Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Authenticity and the RAF | Forums

Ok this is the type of game I have been looking forward to for a long time, so I was very pleased on my initial scouting of the site but suddenly something seems amiss. The site is covered with american symbols and flags. What alothe hell?

Blazing Angles claims to have you fight in all the numerous air battles around the globe such as possibly the greatest air battle of all time, The Battle of Britain.

Having the american air force fighting in the battle of britain is not only completley historically inaccurate, but also more than a little offensive to me as a British Citizen.

During Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain, the united states was still sitting around with its thumb up its *** not willing to fight, while british citizens were being killed by german bombs. Now I'm not holding a grudge here, but I'm getting more than a little sick of the entertainment industry displaying the american military claming british victories. (see U571)

If this game is indeed portraying the american airforce as the primary contenders heroes of the european front, this game is insulting to all those RAF pilots who lost their lives in defense of Great Britain.

These men, and these men alone weathered the Nazi storm outnumbered and outguned, and eventually won their hard earned victory.

Show them the respect they deserve.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Dude its a fkn videogame annd the american planes are the coolest and it fits better in the storyline, i would agree with you if this game where an encyclopedia. But this is only fun. And personally tough i am from europe not usa i like having the story about americans mutch further than having it about british pilots,

Okay, are you actually playing the game, or complaining in advance? From what I have seen of the demo, there is an American volunteer, as there were. The planes that I have been flying had British markings.
    As for the site, I am sorry that all the marketers in the world want my American Dollar before they get to yours, that is not my problem. I think of the American Flag the way most Brits think of the Queen. It ain't about the President, it's about that Flag.
    World War II was the single greatest event in Human history, it was inevitable. All of history led to that point. and everyhting since has come out of it. It was a focal point of history. I am sorry you could not win it without us, but you couldn't. Incredible sacrafices and horrible tradgedies spread over the world, and individual heroism wasn't limited by nationality.
    But there is a reason so much of the story is told with an American Tale, simply put, my father and his generation, saved the world.

In the Battle of Britain, there were something like 7 American volunteers that fought in the air (of course not the Blazing Angels - they were part of a Squadron named Eagle Wing - or something like that).

RM - nobody denies that America played its part, what gets Wyzrd's back up (and many other peoples for that matter - including mine at times), is the way that the likes of the British sacrifice is pushed to one side and even seemingly and insultingly forgotton. Its alot easier to go out and do your bit in saving the world when your Country and home isn't being bombed flat every night.

Yeah, we wouldn't have won without America, but it works both ways, because you wouldn't have won without us either. As far as I'm concerned, every soldier that fought and died to preserve our way of life in that war is a hero. But what the British had that was special during that time, was that its people were heroic themselves, down to every last civilian.

Bombed constantly, but never budged. We were too stubborn to ever let the Germans march into our Country. If they had got here, we would have thrown everything at them - right down to slamming pitch forks into them. They would have had to kill every last British citizen to take this Country. But thanks to the men and women of the RAF, not one German acting as an invader set foot on British soil.

And we did our bit to help you with the Japanese too. I know that only too well because a member of my family died in a Japanese POW camp. I'm sure alot of Americans wouldn't be too happy if the whole thing was reversed and it was their efforts that were just pushed to one side in favour of another Country trying to claim all the glory.

And I know this is stupid to go so deep into on a game site, but its just that most Americans are completely ignorant when it comes to this matter. I'm getting married to an American girl and the people there in general are great. But one thing that becomes apparent quickly is the total ignorance to anything outside your borders. This whole "harmless Hollywood storytelling" thing turns into a problem, because alot of kids there grow up actually believing the garbage and with the world becoming closer than ever through technology, they get to use it, open their mouth - and suddenly you have alot of offended people.

Please, this is a game you guys. Historical accuracy is one thing, but a fighter game focuses on the fighter aspect. The feel of the plane in the air, the closeness of combat, the aerial stunts that lead you to getting behind a guy so you can fire you .50 Caliber machineguns and blow them out of the sky. Ah saying that just turns me on, but thats besides the point :P.

