Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Midway | Forums

Can't find my answer. About that time. Playing TMO1.7RSRD. Can you find the actual US TF? Is so, can you watch the actual battle or not? If it exist, someone have the coords..

Here's a nice site on the BOM. I didn't know that the Japs rescued three fliers, but after torturing them for info, murdered all three.
    And the site gets it right, it was a sub that sunk the damaged Hiryu, not planes.

http://www.navy.mil/midway/midway.html
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Can't find my answer. About that time. Playing TMO1.7RSRD. Can you find the actual US TF? Is so, can you watch the actual battle or not? If it exist, someone have the coords..

Here's a nice site on the BOM. I didn't know that the Japs rescued three fliers, but after torturing them for info, murdered all three.
    And the site gets it right, it was a sub that sunk the damaged Hiryu, not planes.

http://www.navy.mil/midway/midway.html

The planes left it a wreck after scoring hits with bombs, sub finished it off.

Was very fortunate a few years back when was on a tour at National Museum of Naval Aviation here in Pensacola that tour guide was one of the actual SBD dive bomber pilots from Enterprise, was in the battlewish i could remember his name, he was a nice old guy.Great hearing a tale from someone who actually lived it.

Yeah the sub I forget the name but it was either one of the Nautilis or the Narwhal but Hiryu was nothing more than buring hulk the only possiable use would have been to try to tow it back to Japan and use the hull to make another ship again and that would not have be easy the Japs would have scuttled her if our sub hadent done it first.That was a very good battle for the US we only lost a few hundred men and one carrier though she did her part to first and they lost several carries as well as several thousand vital crewman and mechanics.You will always lose people in battle as long as you make it hurt worse for the bad guy you will win. Hell in most Soviet vs. German battles the Germans lost less men but they could not replace thier loses easily like the Soviets could crushing the bad guys abiltiy to fight is how you win. Something that we have sort had a hard time with in the past 50 years or so if you ask me.
    Buddy Holly well guess that makes you the Grand Naval Expert hands down!!!!!

Well I used save points and on 4 tries couldn't find the US fleet. I was the exact cords, so I guess the fleet is somewhere else or not programmed into RSRD. I also swore at one time Midway had an airstrip in stock...maybe taken out with RSRD, could someone check TMO or stock alone.

The Battle of Midway is modeled in the stock game and all the MODs along with Coral Sea, Philippine Sea(Marianas Turkey Shoot), Philippines(Leyte Gulf) and a couple of others. If you are in the right place at the right time you can participate. I have been in the middle of the Midway battle several times in different careers. The stock Battle is fairly well done, but TMO and RSRDC have more accurate representations.

If you open C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Campaigns\Campaign\BattleOfMidway.mis with the Mission Editor you will see how the battle is scripted. That way you can be in position to either take on Nagumo’s carriers, Kondo’s invasion fleet or Yamamoto’s surface fleet.

Dave

"Dog down the hatches and take her deep boys!"
    [url=http://forums.ubi.com/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bubblehead1980:
    The planes left it a wreck after scoring hits with bombs, sub finished it off.

Was very fortunate a few years back when was on a tour at National Museum of Naval Aviation here in Pensacola that tour guide was one of the actual SBD dive bomber pilots from Enterprise, was in the battlewish i could remember his name, he was a nice old guy.Great hearing a tale from someone who actually lived it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at the air show looing at a P51. A younger man walked up with his grandfather that flew one in the war. I was glad that the man that owned the plane got a stair ladder and let the old pilot sit in the plane. He talked for awhile telling stories. Then he sat there for a minute and you could see a tear streaming down his face. I love hearing stories from those fella's....not many left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dgrayson:
    The Battle of Midway is modeled in the stock game and all the MODs along with Coral Sea, Philippine Sea(Marianas Turkey Shoot), Philippines(Leyte Gulf) and a couple of others. If you are in the right place at the right time you can participate. I have been in the middle of the Midway battle several times in different careers. The stock Battle is fairly well done, but TMO and RSRDC have more accurate representations.

If you open C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Campaigns\Campaign\BattleOfMidway.mis with the Mission Editor you will see how the battle is scripted. That way you can be in position to either take on Nagumo’s carriers, Kondo’s invasion fleet or Yamamoto’s surface fleet.

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks..I've caught the TF a few times, but can you catch or watch any of the air attacks on ships, like you can watch in single missions. I would love to watch an actual air attack on ships in career mode. Is it even possible to watch the japs attack the Yorktown or vise versa?

I'll look at the ME. I guess sitting around the actual real cords are gonna do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MWolfe1963:

but can you catch or watch any of the air attacks on ships, like you can watch in single missions. I would love to watch an actual air attack on ships in career mode. Is it even possible to watch the japs attack the Yorktown or vise versa?
    . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I answered your questions it would spoil the fun of discovery. So I encourage you to find out for yourself.

Dave

"Dog down the hatches and take her deep boys!"
    [url=http://forums.ubi.com/

Not really worth its own thread, so I'll just tag this on here.

I was playing last night and got a radio message from the Archerfish, ending her patrol after sinking a Hayataka class carrier. Now I thought I'd known all the classes of Japanese carrier, so this confused me and got me curious. So I looked it up today. That's the long version of how I came across this webpage relating to the Battle of Midway:

Report on interegation of Japanese survivor

I thought it made an interesting read. I found it odd that Janes' was used as an intelligence source, but thinking about it, it makes sense.

A little URL manipulation got me to this document as well: Summary of battle Its interesting to see what we thought at the time, versus what we believe or know happened now. Like number 23, where Midway's airstrikes thought they hit a carrier. And various reported hits on battleships and cruisers, and the confusion between the two.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    'round here, she's always on my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast