

    The line unmount /Volumes/Myst V EOA 1 suggests a copy, indicating "/Volumes/Myst V EOA" is still present in the same location ("Myst V EOA" is the name of the disk image created inside the mystveoa.dmg file). The addition of 1 to the end of the title would explain why the name of the volume failed.

    How did you check for the existence of the invisible dmg file?... it won't show up under normal searches.

    How did you track the successful creation of the dmg file and the copying of the files?... or were you just relying on the copying installer message? Are you referring to the second attempt to install?... doesn't make sense if you didn't get the inflated messages in the log.

    There's a free utility called TinkerTool which allows you to see invisible files... if you haven't already got something similar to view these files, I recommend you install it. A google search will find it.

    Do you have any Leopard installation discs available?

    I hope you can keep working through this with me as you're providing complete info and seem to know what you're doing.

    I'll check back in a couple of days.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    i'd like to add something on this...
    when it says installation finished, it shows a dmg volume with all the files in it, but as soon as i click quit, it dissappears
    when i don't click and copy the files
    i cannot run the prog.
    its not patched
    nice thinking of you to suggest making a partition with leopard and installing it there
    i'd never thought of that one =p
    lemme try if i have time left..
    now school has started again -_-
    all the work is coming back lol
    anyway
    i'll post in a few days when i tried it =D
    bye

    -me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7
    Originally posted by bruman54:
    Thanks s1ckmate. Your post is a big help!
    You've confirmed that the problem is indeed the inability to mount the "dmg" file...why,I don't know, but it's a starting point.

    I'm a little confused here... are you saying that your second installation attempt produced the "mystvintel.log" with only the error message you've posted (no "created" line or "inflated" messages like in the original attempt) and that this error didn't show up the first time?

    The line unmount /Volumes/Myst V EOA 1 suggests a copy, indicating "/Volumes/Myst V EOA" is still present in the same location ("Myst V EOA" is the name of the disk image created inside the mystveoa.dmg file). The addition of 1 to the end of the title would explain why the name of the volume failed.

    How did you check for the existence of the invisible dmg file?... it won't show up under normal searches.

    How did you track the successful creation of the dmg file and the copying of the files?... or were you just relying on the copying installer message? Are you referring to the second attempt to install?... doesn't make sense if you didn't get the inflated messages in the log.

    There's a free utility called TinkerTool which allows you to see invisible files... if you haven't already got something similar to view these files, I recommend you install it. A google search will find it.

    Do you have any Leopard installation discs available?

    I hope you can keep working through this with me as you're providing complete info and seem to know what you're doing.

    I'll check back in a couple of days.
    Yes, it was the second attempt where no other messages appeared in the log.
    Once the patcher began to run, there was a mounted image in /Volumes with the name "Myst V EOA 1". At first I was not sure whether this was the invisible dmg that you were talking about, but watching it in the Finder it periodically added the files from the DVD as the Finder refreshed itself, and it's available space decreased. As the available space reached 0 (assumingly when the copy completed), the error appeared.
    I did all of this on the second attempt.
    As a note, the DVD has the name Myst V EOA, so because that name is already taken in the Volumes folder, the image has 1 appended to it.

    I have the Leopard installation disks available.

    I'm happy to help as much as I can.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #30
    Thanks for the input from both of you.
    I've got a theory which I prepared earlier and I'll post it in a moment, but first I'd like to address some of your new info.

    It appears that the "Myst V EOA 1" disk image is a dud, which I expected, for reasons outlined in my theory. You need to eject it (also delete any ".dmg" file you may find that's associated with it). I wasn't really expecting to see that one appear on the desktop, but there you go.

    Both the DVD and the disk image created by the patcher share the same name... Myst V EOA.
    That's why they don't appear on the desktop together, and why you shouldn't see any disk image while the DVD is inserted and the patcher is running... the intention is for the disk image to replace the DVD on the desktop, after it's ejected.

    You need to get the free "TinkerTool" utility...the latest version is 3.96 and it's compatible with Snow Leopard. It's a small program that allows you to turn features on and off on your Mac. It's been around for years and it's safe. The feature you want is in the Finder section... show hidden and system files. I have a feeling we're going to need to look at some invisible files!

    Despite the new info, I believe my theory remains relevant and is worth investigating... I haven't made any changes so if you find any conflicting statements I apologize.

    I have a theory on what's happened .

    First time through:

    The patcher creates a disk image file named "mystveoa.dmg", assigning it a volume name of "Myst V EOA" for when it mounts, to substitute for the DVD.
    It also creates two folders ("mystvimg" & "mystv") in the invisible "tmp" folder... one to contain the disk image, the other to modify the data.
    The DVD's files are copied, modified and then copied again to the disk image.
    The patcher then tells the finder to eject the DVD and mounts the disk image in its place.
    At this point, the Snow Leopard Finder fails to recognize the disk image and it fails to appear on the desktop.
    However, the patcher, as the creator, is aware of its presence and launches the installer contained within the image... this is when you see the "Waiting for installer to finish" message.
    Because the disk image isn't visible on the desktop, the installer fails to open or just quits without warning.
    The patcher is unaware of what the installer is doing and just waits for it to quit, to signal the end of the installation process... the only variation it looks for is if the user quits the installation.
    It then removes the contents of the two folders it created, which includes the "mystveoa.dmg" file, and tells the finder to eject the disk image... which the finder ignores because it isn't aware of its existence!
    The "installation finished..." message is displayed, followed by a general clean up... there's nothing to specify what's happening (probably deleting the folders it created I guess), then it quits.

    This theory supports the fact that the patcher performed correctly, as indicated by no errors.
    It also explains why no installation took place.
    Most importantly, it also suggests that the disk image is still attached to the computer, just not recognized by the Snow Leopard Finder.

    This last statement is supported by the events that occur when you run the patcher a second time.

    The DVD's icon changing to a folder with "No Access" when the patcher runs suggests that the patcher sees two volumes in the same location with the same name... Myst V EOA. One is the DVD and the other is the disk image it created the first time.

    Normally, where two items of the same type with the same name attempt to exist in the same location, the system gives you a warning asking if you want to replace the older item. In this case the DVD can't be altered so you get the no access symbol. However, the disk image was created as a read/write disk and can be changed... think of it like a DVD-RW disc. So the system changes the name by adding a "1" to the title. When the system tries to unmount the disk image it fails because it was created with a different name (Myst V EOA), and the patcher returns an error!

    What does this mean for us?

    We have a situation similar to attaching an external drive to your Mac and the finder not recognizing it!
    The Mac provides an application to deal with this problem... Disk Utility.
    I believe the disk image is still on your computer. We need to use Disk Utility to try and find it and mount it on the desktop.
    If we can mount it then we can use it to install the game manually... just like using the DVD.

    Unfortunately I can't test this theory myself because I don't have Snow Leopard or these problems, so I need to rely on your help.

    Open Disk Utility and look for any faded disk image icons in the left hand panel... you're looking for something named "Myst V EOA". You may need to highlight your hard drive to see if anything comes up there (that's the actual drive, not the Macintosh HD volume).
    If it's there, make sure you eject your DVD first, then select it and choose "Mount". It should appear on the desktop.


    Please let me know how you get on. If I'm wrong, that's my bad luck. But I do have another method ready to go if needed. It's just that this would be the simplest solution if it's right.
    Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •