Thread: the settlers 7 | Forums

I did buy this game second hand but cannot play.they ask for the key code and when i put it in , they say : game is allready in use. You have to buy new key.Then i come in site ubisoft and have to download the new game and pay 49,99euro.What can i do? If this is real , ubisoft is "steeling" money from secondhand buyers.Help pls.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

No, the person who sold you the game stole from you if they did not provide you with the key and stop using it themselves. Take it up with them.

This is not true the seller is not in the wrong Ubisoft are. I purchased a used game with full key, when set up it says that it has already been used by another user. It is just a complete rip off. I think if more people got involved they would have been taken to court for theft.

I don't want to bring you down, but I feel I should tell you what you don't want to hear.

you have stumbled upon the REAL reason for this DRM, and not the reason ubisoft is leading everyone to believe is the reason.

it's not, and never has been about combatting piracy. if that was the case, the whole system would have been removed the moment it was bypassed as from that point it was effectively obsolete.

they are trying to kill off the second hand game industry, by forcing people to link their games to an online account. this renders the game useless upon resale because the person holding the account is still the rightful owner in the eyes of ubisoft. the fact that you have a game in your posession and a serial key is meaningless, you are not recognised by ubisoft, and I doubt you will get much support (if any) other than them telling you to pay up for another serial key.

it stinks I know, but I don't think there is anything you can do about it, like I said, you have found out the real reason why this DRM is being enforced on the public.

I personally am boycotting all ubisoft products other than the ones I already own that are free of this DRM until people within the company wake up and finally see sense.

al I can do if offer my sympathies and encourage you to keep this experience in mind when purchasing ubisoft games, not only via the second hand game industry, but also from reputable retailers. even if you buy a game and then decide to sell it, you are putting someone else through the miseries you are currently having to deal with.

just use common sense and give ubisoft a wide birth until they come down from their ivory towers and see things like we the public do.

Banned
    Yep, it isn't Ubisoft at fault not the seller. They sold you products which are registered to his account. Once you associate the game with your Ubisoft account you can't resell it. (legitimately)

The game is only £10 brand new inc P&P which in my opinion is a real bargain. No need to buy second hand

Unfortunately due the advent of 'serial generators', there will always be a case of legitimate new keys saying 'already in use'. It happens with Microsoft - and they've had their DRM on XP for over 10 years.

Originally posted by Andy-Roo_UK:
    The game is only £10 brand new inc P&P which in my opinion is a real bargain. No need to buy second hand

Unfortunately due the advent of 'serial generators', there will always be a case of legitimate new keys saying 'already in use'. It happens with Microsoft - and they've had their DRM on XP for over 10 years.

the difference between that and what is being discussed here, is that the serial key was already been activated by a legitimate user, then said user has sold the product on to a second hand buyer, ALONG with the key.

this DRM is completely different from anything microsft has used.

and for your information, it doesn't matter how cheap the game is being sold for, it is not a bargain. they are selling it at that price for a reason, the reason being the terms with which you have to comply to play the game. people are refusing to buy the game with the current "anti piracy" measures in place.

it's as simple as that.

Originally posted by DC.Pipp:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy-Roo_UK:

the difference between that and what is being discussed here, is that the serial key was already been activated by a legitimate user, then said user has sold the product on to a second hand buyer, ALONG with the key.

this DRM is completely different from anything microsft has used.

and for your information, it doesn't matter how cheap the game is being sold for, it is not a bargain. they are selling it at that price for a reason, the reason being the terms with which you have to comply to play the game. people are refusing to buy the game with the current "anti piracy" measures in place.

it's as simple as that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not anti piracy even in a quoted and sarcastic way. It's 100% Anti-Consumer.