Thread: [Resolved] Could not get client.dll interface from library client. | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

First, some PC specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
    2 GB Ram
    Geforce 7800 GTX x 2 (SLi)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.41 GHz
    NVIDIA Driver version : 7.15.11.5818

I started to get the following error message right after the initial opening cinematic. Not the Ubisoft or other company logo.

(Engine Error) Could not get client.dll interface from library client.

This just started happening out of the blue and I am unable to resolve it by uninstalling. The disc is in the drive, and all updates have been applied. I was playing fine, I then saved and quit. Upon returning to the game, I get that error message. Does anyone have a clue how to resolve it? I was able to locate the "client.dll" it was referring to in my install directory so I know the file is there.

I just bought the game from EB and would hate to have to return it because I was really enjoying myself.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hello BuryMeBreathing.
    1. Try this:
    Originally posted by BlindNero:
    <span class="ev_code_black">=</span><span class="ev_code_yellow">1</span><span class="ev_code_black">=</span>. A mm.exe error, binkw32.dll error, white videos and then crash (or variants on this problem).

The clue to this problem is that by the mixed situation Steam/Ubisoft versions, the game has started to expect binkw32.dll on the wrong place (thus also thinking it is missing an ímage). Solution is to copy the dll to that 'wrong place'.
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>THE USER WHO uninstalled the game from Steam, then re-installed (or repaired) from the DVD OUTSIDE STEAM, then manually applied the patches 1.01 and 1.02 (from ubi.com) and gets above error:
    find the file binkw32.dll in your
    C:\Program Files\Dark Messiah of Might and Magic\mm\bin
    folder, and move (or copy and paste) it into the main directory:
    C:\Program Files\Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
    (If you can't find it, you can also copy it from your own DVD: DMOMMGC\Disk1\Support\arch\bin\binkw32.dll, or download and unzip binkw32.zip, it's the same file.)
    Also, remove the following key from Registry.
    Click Start > Run... type in:
    regedit
    click OK.
    Navigate to the key
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Source\mm]
    which you see in the picture below, and highlight it.
    Delete the key.

Then you're done.

<LI>THE USER WHO has installed the game from the DVD, then updated through Steam (so it has become a Steam game, it is in the Steam>My Games list and user launches the game from there or from the Steam-DMMM shortcut on desktop) and gets above error:
    copy&paste it into your STEAM\SteamApps\*your account*\dark messiah might and magic single player\bin
    folder. Then you're done.[/list]
    2. Please read this thread: DARK MESSIAH Installation and Troubleshooting Instructions
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Blín D'ñero Forums for Dark Messiah of Might & Magic + other games support

Well, Ive done what you instructed above and now I no longer get the client.dll crash. It simply crashes to the desktop with no error message. Interestingly enough, I didn't have the bink32w.dll on my HD at all so I downloaded it and installed it where you instructed.

Vista does report the following information when mm.exe crashes:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: mm.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 45211f69
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_e7bb
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 202b6859
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: e7bb
    Additional Information 2: ed427554f1937210ef41648de5ec920e
    Additional Information 3: 03ee
    Additional Information 4: cca13f8f543f96760c33218af551ea61

All my sound card and video card drivers are up to date with what you have in the thread you linked. I increased my virtual memory but nothing has worked. Im just wondering why this happened after I was able to play.

I was at the part where Im following the golem looking creature trying to get the crystal back. Actually, to be more specific, I was in some sewers right about to climb up a ladder.

Yes yes, "mm.exe has stopped working" is a frequent message in Vista (RC2) on my PC's too, while the game runs flawlessly on my XP systems. That's why i have dual boot, and still haven't bought Vista, not interested.
    It seems to be a memory addressing issue, the cause may be in the way Vista handles DirectX9.0 games (on the DX9L layer). The game was written for Windows XP; officially it is the only supported Operating System.

Originally posted by BlindNero:
    Yes yes, "mm.exe has stopped working" is a frequent message in Vista (RC2) on my PC's too, while the game runs flawlessly on my XP systems. That's why i have dual boot, and still haven't bought Vista, not interested.
    It seems to be a memory addressing issue, the cause may be in the way Vista handles DirectX9.0 games (on the DX9L layer). The game was written for Windows XP; officially it is the only supported Operating System.
    Apparently, after following your instructions, the only thing I had to do was to make sure I was *NOT* running the game in compatability mode.

The game is working and Im having a great time.

Thanks for confirming, BuryMeBreathing. Enjoy the game!