Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Hell Hell | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Trying to master Surf Hell is driving me nuts. The chords in the chorus register inconsistently, but what's maddening is that even though I'm playing them, the game doesn't recognize them and then drops my phrase level!

It's bad enough not to get the points, but that means I can't master the song no matter what I score, because the section's no longer maxed.

I've taken to just restarting the song when I see the "phrase level down," but I haven't been able to get over 100,000 points yet.

This is the kind of frustrating thing that makes me want to throw the game in the trash. There doesn't seem to be any logic to when it recognizes a chord and when it doesn't, and the whole dropping a phrase level is feeling really arbitrary.

Just venting,

Matt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

just use the riff repeater , you never prhrase level down, and even the 5 life restart wont take as long as restarting the whole song. those chords are a pain, specialy goiing to them straight out of that fast riff

Originally posted by rhinokio:
    just use the riff repeater , you never prhrase level down, and even the 5 life restart wont take as long as restarting the whole song. those chords are a pain, specialy goiing to them straight out of that fast riff
    That's how I got the level to 100%. I'm trying to unlock master mode, which requires 100,000 points with every section maxed. The problem is that by knocking my phrase level down, it prevents me from getting to master mode.

This is a song I have mastered after quite a bit of effort.
    Which phrases(s) level(s) down? - is it as you move up the fretboard towards 12/15.If so then coould it be intonation..?

If its the only song that you suffer this then could it be just good old fashioned needs-more-practice?

I had the same problem with those muted strings in the initial chords of the radiohead song - I was cursing the random recognition but it was just me failing to mute the strings properly - its quite picky about that (as I'm finding right now with Sigur Ros).

Am just mentioning my experiences, not saying your're doing it wrong or anything...
    If you say 'gullible' slowly it sounds like 'oranges'.

UPlayID: KinchBlade SteamID: KinchBlade

I can't remember if I unlocked the master mide or not on this one,... but ya this is a little of a pain if I remember well.

what I do remember is that I switched fingering on the chords. I play the C, Bb and D with the root on the A string instead of having to jump down to the 8th fret on the E strings,... the game will still recognized the chords since the voicing and octave are the same.

Try switching pickups (if your guitar has that option). This usually works for me.

Good idea - wish I'd thought of that.
    Well strictly speaking, I wish I could have thought of that

Originally posted by Drunkbiker:
    I can't remember if I unlocked the master mide or not on this one,... but ya this is a little of a pain if I remember well.

what I do remember is that I switched fingering on the chords. I play the C, Bb and D with the root on the A string instead of having to jump down to the 8th fret on the E strings,... the game will still recognized the chords since the voicing and octave are the same.
    If you say 'gullible' slowly it sounds like 'oranges'.

UPlayID: KinchBlade SteamID: KinchBlade

Originally posted by Drunkbiker:

I'm glad to hear this - I thought of it this morning, and haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Originally posted by KinchBlade:
    This is a song I have mastered after quite a bit of effort.
    Which phrases(s) level(s) down? - is it as you move up the fretboard towards 12/15.If so then coould it be intonation..?

If its the only song that you suffer this then could it be just good old fashioned needs-more-practice?

I had the same problem with those muted strings in the initial chords of the radiohead song - I was cursing the random recognition but it was just me failing to mute the strings properly - its quite picky about that (as I'm finding right now with Sigur Ros).

Am just mentioning my experiences, not saying your're doing it wrong or anything...
    It's chords, and it's all over the place. I have the same issue with Gobbledi**** - I'm playing the chords at the right time, but they're not recognized. I can see it on the replay. Someone suggested strumming lightly through the chord, and that helped (I went from 63% accuracy to 82%).

One major problem is that there's no feedback to tell you what you're doing wrong. Is there one note that it's not hearing? Is it an extra note? There's no way to tell, so it's tough to diagnose if there's a technique issue.

Generally, I do love the game, but the lack of useful feedback is seriously frustrating. And it's worse on the riff repeater where you don't even get the replay; you just get told to try again with no information about what you screwed up.

Matt

Originally posted by iplawyer2011:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drunkbiker:

I'm glad to hear this - I thought of it this morning, and haven't had a chance to try it yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This did it. Just unlocked master mode!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast