Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cal. count. | Forums

Hello,

first of all I have to say that I love your Game.
    A half year ago I had a weight from 105 kilos.
    With jogging everyday and change the way I eat brought me to 87 kilos and Yourshape is much more itense then just jogging!
    But I really have to complain about the count like the title says.
    I went to my doc a few days ago to messure the optimal pulse rate for me when I'm doing endurance sports and he also messured my cal count w running at aspeed of 10,5 km/h it was 908 (+/- 10% correctly).
    Just now I played that running around the world thing don't know the exact name in english and after 6 minutes and 3 challenges the calorie count told me it was 6!
    Even a phone call burn more callories and it's the same with all of the activities.
    It's demotiating when you have an hour of workout (only breaks to choose the next workout) and the count told you that you did around 200 in that time and it's not true.
    Pleaaaase do something about it!

Thanks for reading
    Greetings
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

To the developers... the calorie counting has gone beyond catastrophe to being a complete joke, except none of the PAYING customers are laughing.

(Sorry for the long post.)

I've mentioned before on the forum that I used to be a long distance runner and trained and competed with a running club. I would train twice a day Tuesday to Friday (morning and evening), track running on Saturday morning (if not racing), and if not racing then a long run on Sunday (15-20 miles); Monday was my rest day. I used to run sub 5 minute miles in races and took my running very serious so calorie counting is something I needed to know about. To put things into perspective, on an easy training run (7.5 minute mile pace) I would burn about 100 calories per mile. I know that running is aerobic (except for sprint training) and most of these exercise are anaerobic due to the short high intensity bursts. However, I know that, for example, the 25 minute Arms routine I just did was harder than a "casual" 3 mile run at 8 minute mile pace, and during that run I would have burned at least 300 calories. On that routine the game told me that I had only burned a miserable 70 calories!

To make matters worse I am beginning to suspect how this game seems to be programmed. With about 14 minutes to go in that 25 minute routine I had reached 45 calories and was making almost perfect chains on every routine. I continued working at the same level, yet the calorie counter stopped moving at some points even though my tracking was almost perfect. It seems that there is some type of capping system built into the game. In other words, the game has been pre-determined to award in the region of X calories for a particular exercise and this is based on average performance (with a number of missed chains). It is not prepared for a user who performs almost perfect routines all the way through so it has to "tread water". I've noticed this on other routines before the updates too, especially Boot Camp.

Like TiiDusX I love the game because I like to keep fit and the routines are brilliant (I still think we should be able to mute that stupid woman who gives the most lame advice; for example, after getting 100% on a routine she says, "Keep up the good work to improve your scores"?!?) I realise that Kinect is limited and is never going to give perfectly accurate calorie scores. However, it is very demotivating when I am giving my best and I am being told after doing an intensive 25 minute workout that I've burned little more calories than I would in an hours afternoon nap - we burn about 1 calorie a minute whilst sleeping!

I did one of the Boot Camp levels earlier...

...8 calories. 8!

I'd burn more from the stress of thinking about doing the boot camp levels, let alone actually doing them.

This thread might help you out a bit Update to YSFE 2012 this morning - Edit Profile.

____
    Life is in the details, don't miss a thing

@Psychotext:
    I posted these two links some time ago in another thread:
    http://k2.kirtland.cc.mi.us/~balbachl/calorie.htm
    http://whatscookingamerica.net...CalorieBurnChart.htm

I am not suggesting that these are an absolute authority (the first one takes its data from sports journals publishing in the 1990's). However, they do roughly agree with one another and I could have posted countless other links which would return calorie figures in the same ball park.

Take for example table found on the second link. Using their simple formula. Look up the "multiplier" for the type of activity; the value is 0.096 for squats, then use calories burned = _multiplier_ * weight (in pounds). So I would burn roughly 0.096*182 = 17.472 per minute doing squats.

Working backwards. That 7 minute Boot Camp (which I also burned 8 calories in): 8 = _multiplier_ * 182* 7 => _multiplier_ ~= 0.006. Using that table I can see that standing still has a multiplier of 0.009. Come on, Ubishaft!

[edit]Fixed second link[/edit]

The 2nd link is dead.. but the first is really interesting! thanks!

I would recommend to everyone of you to open a ticket on support.ubisoft.com describe your problem and wait for the automatic answer and then describe it exactly! Its importand that you don't wait longer than 48hours after they answered because after that time your ticked is "closed" because they think you solved the "problem" by yourself... (the second and 3rd answer would be also pattern-copy-pasted.. so don't let up )

I think this is the only efficient way to point the devs to the CCC

the more the better

Sorry about that. I copied and pasted it from the other thread I originally posted it in forgetting that the web address on the screen contains ellipsis in the middle to keep the URL shorter. Anyway I've fixed the link and it should work now.

Hey everyone,

I came back from holidays, downloaded the update and my calorie burn count has dropped by two thirds. Two minutes of jump rope on medium difficulty now give me 6 calories burnt, it used to be 18; that was the most extreme example.

If I'm running I'll burn 28kCal. I know running is more intensive, but the old figure of 18 seemed to be just right.

Having said that, I agree that the old method of estimating calories was off, but this seems even worse now.

Please, devs, sort it out. I'm fed up of opening support tickets just to have them closed after 24 hours with no resolution.

I've not been back for a while and I noticed that there are still a significant number of posts in which the community are unhappy with the calorie count. I've searched and searched, but perhaps I missed the official response from Ubishaft we've been asking for?

I've been using YSFE since Christmas 2010. I do a minimum of 3x30 minute workouts each week, but often a lot more. I love the exercises and I've already said how much I think the new version is even better. So after all this time how can they get the calorie counting so wrong and why do they continue to ignore our requests to either fix it or provide a justification of the methods they use?

It's the inconsistency between exercises which drives me potty. For example, how can I only have burned 10 calories on the 8 minute Boot Camp and burn 17 calories doing a 5 minute Zen energy class? I'm 6 feet tall, weigh 13 stone, and I am very fit. I've played the game so much that my moves are perfect (it's only the tracking system which occasionally misses me) and I rarely score below 90% on a whole class/workout. I know that I would burn at least 100 calories during an 8 minute intensive, high energy workout, like Boot Camp.

As an aside, I wondered if the percentage scores we get for a complete workout had any effect on the number of calories burned... they don't! You can stand in front of the camera doing absolutely nothing and score the same.

Come on, Ubisoft.

Quote Originally Posted by euler_13 View Post
    As an aside, I wondered if the percentage scores we get for a complete workout had any effect on the number of calories burned... they don't! You can stand in front of the camera doing absolutely nothing and score the same.
    Whaat ow no! Silly me, i didn't ever tried it.. this is so ridiculous.. (but now i have a fix for my upcoming acievement-problems..)

Btt my support-ticket was closed a week ago, but they told me this would happen, because of their system.. i really hope they didn't ignore it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast