Thread: If I could upgrade the FC2 Editor | Forums

spinetooth's Avatar Member
    it might be possible for those who own kinect, after E3's demonstration of scanning in objects for certain kinect games, although it doesn't sound likely they'll do that. I don't even have a kinect, but i've got a point XD

A small stick in the map editor would do wonders for anyone looking to put detail in their maps.

color wheel, tunnel digger, varies water levels, more destructable items, and the ability for us to walk up stairs that aren't shallow.

Considering its there servers, i think ten maps is actually quite generous.

Regarding what Lambchop just stated about extra items in a map that others do not have, he is right on the money. They can play the map, but when they try to open it in the editor, they would get a 404 type message stating that to edit that particular map, they must first purchase and download (name of map pack containing featured objects)

As for the Editor itself, the FC2 Editor really had all of the needed components in place but Ubi never supported it.

Here are a few things I think it needs and could feasably have.

***A much, much wider range of options. For am MP map editor, for all of the objects it had it was extremely limited. It should allow for tons of custom game types, Halo allows this. ITs not that hard to imagine it in an FC editor.

***It should have a full mission editor either included at the start, or as a 800MP release down the road. After seeing INFAMOUS 2, with its full mission creator, I see no reason that it cannot be in FC3 editor. we should be able to create SP and CO-OP missions that would work sort of like R6's Terrorist hunt, or like Halo and Gears Onslaught modes. in fact, if a Mission Editor is included you could have it include options for what type of single player experience you want to create with a few options in it.

***UBISOFT needs to from this very point, make a concerted effort to plan and implement support for the Editor. This could be done a couple of ways. They could create DLC mission packs to expand the single player game, and those packs could include new objects for the editor.
    Or, they could just create theme packs that contain a number of objects or come with new weapons or even Ubi sanctioned game types.

***The Editor could contain a -sticker application tool- this way, we could take existing objects and swap out whatever texture is on it. Make it look like concrete or metal or dilapitated wood, or tin, just as examples. That single function on its own would add a wealth of options to mapping in the editor.

***UBI could create say (5) textures for each object, when you open the Sticker Application Tool, you place the cursor over the selected object, and a little window could pop up with swatches containing each availible texture. roll the cursor over the swatch to preview it on the object.

I think UBISOFT could even make use of the wide range of artistic paople within the community who create game mods to work on the different stickers/Textures.

Now this next part is just a personal statement to UBISOFT. I speak for myself, but am guessing that many of you would agree with me here.

UBISOFT/FC3 Producers.

The FC2 team, made statements early on that they did not want to put to much into the editor, like Objects and custom game types as an example, because as they put it, it would be to hard for us to understand.
    What a terrible thing to say to all of the people who build maps with this Editor. We created over 200,000 maps with it. a majority of them had zero to do with the African or even the Island setting

We are not fools or Idiots. We are smart, creative people.

If you are going to bestow upon us our dream creation tool, then I have a couple of things for you to think about.

1. You should approach the Editor as if you were creating LITTLE BIG PLANET, but for Shooters. That game has endless options and capabilities. The 2nd one actually allowed you to create your own games. And that is geared towards a younger audience. The things created by users of that game far exceed the complexity of nearly anything created with your editor.

2. Look at the other games that allow user creation like LBP and Infamous 2 and Mod Nation and FORZA. Each of these games brings something different to the table. But, all of these different things could be incorporated into your Editor.

3. Don't think small. Think of the editor as a bonus feature to FC3 but a FULL FEATURED one.

4. Do not limit it to the Island setting. Sure the SP game is set on one, but the Editor, could and should be looked at differently. Give us things over time that are -THEMED- towards different genres. In other words, look beyond the release of the main game and think to yourself, what would "I" think would be a cool subject for a map?

5. I guarantee that we would all pay for add ons. For as long as you are willing to put time into making them.

6. Make sure that you, the developers actually ENJOY playing the MP before you release it. we like realism, but not if it takes away from fast paced fun. This game should have MP that is somewhere in between Halo and Rainbow 6.
    Sorta arcadey, but with tactical capabilities.

7. If there is not enough time to make this entire dream editor a reality before release, then consider working on an -ADVANCED- version of it, that interested parties could DL later on down the road that would expand on the Editors functions.

We would pay for that also.

Finally,
    8. Keep in mind, that even if you only stick with the Tropical Island theme, most Islands have urban areas. Also those Urban areas are not always -run down- look at Hawaii and Puerto Rico or Jamaica. 3 different islands with 3 different standards of urbanization.

Thats it. Please take this stuff to heart.
    I look forward to losing countless hours with this thing for as long as you support it and beyond.

Originally posted by PandaThing:
    Considering its there servers, i think ten maps is actually quite generous.
    Yes it is, but If I could buy more slots, I would. I'd probably buy like 50.

On PS3 it was as simple as making a second (or in my case; third) account and uploading to those. A PS3 can have 16 active accounts on it for no charge. On 360, you have to pay for Xbox Live gold for each of them. That's just not fair.

And yes, I'd pay for extra slots on PS3 as well. It's better to have all my maps under one name than have three or more and people not look them up.

Zee, I think the LBP-ing FC3 might be a bit much, but I understand what you're saying. FC2's Editor was oozing with potential that was never realized.

I'm hoping Ubi understands that now and follows through.

@Legacyzero; My main point of citing LBP, is primarily to reenforce the fact that we are not simple minded gamers. When a game like LBP can be geared towards a younger audience yet maintain such complexity, that all of the FC Editor arguments just seem to fall flat.

But, LBP also got a number of things right with how it controls and how it impliments its various tools and pieces. It should be seriously looked at for ideas.

Originally posted by zeeEVIL1:
    @Legacyzero; My main point of citing LBP, is primarily to reenforce the fact that we are not simple minded gamers. When a game like LBP can be geared towards a younger audience yet maintain such complexity, that all of the FC Editor arguments just seem to fall flat.

But, LBP also got a number of things right with how it controls and how it impliments its various tools and pieces. It should be seriously looked at for ideas.
    I just started playing LBP a few days ago. Ur right, it definitely is a fantastic experience. I've never had so much fun being chased by sharks LOL. Laughed till I cried.

I stated this on another thread here, but it bears repeating.

I would also really like to see the ability to join objects and then save them as one custom object for use in other maps.

I know many of you agree.

How many times have you wanted to open a fresh blank map, just to focus on building one object or building without all the other distractions of the map in your way?

Surely someone out there knows what I mean.

Read my post 3 above. I feel the same way and said so in that post.