Thread: Strange IrfanView Problem | Forums

I have a strange problem with my IrfanView program.

I have no problem opening or loading a new file. However, if I click on the loaded picture and spin the scroll wheel on my mouse, I get a strange box with a message:

Does anyone know what this means? The program works fine unless I scroll the mouse wheel.

Aviar
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Intel DP43TF Motherboard
    3GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Dual
    MSI GTX 660Ti Twin Frozr IV - 2GB
    Creative X-Fi
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    24" Acer LCD - P241W
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
    CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
    TM Tacticalboard
    GoFlight GF-T8 Module
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have a strange problem with my IrfanView program.

I have no problem opening or loading a new file. However, if I click on the loaded picture and spin the scroll wheel on my mouse, I get a strange box with a message:

Does anyone know what this means? The program works fine unless I scroll the mouse wheel.

Aviar
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Intel DP43TF Motherboard
    3GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Dual
    Creative X-Fi
    24" Acer LCD - P241W
    TM Tacticalboard
    GoFlight GF-T8 Module

Looks like the scroll wheel opens a function with which you can select the default folder where IrFanView will store the images you are editing.

I'm not an IrFanView user, so just guessing here

The default function of rolling the scroll wheel in IrfanView is to move backwards or forwards through the folder of images. You can see this more clearly if you open a folder containing a number of images. The window you posted appears when you try to scroll past the last image in the folder.

B

"The default function of rolling the scroll wheel in IrfanView is to move backwards or forwards through the folder of images."

Sorry, but not in my version of Irfanview (4.23). It has never done that.

"You can see this more clearly if you open a folder containing a number of images. The window you posted appears when you try to scroll past the last image in the folder."

Again, this is not how MY version works. If I open a folder with one or more images, there is the usual scroll bar on the right. This is what the mouse wheel controls. It does not '...scroll...the images...', as you say. Also, if I do use the scroll wheel within a folder, I NEVER get that message anyway, so like I said, that's not how MY version works.

As I stated earlier, I get this message when I have already LOADED the image. As soon as I move the scroll wheel, the message pops up. Nothing is being scrolled......up or down.

Also, one more thing. Nothing on this message screen works anyway. If I highlight a selection and click on 'Use Folder', nothing happens. Very strange.

Aviar
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Intel DP43TF Motherboard
    3GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Dual
    Creative X-Fi
    24" Acer LCD - P241W
    TM Tacticalboard
    GoFlight GF-T8 Module

Brando is on the right track here.

I've downloaded and installed 4.25.

It does show a scroll bar top/bottom, which scrolls by using the mouse wheel, but only if the image loaded is larger than the irfanview window.
    If it does not show the scrollbar (thus the image is smaller than the window), the mouse wheel is indeed showing the next image in the folder. If there's no next image, it will show the window you are showing in your first post here.

However, one can influence this behaviour: See Edit, Properties/Settings.
    Under Browsing/Editing one can switch on or off:
    * If the end/begin of the folder is reached, loop current folder (during browsing)
    * 'Jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse wheel is used (if vertical scrollbar visible)'
    Under Full Screen/Slideshow you can select 'Show images/movies with the original size' so irfanview will not resize the images to fit the screen, and you may always have a vertical scroll bar ... or pick a different option of the set of options there.

This behaviour may suddenly have changed if you've recently changed your screen resolution, like increased the vertical value... chances are it will show images without the need of a vertical scroll bar...

"It does show a scroll bar top/bottom, which scrolls by using the mouse wheel, but only if the image loaded is larger than the irfanview window.
    If it does not show the scrollbar (thus the image is smaller than the window), the mouse wheel is indeed showing the next image in the folder. If there's no next image, it will show the window you are showing in your first post here."

This may be true. However, that's not how it's reacting in my version. Even if I load a file from a folder that has many files, I get that screen as soon as I move the scroll wheel. It doesn't matter if I loaded the first file, the last file, or a file somewhere in the middle. So, it's NOT scrolling through any images at all.

Now, if I zoom in on the file after it's loaded, then yes, I get a scroll bar and the mouse wheel works as usual (no message). In other words, it scrolls the image up/down. The message only appears when there is no scroll bar on the loaded file. See what I mean? The program is not doing what Brando said it should do.

Not really a big deal, as the program is working fine otherwise.

*PS. I put a check in the 'If the end/begin of the folder is reached, loop current folder (during browsing)' option and that fixed it! Thanks guys.

Aviar
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    Intel DP43TF Motherboard
    3GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Dual
    Creative X-Fi
    24" Acer LCD - P241W
    TM Tacticalboard
    GoFlight GF-T8 Module