Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [360] Neverhood by neokinesis | Forums

Far Cry Classic Launch Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Walkthrough Trailer [US]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - The year is 2007, it is the future

Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Bundle Trailer [UK]

nice layout! i'll look in to youre maps next time i play.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Originally posted by neokinesis:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drskotal:
    Yey! I am sure that the PS3 community will find it very exciting and a great map to play on.
    Sorry it is taking so long, one of those little changes I made, actually made a side stronger. Nothing major, games where players know what to do are resulting 90-100 scores compared to the 98-100 scores it was producing before. It is marginal but but the thing I appreciated about the map was its fairness so I need to do a bit more tweaking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what makes maps great, not just good. Tweaking and adjusting things that many mappers would not even notice, think about or care to adjust after getting the main structure right. Its the extra fine attetion to detail, visually, structurally and gameplay-wise that set apart the 5 star maps from the rest of the pack. I like how you pick and pick at the work you do and suport it until its juuust right.

drskotal looks like the chick from charmed. anyways great map.

Far Cry 3 Elite Member neokinesis's Avatar
    Originally posted by Agent00Kevin:
    This is what makes maps great, not just good. Tweaking and adjusting things that many mappers would not even notice, think about or care to adjust after getting the main structure right. Its the extra fine attetion to detail, visually, structurally and gameplay-wise that set apart the 5 star maps from the rest of the pack. I like how you pick and pick at the work you do and suport it until its juuust right.
    Thank you for noticing. I have mentioned before a feeling of accomplishment from creating something complete. Although I release a map nearly every month, sometimes more then one, I am not rushing to complete any one map. Because I force myself to slow down it allows me to use trends that work. I have found the Key to my map making is having a couple maps all going at the same time. It helps me relieve the stress of thinking I have to finish the map now. Also, since there are a number of maps at different levels of completion, I am not over doing an area in trying to improve a different map. Sometimes when I load up a really elaborate map, I start to make the next map really elaborate also. This is usually a bad thing so I have learned to try and build a bunch of maps up all at the same time to reduce the completion contrast.

The long scheme of things has me planning to release a number of certain maps. For example, right now I have a Jungle Map, and a Desert Map, and a City Map, a Sc- Fi Map, and so on an do forth. I would like for my maps to each be different looking but still gravitate toward certain themes. I have two or three Temporal maps which are part of my Sci-Fi series.

My action itinerary usually goes something like, Rough Construction for layout and play type, mood and tone in each zone, defining the areas in a way that makes them familiarizing, then pushing the limit of enjoyable gameplay and aw inspiring things.

When I sit down to build the maps I often start with very similar shapes to block out where obstacles will be and how the flow or layout will unfold. This helps me in two ways. The first, I get a very fast, responsive level, and an idea for what is truly possible. I can replace any of those shapes, alleys, buildings, etc. with any color scheme I decide on. By building the foundation first and then decorating I can make very different looking maps that play exactly the way I intended.

Also, unlike others out there, I am not thinking about one brush set or object. There are Mappers that are good/familiar with one or two type of materials and they use those over and over as they build their maps. I want to stress that this is not a bad way of mapping. There are very successful Mappers with obvious Styles. After a couple releases you can start to see through repetition, the flare they bring. I want to be different so when I think about making a map, I don’t think about the materials as much as the function. After I decide what is necessary then I can explore how to make it work.

I try to think of the gameplay and layout as my brush set. The shape a building is, how large it is, or how far it is from something else is how I get started. The building could be a rock, a tree, or a car, it really doesn’t matter. The most important question I ask myself while making maps is, can I make it function in the way I design it?

This is something that can not really be estimated and involves a lot of playtime to see how the player is responding to what is before them. Once it is all implemented, then I can start to detail, colorize, or give mood to the different areas. I put at least 10 full hours or dedicated study in my maps being played before I release them. The easiest way for me to build strategies is by watching how people believe they can cheat.

I am extremely disciplined about what the word BETA means to me. All the features and functions already exist. From that point on the only changes I make are fine adjustments. Color, texture, time of day, spawn point balancing, ammo crate adjusting. If an alternative route is needed or something is broken (unfair) I will sometimes add or change it.

Sometimes, like in the case of Neverhood, I change something that I want to be obvious to gameplay or balance to find it overlooked by the player. As I design and play more maps I am able to get a better understanding of what to expect from both the player and the level. At that point I reevaluate what I am trying to achieve in the level and push it towards the common or know things I am seeing satisfy the player. I believe this is what makes my levels ‘fun’. After I make them, I watch how people are enjoying themselves and then give them more of that.

Originally posted by GODZ_CHEETAH:
    drskotal looks like the chick from charmed. anyways great map.
    She does kind of have that vibe going on huh?

Oh, and thank you for the complement. Something I have come to realize is that by having such a wide range of map styles (look and gameplay) that there will certainly be times when people love one map and hate another. I have made a conscious decision to make each experience different but in doing so I increase the probability of eventually disappointing any one individual. I am glad you like this one.

I have put an extra amount of time in the past couple months to try and make experiences that will keep the players from moving on. I am very proud of [360] Hobo Hodge Podge and [360] Fractured Fidelity because they keep me interested in FarCry2 and not MW2 or ODST. It is important to understand that without the support of the community, online in games and through the number of websites like these forums, FCMaps.net, FarCrySoup.com, etc. that FarCry’s playerbase shrinks. We, shouldn’t want that.

Why aren’t the great maps of FarCry2 being used to sustain the community’s needs? Well, in part, they are and another, I am not really sure. I see them evolving through other games. AVATAR to me feels like a FC1 but in third person, with feral abilities and everything. It shares almost all the same controls.

I believe that the great Player Maps of FarCry2 are continuing to influence the designs for FarCry3. I would certainly be pleased to see a number of maps out there recreated for FarCry3 by being optimized. What a way Ubisoft could give back to the community, don’t you think?

Thank you for being vocally supportive about your appreciation.

Originally posted by drskotal:
    This is my favorite map. No doubt about it.
    im glad me and neokinesis has made something somebody loves and is their favorite map. hopefully we get this response from everyone on planet earth.

yes! i finally found out how to do the qoute thing.two thombs way up for GODZ CHEETAH.

i have mispelled quote

[quote]Originally posted by GODZ_CHEETAH:
    Originally posted by drskotal:
    This is hopefully we get this response from everyone on planet earth.
    and mars.

Beautyfull map and map presentation as well !
    Great job
    http://www.farcry2.cz/
    My maps: Video all maps
    Golf Course [url=http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t

Far Cry 3 Elite Member neokinesis's Avatar
    Originally posted by Pacient.cz:
    Beautyfull map and map presentation as well !
    Great job
    Thank you, thank you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast