Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: [Mac] Myst IV Installation problem | Forums

Myst IV runs perfecly well under XP SP2.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

And Parallels 5 can run Windows 7.
    To the world, you are only one person. But to one person, you are the world. ~unknown

Hello everybody,

"Myst IV won't play...", "Myst IV won't install..." Seems like neverending story, eh? ;-)

Well, I'm new to this forum, and I came here because, as everybody can guess, I have some problems with installing "M IV R" on my Mac.

A note to our Moderator, Heimdall: Yes, I DID try to use "search" function, advanced options - but nothing it returned provided any clear and simple solution to my problem (or at least I just couldn't spot it in the big heap of "search results".

So, the story is as follows:
    Finally I got around to install "Myst IV" (purchased, as a second-hand DVD, mere three or four years ago) on my Mac.
    I copied the Installer to my HDD, double-clicked it - and nothing happened. The Installer icon just "jumped" briefly (3-4 times) in the dock and then disappeared - and that was it. No error message, not a word of info nor some window appearing briefly in the background - no, just plain nothing.

I started to search on the web for some info or remedies for that malfunction, using various issue-related phrases, but NOTHING I've came across -on this forum, or elsewhere- seemed to work for me (with one exception - a solution so complex that I decided not to try it; more about it in a minute).

I've changed permissions manually (in the "Get Info" window), I've tried 'chmod a+x' trick, I've tried copying the installer to Apps folder on my "root" HDD, I've tried to right-click on the installer to see the "package content" - simply, NOTHING works.

I couldn't even reproduce on my machine all the steps in 'chmod a+x' trick, and there's nothing like "see package contents" (or "open with") in the contextual menu for the installer - NOTHING, NULL, ZERO.

The DVD itself is OK - I've installed and run the game without any problem or glitch on my wife's PC (DELL P4 2.8 GHz/ 2 GB RAM, WinXP SP2, ATI Radeon X1300/256MB PCIe) - it just works, and it works beautifully.
    Also, I have installed this very same game, from the very same DVD, on my -lo and behold!- PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz with mere 512 MB RAM and ATI Mobility Radeon 9700/64 MB on board - and the game JUST INSTALLED AND STARTED WITHOUT A SINGLE GLITCH OR HICCUP!

(And just for the record: I also installed the game, without any problems, on my old PC: Win2K SP4, Celeron 1.8 GHz with less than 1 GB RAM and nVidia GF 4 MX/ 128 MB VRAM, 8x AGP - and it also runs on this machine, albeit with somehow inferior graphics.)

Yet, on my G5 DP 2.0 GHz / 4 GB RAM / Apple OEM ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB VRAM, and nearly 200 GB of free HDD space (combined) I just can't get the installer to do ANYTHING - no matter what I try.

Both Mac machines run OS X 10.4.11, with all the latest software updates installed (according to Software Update).
    And since I was aware about that "Java version related issue" I checked the verion of Java on both machines - I used the Terminal and 'java -version' command - and in both cases the displayed result was IDENTICAL:

PB G4:
    java version "1.5.0_19"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

Mac G5:
    java version "1.5.0_19"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

Perhaps I'm missing some important point here (well, I'm not computer geek, and I'm happy with just Mac's GUI), maybe there's more to that "Java version thing" that meet the eye (or, rather, "the terminal") - I don't know, but it really makes me wonder what's ACTUALLY wrong with this installation - and whether whatever version of Java is really a culprit here.

And about THIS solution:

Originally posted by wstrohm:
    Thought I would post the solution I found to the non-operating installer for Myst IV (which I also found to be the case for Myst V).

In Tiger 10.4.11 with all Software Updates added to the hard drive, there are 9 releases of Java. On the Myst IV and Myst V DVDs, there are two invisible files named "mac.command" and "macinstall.jar" which are used by the "Myst IV Setup.app" that was dragged to the hard drive. I looked at the Console log after double-clicking on "Myst IV Setup" and saw "cannot find /wizard.xml" as the last line. So I tried to open "mac.command" and got the same thing. Using JAR Launcher to try and open "macinstall.jar" I got the error message that it was "incomplete or corrupt." Remember, this is on the Cyan Worlds DVD!

Eventually I did an Archive and Install using my original Apple Tiger Install Disc 1. This installed Mac OS X 10.4 on my hard disk (and the corresponding version of Java). Immediately after that, I installed both Myst IV and Myst V, and the installation went perfectly.

At this point I also installed the Myst IV 1.0 ->1.03 patch for Mac (also a ".jar" file) which worked perfectly and gave the "1.03" script at the lower left corner of the Myst IV splash screen. (I had previously tried updating with that patch back when I did have Myst IV 1.0 installed, but under Mac OS X 10.4.11 that update would not run either.)

After the successful installation of Myst IV and Myst V and the Myst IV patch, I used Software Update to bring the OS up to 10.4.11, and all the Java stuff up to Release 9. The games play perfectly; I just cannot install them at this level of OS X/Java. My guess is that Java's latest (or maybe somewhat earlier) release lost compatibility with the "InstallShield" program used by Cyan Worlds for Myst IV and V.

