Thread: Funky directx error & now profiler won't work | Forums

I started getting an error stating dinput8.dll was not a valid windows mirror.
    I replaced the file with one i downloaded, now the error has stopped, but profiler is still doa.
    i have tried reinstalling directx, but can't seem to manage that, either.
    I have also reinstalled SD6 but to no avail.
    I an running winxp 32bit & my directx is 9.0c.
    When i try to run dxdiag, it states, "...there may have been an error accessing DirectInput the last time this program was used. Would you like to bypass DirectInput this time?"
    answer no & dxdiag shut down. answer yes & i get a blank field on the input tab. I do not get anything like the long list of info i see posted here for diagnosis, so i am totally lost at this point.
    would updating to directx10 maybe help this?

Long & short, I can't fly and am getting REALLY cranky.

Thanks in advance,
    Turtle
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hmm, sounds like somehow directinput has gotten corrupted. Obviously replacing the file didn't help so either the file was the wrong one, or the file wasn't the real problem, just where the error manifested. Try clicking start > run and type regsvr32 dinput8.dll and hit enter, see if that helps. You may need to do a repair of Windows.
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks. Tried your suggestion & got this in response: DllRegisterServer in dinput8.dll succeeded.
    But...profiler still not cooperating.
    going to try the windows repair now.

Thanks again for the help. keep your fingers crossed.

VICTORY!!

Thanks, Urufu.
    My sanity is restored.