Thread: need your help to upgrade: CPU or vid card? | Forums

I just got the game, and after purchasing a new Samsung DVD drive, I can run the game. The only thing is, the framerate is less than optimal. It still runs decently at medium settings with my current system specs:

P4 1.8Ghz
    Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB
    1 Ghz RAM

Anyways, what would be the better upgrade option for me, a new CPU or a new video card? If I get a new CPU, I'm looking at a P4 3.0Ghz. As for the video card i'm considering, i don't know where to start. So what say you? Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I just got the game, and after purchasing a new Samsung DVD drive, I can run the game. The only thing is, the framerate is less than optimal. It still runs decently at medium settings with my current system specs:

P4 1.8Ghz
    Geforce4 Ti4400 128MB
    1 Ghz RAM

Anyways, what would be the better upgrade option for me, a new CPU or a new video card? If I get a new CPU, I'm looking at a P4 3.0Ghz. As for the video card i'm considering, i don't know where to start. So what say you? Thanks!

It would be good to know what kind of motherboard you have in your system. I know it is socket 478 but it probably won't support the full FSB of a new chip so you would possibly be getting features in a new CPU that couldn't be used on your board.

You could look for a 6600GT video card, those can be had for around $200.

Go for the video card.

Honor the dead by living well

Go for the processor FIRST, without a dobut, a p4 is embarrasing anyway, especially at 1.8 ghz, a ti 4400 isnt that bad, its a good reliable card, i would upgrade both, and you can do it cheaply, but first that processor has to go

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fisherspond:
    It would be good to know what kind of motherboard you have in your system. I know it is socket 478 but it probably won't support the full FSB of a new chip so you would possibly be getting features in a new CPU that couldn't be used on your board.

You could look for a 6600GT video card, those can be had for around $200. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mobo I have is an MSI 865PE Neo2-V, which i got maybe about two months ago, so it's a socket 478, and "Prescott Ready" so says the mobo box. Are Prescotts faster than non-prescott (ie. Northwood) CPUs?

I would go video card personally...then save up and do proc. but thats me.the 6600GT was an excellant suggestion.