Sounds impressive... ;-)

Well, I DO believe this solution worked - it is just bit too much of a hassle and rather time consuming procedure - and I'm bit hesitant to go through all this just to get back some two invisible files. Besides, I have my doubts whether it will work for me - see the above paragraph about apparently identical Java versions on both machines.

Well, If nothing else would help I might try installing fresh copy of the system, but this is, for me, "a last resort" solution - something just one step short of backing-up and erasing the entire hard drive... ;-)

So, if anybody knows some SIMPLE and "always-working" solution, and / or could clarify for me that "Java version" thing being (or not) the reason behind these problems I'd me most obliged. (I hope, maybe after so many years something clarified in this matter?)

;-)

Best,
    Kot Bonifacy

A lucid recount of your problems and history... I will reiterate that the routine I wrote above did work for me. I do believe that one or more of the later Java releases killed the ability of the "Install Shield" app on the Cyan DVD to properly install the game. As I wrote, once the game was installed, it ran fine after installing the 10.4.11 combo update from Apple. I realize that is a tedious job, but Java might be your problem... maybe unique to the G5 hardware.
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

Originally posted by wstrohm:
    A lucid recount of your problems and history... I will reiterate that the routine I wrote above did work for me. I do believe that one or more of the later Java releases killed the ability of the "Install Shield" app on the Cyan DVD to properly install the game. As I wrote, once the game was installed, it ran fine after installing the 10.4.11 combo update from Apple. I realize that is a tedious job, but Java might be your problem... maybe unique to the G5 hardware.
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. As I said before, I do believe this method have worked, at the very least for you and your machine - I'm just not 100% SURE that Java is the real culprit.
    Possibly, yes - but that "Java version info" from my machines gives me some doubts.
    And, as you said, it may be equally well something related to the hardware - and since we don't know it for sure, neither I'm 100% sure that this hassle with reinstalling OS will actually pay off.

Backing up over 80 GB of files, reinstalling Tiger, upgrading it and re-installig all my data, all that just to play a game in more convenient fashion seems to be just bit too much for my liking - and I don't really have the time to do all that right now (or any time soon).

I'd rather rig up my PB to my "regular" monitor, or just use my wife's PC (whenever it would be available). But both of these solutions have their drawbacks, so the best option would still be to "get it on, quick and easy" on the G5. But since it is not likely to happen, then I'll stick to what is readily available.
    I just hoped that after so many years somebody has found some simple solution to this bug, or maybe Cyan (or some third-party programmer) has made a new (or just patched), working installer file (which is just a mere 100+ KB tiny utility...)

Thanks anyway.
    Best,
    KB

Hi,

Try this installer (9MB - the 100KB app is just a launcher for the real installer). If that doesn't work, it's reasonably easy to do a manual install just by copying files off the discs. I can walk you through that if necessary.

Cheers,
    Gannet
    Mac OS X installer programs for Myst games:
    Myst III | Myst IV | Myst V | See all...

Thanks, Gannet! :-)

I'll give this installer a try, ASAP. (But: I just downloaded it and noticed it is only 5+ MB after unpacking, not 9 MB - is something missing here?)

About "manual install guidance" - thanks for the offer, but if everything that original MYST IV installer does is placing some files in "Myst IV" folder (6.99 GB, located inside Applications folder) then there'll be no need for any assistance - I can just hook up my PB G4, in Target Disc Mode, to my G5 and just copy the Myst IV folder (funny, I never thought of it before - it occurred to me only now... ;-)

At least, the "Find..." command, when searching for "Myst"(kind: "Any"), returns only the above result, apart from some unrelated part of words within some text or html documents. (This PB is just a very recent acquisition, and its hard drive is nearly empty - that is, not counting the Mac OS files, of course.)

However, should the original installer place some invisible or differently named files in whatever "Libraries" or "Supports", then some guidance will be appreciated. But I'll let you know when I'll need one.

Thanks again,
    best,
    KB

Sorry, 5MB is correct.
    Originally posted by Kot_Bonifacy:
    I can just hook up my PB G4, in Target Disc Mode, to my G5 and just copy the Myst IV folder
    That's absolutely true, the game folder is self-contained and can be just copied around at will. A firewire transfer is probably faster than installing off the DVD anyway
    Mac OS X installer programs for Myst games:
    Myst III | Myst IV | Myst V | See all...

Originally posted by Gannet7:
    Sorry, 5MB is correct.
    Good. Unfortunatelly, this installer isn't doing anything either. But...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    I can just hook up my PB G4, in Target Disc Mode, to my G5 and just copy the Myst IV folder
    That's absolutely true, the game folder is self-contained and can be just copied around at will. A firewire transfer is probably faster than installing off the DVD anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Much faster and simpler.

cheers,
    Kot Bonifacy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345