Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Riven Rules | Forums

Thanks, wstrohm, nanoukmetal, Dave_McB, for being so responsive. I've decided to replay the game, tho I'm quite sure I threw the steam pressure switch next to the Gate room.
    I found Heimdall's post for the 1.02 patch, but it's for Windows, and I'm on a Mac G5 which I'm using for Riven and, I hope, for the rest of the Myst series (I've played each of them once before) as well as some new games that I can find that are similar to Myst--would love some advice on that possibility! My main computer is a MacBook Pro for work and play.
    I couldn't find a 1.01 patch that was accessible, and didn't try to activate the 1.02 Windows patch. I'm hoping that they were incorporated into the single Riven disc.
    BUT, the real mystery is, how can the glass "cover" under the hatch be shattered when I haven't been able to lower the telescope? I will try to find some isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the disc, but I don't see how that can clear up the mystery of the already shattered glass.That is truly puzzling.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

P.S., nanouk--I checked out "Gray Matter", liked the premise, but it's for Windows. After 23 years as a MacAddict, am I going to have to buy a PC? I'm not sure my gray matter is up to it--but I suspect that the most interesting games may be available only on Windows.

ladygray14,

I believe that the last scene before the movie starts is of the cracked/shattered glass, and the movie's beginning is that of the shards falling into the rift. So I still think your problem is that the movie is simply not starting.
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

Back to Riven.

Did you tell us what version of QuickTime you are using ?

If you are not afraid of spoilers check this YouTube video on how to get the glass broken and to see the movie...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...slF4&feature=related

Edit:

I have replayed the ending and noticed that you cannot see a close up of the lens after it is broken. The white stuff around the blue lens is somekind of corrosion. See image before the lens is broken at the next link

http://i56.tinypic.com/29yjtrl.jpg

N and W, I am so impressed with your patience and knowledge.
    The image (before the lens is broken)
    is what I have been stuck at. I played N's YouTube link just as far as the telescope's beginning descent and then quit it, as I'm stubborn enough to want to get to the ending by myself. So I'm about 1/3rd into a replay (and enjoying it :-) ). The Mac G5 QuickTime is set at v6.0.3--should I upgrade it?

Thanks so much for hanging in there with me!

In my case, I am using the QT version 6.3 that came with my Riven dvd (10th anniversary pack).
    (cursor wise, it is a lot smoother than with my previous 6.5.2 version)

Btw, I just tested replaying only the rotating rooms near the telescope to switch the steam valve on & off without replaying everything and it did work. (I had all my codes). But you really need to know about how to rotate that building from both sides and know when its time to cross over....from the inside.

ladygray14,

v 6.0.3 of Quicktime is adequate to play Riven, and for the Mac, it is the latest version of QuickTime that will run under the Classic Mac OS. That should not be a problem; it's the version I use on my G5.

Did you try cleaning the bottom of the disc?

westrohm--I've given the disc a (soft) rubdown; now back to my replay. The disc looks good.
    Thanks--
    P.S. I would love to know some Mac games you and nanoukmetal might recommend altho I'm sure none can measure up to Riven.

Joanie

Myst III, IV, and V are all good IMHO. But if your G5 is a dual-CPU type, to play Myst III: Exile you would have to install the Apple CHUD program and use the Preference Pane included therein to shut off one of your two CPUs. If you don't do that, sound will hiccup every second or so. (No problems with Myst IV or V.)

'Alida' is a good game, although I found the puzzles very hard, and the original Mac version DVD from Australia worked the best... there seemed to be bugs in the Gamestop version.

'Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time' is also a very engaging game (runs only under Classic).

'Starship Titanic' from Douglas Addams is also very funny and full of his humor; also runs only under Classic.

Unlike wstrohm I am a 100% pc player.

The only adventure games I have played that I know are available for macs are Mysterious Island and Return to Mysterious Island 2.(did not like the interface in # 2)

Some of my favorite pc games are...

Syberia 1&2

The Longuest Journey (but had one bug and had great problems finding the patch for missing files)

The hardest game I ever played was SCHIZM.

The Egyptian Prophecy

The weirdest was Black Mirror

A very good one: Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon.

The latest was Secret Files: Tunguska

Most played is still Uru: all versions, (including beta testing for the drizzle version)

And Mysterious Journey 2, also quite complex.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast