Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Patch 1.2 - One big problem | Forums

This problem or lack of research was highlighted when the game first came out. And yet after two patches it seems to have been forgotten, and yes I know it is low down on the priority queue but WHY?

Why is the Lancaster still in this game and in US markings? And after two patches?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Because they have much bigger fish to fry. I've never see allied landbased air cover anyway.

Communist penguin skipper elitist

Probably legal issues. American aircraft companies are known to cause developers some problems if they do not pay license fees. I do not have the details, but my money is on that problem. So I assume they put the Lanc in there as a solution.
    Bewolf

Never discuss with stupid people.
    They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The Lancaster was the first aircraft I saw in game and was rather shocked to see it in US insignia. Quite honestly why are any of the featured Allied aircraft in the game? Buffalo, Helldiver and Lancaster, why?! The Japanese have more than one maritime patrol aircraft allocated and yet the heavy bomber model plays both the bomber and the patrol aircraft for the Allies. I'd like to see multiple aircraft models for each type of aircraft ie fighter, dive bomber etc.

Early war we should see the Wildcat, Devastator and Dauntless. Later on the Hellcat, Avenger and eventually the Helldiver. Bomber wise the B24 should be there and of course the Catalina should be present. The Avenger, B24 and Catalina were all present in SH3 (I've ported the Avenger and B24 over) so why are they not there as standard in SH4? As for any legal issues concerning the aircraft it does seem totally bizarre if that is the case considering that all the possible aircraft types have turned up in numerous other games and simulations over the years. 62 years after the end of WW2 seems rather too much of a gap for present day companies to suddenly get all protective of those designs.

Originally posted by veovis39:
    Because they have much bigger fish to fry. I've never see allied landbased air cover anyway.
    I know they have bigger fish to fry - and there's a lot of them to fry too

But, if it wasn't in the Theatre of Operations then they should have left the aircraft out of it.

Surely the Dev team must have realised that a good percentage of players of this game have some knowledge of the game genre and subject - how can they think they could get away with it.

The only four engined heavy bombers I'm aware of that did see action in the Pacific was the B-17 and later on in the war being the B-29.

B-24s were used in far greater numbers in the PTO (SWPA, CBI) than B-17s were.

tater

did you notice the pentagram star insignia on it too ? (upside down)just a little anti-american easter egg i think
    "my fight is never over , there is always hope ..." Subhadar Roga Danar ST/TNG

BTW, the PBY and B-24 are totally unrelated to NG, and in fact MDD (owned by Boeing) shut down the division in 1996. There is nothing left of them.

The nonsense about NG and il-2 had more to do with them putting the company names on the box without ®, or ™ next to them than anything else. An unbelievably stupid error, proof again that anyone in the computer business (we've all seen posts from them demonstrating their grammar and spelling abilities) needs a copy editor.

The only "issue" surrounding those a/c is the use of a company's trademark. If you don't use the trademark, there's no problem, PERIOD. The designators (PBY or B24) were assigned by the U.S. government and are not copyrighted. They don't belong to anyone. You can also have a model resembling a Northrup-Grumman (TM) aircraft in a game so long as you don't use it's trademark. All that other **** that's been spewed forth by 1C as to why they don't use American a/c is just that, ****. Third-Wire ROUTINELY creates models resembling NG a/c, but they don't use it's corporate logo and trademarks. No royalties trade hands. THOSE ARE THE FACTS. Please dump the Lancaster, and get rid of the dive-bombing patrol planes.

ivanmnoe

Originally posted by Bewolf:
    Probably legal issues. American aircraft companies are known to cause developers some problems if they do not pay license fees. I do not have the details, but my money is on that problem. So I assume they put the Lanc in there as a solution.
    Fair enough, but DIVEBOMBING Lancasters?? If you tried that in a Lancaster, you'd end up dead!
    Can any modders fix this, maybe give us some Hellcats and genuine US divebombers?
    Mobo: GA-P35-S3
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
    RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
    O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast