Thread: US Tank Destroyer tactics | Forums

I've read books and watched a good many documentaries about US armoured tactics in the second world war, and I've come across the phrase "shoot and scoot," a lot connected with US Tank Destroyers. Has anyone managed to pull this tactic off? In my attempts the tank destroyer gets destroyed after one shot. Any other ideas about how to effectively use the US tank destroyers ( esp. Wolverine) against Germans/Soviets would be welcomed.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Originally posted by jpnelson82:
    I've read books and watched a good many documentaries about US armoured tactics in the second world war, and I've come across the phrase "shoot and scoot," a lot connected with US Tank Destroyers. Has anyone managed to pull this tactic off? In my attempts the tank destroyer gets destroyed after one shot. Any other ideas about how to effectively use the US tank destroyers ( esp. Wolverine) against Germans/Soviets would be welcomed.
    use meatshields.

7th Panzer Division, La Division Fantome.

Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done ~ Kenpachi Zaraki

Tactical maneuvring in a fight nearly never adds anything.
    -----------------------------------

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. - Sun Tzu

Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack. - Sun Tzu

TD's aren't fast enough to do that and RUSE doesn't really incorporate uphill vs. downhill things too often, it's further complicated with recon and the ability to see units coming.

But a good tactic I learned was to spread out your TD's like you would infantry or AA vs. bombing runs. So when your opponet comes in with 10 KT's all in one stack they have to keep turning their turrets giving the tank destroyers more time to at least make them panic and/or kill their recon.
    This is everyone in the PC forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

Micro is much easier on the PC, also being able to zoom in etc and even having the timing to use the speed of the turret.

Meatshields is the best thing to do. Just have units infront to take the damage. US tank destroyers have turrents and their cheap as chips. Therefore they shoot and aim faster then other TD that must aim their entire unit to look at the enemy, not only moving backwards easily. The meatshield gives them time to aim and not get shot as quickly. If your using wolverines against Marder's or SU-85 it isn't to much of a good idea since the Marder shoots 500m and has huge damage while the SU-85 has quite a bit of armour but still killable on the PC with micro.
    Don't pray for an easy life. Pray to be a strong person