Everyone did their part in WWII, and correction, there were more then 244 American Pilots that served in Eagle Squadron, of the thousands that volunteered for overseas action in Britain. Of the 244, 16 british were the squadron and flight commanders. So, if anything, there wasn't just "7". Not only are all of you guys ignorant about history, but the fact that none of you have thoroughly researched your claim disgusts me.

To EnglishRedneck, it is not "something like that". That is fact, this is history, and unless you know the exact amount of numbers, what people did, and what happened, don't spout nonsense like that. The same goes for every other person who "takes offense" to this. If anything, the americans, the british, the french, the chinese, the australian, etc..., all did their part for this war. None of them deserve any less credit then anyone else. But if you go around spouting inaccurate historic facts like that, you not only bitterly mock other nations, but you disgrace your own by pretending to be noticed for something you were never part of. Britain helped win the war, so did the Americans, and so did every other ally nation. Thats what happened.

This is a game, this game didn't say it was going for historic accuracy, it was made to give you the experience fighter pilots like those in WWII had to go through, and how they fought. For that, I think this game really did that, even with all the problems it has in its technical aspects.

Originally posted by EnglishRedneck:
    what gets Wyzrd's back up (and many other peoples for that matter - including mine at times), is the way that the likes of the British sacrifice is pushed to one side and even seemingly and insultingly forgotton. Its alot easier to go out and do your bit in saving the world when your Country and home isn'tbeing bombed flat every night.
    Let's be clear, I am not only a student of, but a product of that war. Father, PT Boat Machinists Mate, Mother, Sydney girl, doing her part at the USO. And of course, good and dedicated men and women around the world, sacrificed everything in an effort that we will never truly comphrehend.

Yeah, we wouldn't have won without America, but it works both ways, because you wouldn't have won without us either.
    Of course, my response was stimulated by Wyzrd1's "not willing to fight" comment. Of course we weren't, we hadn't been attacked, and back in those days, we usually waited to be attacked before going to war. It just wasn't our fight yet.

As far as I'm concerned, every soldier that fought and died to preserve our way of life in that war is a hero. But what the British had that was special during that time, was that its people were heroic themselves, down to every last civilian.
    And the Amereican population picked its side listening to Edward Murrow and other reporters from London. It was one of those great moments when Right proves not only stronger, but quite a bit smarter than evil.

And we did our bit to help you with the Japanese too. I know that only too well because a member of my family died in a Japanese POW camp.
    Whenever anyone tries to say it was war time and atrocities happen, I disagree. Mistakes happen, individual instances of barbarism happen, but the nature of the Axis power's atrocities required an organized state, and a compliant population.

I'm sure alot of Americans wouldn't be too happy if the whole thing was reversed and it was their efforts that were just pushed to one side in favour of another Country trying to claim all the glory.
    This is where your argument falls apart. The US is not trying to claim anything, you know that. It is some corporate shill, spewing something he was told, based on no research. American boys, wives, teenagers, men, won't buy, rent, watch, play, it without an American precense. "Those English accents sound a little fruity" Uh, James Bond did pretty well here. So did Fawlty Towers. We are being sold a bill of goods by ignorant people, and it is not America's fault.

And I know this is stupid to go so deep into on a game site, but its just that most Americans are completely ignorant when it comes to this matter. I'm getting married to an American girl and the people there in general are great. But one thing that becomes apparent quickly is the total ignorance to anything outside your borders.
    That is a gross over simplification, but it is a problem. Part of greater problem being, just plain total ignorance. Somewhere along the line history became about dates in a timeline, and not about loyalty and love and betrayal and sabotage. Too many ignore history, and of course are bound to relive it. A co-worker of mine, in his mid fourties, went to the film Pearl Harbor. I asked him how it was. Oh, pretty good, but they kind of changed around history. Really I said, How? they had the US fighting Japan AND Germany at the same time. Uh, and... I said. He had reached his middle age and had no real concept of what that war was meant.
    Enough of this, I am just tired of hearing the US denigrated, because admen think the efforts of men who had seen their last sunrise are out weighed by a clever twist that they think will sell more product. And don't get me started about U-571, what a painful film. One enigma was gotten off a sub as it was being scuttled. The Body Guard of Lies tells the story.

I'll go hide now

I get it, you got to hit edit, not reply

Please delete

Talk about ignorance, I have no idea how I quadruple posted

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast