Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: ORIGINAL IL-2 | Forums

Hi All,

I was in the Salvation Army store yesterday and found a X-45 throttle for $5. I already have a cyborg evo stick, so any ideas on how to make them play nice together? The throttle came with no documentation and I need to get something to hook to it and to my rig (usb one end, serial the other I guess). Anyway, any advice you folks have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Once people realize they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" -Ben Franklin
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Banned
    As I recall, the throttle unit of the X-45 has the game port plug (yellow) attached to it that used to plug into the stick part, which in turn had the USB connector for the PC.

If you have access to a game port or get a game port to usb adapter, I'm betting you might be able to plug both the Cyborg stick and the throttle unit into your PC and with the possibility of installing Saitek drivers for the X-45, get them to play together on your PC.

I know I've read instances of people having conflicts when having two or more joystick/peripherals installed at the same time, but it's worth a try.

There are others here who use an MS FFB stick with their X-45 throttle units as well, but I forget if they actually had to make a wiring modification to the throttle unit or not.

Check out these three links to X-45 modifications made by Bearcat99. They might give you some further ideas:

http://forums.<b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b].com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/721...211046783#7211046783

http://forums.<b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b].com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/948...481009714#9481009714

http://forums.<b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b].com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/304...041056034#3041056034<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Coming Soon to a Full Six near you...
    Track Library

Thanks Slickstick,

I'm still trying to find a gameport/usb adaptor. I have an old one that went with a logitech stick, but it's female to usb so no go with the female end of the x-45. Anyone know of an adapter that'll work?
    Thanks again, erco<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Once people realize they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" -Ben Franklin

Banned
    Originally posted by erco415:
    Thanks Slickstick,

I'm still trying to find a gameport/usb adaptor. I have an old one that went with a logitech stick, but it's female to usb so no go with the female end of the x-45. Anyone know of an adapter that'll work?
    Thanks again, erco
    You can find a game port gender changer fairly easily as well.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Coming Soon to a Full Six near you...
    Track Library

If it is an X-45 throttle, the connector is NOT gameport. It's the same format connector but the wiring setup is proprietry Saitek. Short of bypassing the throttle internal circuitry and rewiring the pots & switches directly to a gameport plug you're not likely to get it to work.

Are you sure it's an X-45 throttle and not an X-36 or X-35 throttle? I think the X-35 was gameport but you'd have to check at Saitek's forums or SimHQ's Saitek Help forum to get more info, I'm a bit out of touch on those two.

By the way, that SimHQ forum used to have a thread in which someone posted the wiring diagram for an X-45, if you can find that it may help with your quest...<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<center>

SST X-45 profile | SST X-52 Profile | Joysticks & IL2/FB/PF | IL2Sticks Utility
    Maddox Forums Moderator</center>

Thanks Tully,

It's a x-45 throttle alright, it says so right on the top of it. It looks a little different than the one on the Saitek site - it has a blue metal cover on the top of the base vice the black the site's picture shows. I'd hoped that I could get away with getting a throttle for $5, and the throttle does have a nice selection of controls. I'll keep trying to see what I can do with this thing.

Thanks again.
    erco<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

I've got a couple of questions pertaining to the ORIGINAL Il-2, not FB.

First, I've found that I can install the co-op and single player missions into FB and they seem to work fine. There were some in there that I really enjoyed that aren't available in FB. I was wondering if there were any issues with putting the campaigns into FB as well, or will they cause a problem with the ones that are already there.

Second, and I've heard people talk about this before, the sound of the aircraft engines in Original is MUCH better and more realistic than FB. Is there any way to replace FB's sound files without screwing up anything? Will this cause problems on-line or in co-ops?

I remember a LONG time ago hearing some reason for the degraded sound in FB, but I can't remember what it was. Anybody else remember?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

4H_V-man
    The 2nd Horseman
    4H_V-man
    The 2nd Horseman

I would agree with you about the sounds,in my opion the orginal il-2 sure does sound very well,you might be able to copy the sound SFS files over but i doubt it will work.When you find out let me know

concerning the original missions,

We decided to include on the DVD release the static campaigns of original IL-2 as the most interesting from historical point of view (even the weather was restored in each sortie by known documents). We just checked it and it works okay with the Forgotten Battles engine and AI of Pacific Fighters. The bugs that were there (didn't load some of the missions) are corrected.
    http://www.simhq.com/_air7/air_249a.html

The sound engine was changed in FB to better simulate reality. You could hear someone approching your 6 in the orginal.

Ah, NOW I remember reading that somewhere! Thanks, Steve. Oh, well, guess I got a "head start" on some folks.

I agree about being able to hear someone coming up behind you, but I can still hear aircraft approaching in 4.05. And the engines, particularly the Allison in the '39 and the turbo on the 109 sounded SOOOOO GOOOOD in the Original. They aren't nearly as good in FB.

While I'm at it...I didn't have TIR when I had the Original loaded before, and now I do. How do I get TIR to work with it? I've tried copying the line from the config in FB and pasting it, but it still doesn't work.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

4H_V-man
    The 2nd Horseman
    4H_V-man
    The 2nd Horseman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast