Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CH Fighterstick Deadzone | Forums

The CH fs deadzone is about 20 degrees with the stick sensitivity set to max (100%). My old Sidewinder stick is less than 3 degrees deadzone. Since sim software samples voltage levels from input devices, it is a simple matter for UBI to lower their voltage sensing threshold for the PC. The CH sticks are very accurate since their pots output very low voltages that smoothly increase with angle of movement. Changing a few lines of code in the software would allow more joysticks to achieve less deadzone swing ... as a suggestion ...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Same problem on X52 Pro, AV8R-02, and indeed on XBOX controller. I had to offset my voltage curves at the zero point (both positive and negative) to remove the deadzone on my own design X52 Pro/Xbox adapter.

REALLY can't understand why HAWX doesn't have deadzone and sensitivity settings like just about every other flying/racing/FPS game on the market. Multi-point curves would be even better (The only good thing about Race Pro (worst game I've ever bought) is that it had three setting zones on each side of zero to allow tailoring of response (I like Futaba's negative exponential for R/C flying)).

Also don't understand why Microsoft doesn't build in an over-ride capability to the Xbox360 that could optionally override any in game programmed setings

Colin
    Colin

HAWX Callsign: "Demon"

Originally posted by ColinJetset:
    Same problem on X52 Pro, AV8R-02, and indeed on XBOX controller. I had to offset my voltage curves at the zero point (both positive and negative) to remove the deadzone on my own design X52 Pro/Xbox adapter.
    Colin
    Yep ... Hawx could have allowed tweaking the input voltages to match any given stick via in game controls. Somewhere in their software algo there is a Threshold setting routine (always required) that could easily be tweaked to allow lower and higher input voltages (more threshold swing) regardless of polarity (+ or -). The greater the swing, the finer the in game adjustments that are allowed (Voltage Delta Accel).

They say they will put a deadzone option in the Patch IF and WHEN they ever give it to us....I know you don't have a twist rudder but oddly enough it DOESN'T have a deadzone issue...
    Sys. Specs.
    i7 2600K@4.6|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|2x4096 Corsair Vengence 1600 |Sapphire HD7970 OC|WD Caviar Black 6.0Gbps 1TB x2@RAID 0 |SB X-Fi Fatality Pro|TT Tough Power 1200W|TT Kandalf L.C.S.|Acer V243H 1920x1080 LCD|Logitech G25|Logitech G5|Logitech G15

Originally posted by LT.INSTG8R:
    I know you don't have a twist rudder but oddly enough it DOESN'T have a deadzone issue...
    Yep ... My MS Sidewinder has the twist rudder and sure enough it has a much smaller dead zone. I am trying to adjust to the CH Fighterstick dead zone since I don't want to have to swap out Sticks with other games. Have not been able to get the Pedals to work with Hawx yet but I set some switches on the stick to suffice until I get the problem worked out. The HOTAS setup overall helps a little.

My Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 Joystick has a dead zone of about 25% in pitch inputs and 15% in roll. That's the main reason I use my Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2. That, and it has more buttons. There is also a noticeable dead zone on the RumblePad, but not as bad. It makes me think the game was designed for use with game pads and not joysticks.

Also, I think the game only allows for one input device at a time, so you might not be able to get your rudder peddles to work. Unless, maybe you can assign them to keyboard buttons.

Originally posted by Wrend:
    My Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 Joystick has a dead zone of about 25% in pitch inputs and 15% in roll. That's the main reason I use my Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2. That, and it has more buttons. There is also a noticeable dead zone on the RumblePad, but not as bad. It makes me think the game was designed for use with game pads and not joysticks.

Also, I think the game only allows for one input device at a time, so you might not be able to get your rudder peddles to work. Unless, maybe you can assign them to keyboard buttons.
    Absolutley correct on both accounts Wrend.
    That is why Joysticks have such huge deazones is the game is "tuned" for gamepads as it is a console port.
    Yes this game only supports one input device and the only way to make your pedals work is to map them as keys(I am happy to just use my twist rudder with this game anyway seeing as it works well as far as the deazone goes)
    Sys. Specs.
    i7 2600K@4.6|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|2x4096 Corsair Vengence 1600 |Sapphire HD7970 OC|WD Caviar Black 6.0Gbps 1TB x2@RAID 0 |SB X-Fi Fatality Pro|TT Tough Power 1200W|TT Kandalf L.C.S.|Acer V243H 1920x1080 LCD|Logitech G25|Logitech G5|Logitech G15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wrend:

Absolutley correct on both accounts Wrend.
    That is why Joysticks have such huge deazones is the game is "tuned" for gamepads as it is a console port.
    Yes this game only supports one input device and the only way to make your pedals work is to map them as keys(I am happy to just use my twist rudder with this game anyway seeing as it works well as far as the deazone goes) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, HAWX can use multiple input devices. I have both the CH Fighterstick and the CH Throttle running and both work quite well together. It seems - by default - the CH devices see each other as one device on 2 ports. Some of the switches are duplicated from the throttle to the Stick but there are still more than enough. The problem with the pedals is that with a Stick, Throttle and Pedals, 4 axis are required (X,Y,Z and one more for the Pedals). HAWX only offers 3 Axis: X & Y for Pitch and Roll and Z for either the pedals or the Throttle Port (not both). Using the 4-way on the Stick works ok for Pedals in fast turns ... The only reason I cannot use the CH pedals with the Stick (minus Throttle) is due to the Toe Brakes on the CH Pedals. They upset Hawk and the Pedals are erratic. I can use the CH software to deactivate the toe brakes but for this game, Stick switches are just fine. I just use the Pedals on MS FSX and driving games anyway ... IF for some reason UBI offers a 4th axis in an update, I would hook the pedals back up ...

Afterthought: Yep .. you are absolutely correct in saying HAWX is basically a console game modified for PC. If UBI was smart, they would rework the PC Version of HAWX for full PC performance. The PC market is exploding right now with advances in graphics and CPU performance. I much prefer my PC to my PS3. The graphics on my rig are much better than the PS3 and functionality and options for most games far exceed anything my PS3 can come up with.

EVGA 750i FTW MOBO, E8500 @ 4.5 OC, 3 mb Corsair 8500 level 2, EVGA GTX 260-216 SC, Koolance WC, Samsung 22", XP SP3 (no Vista for me) ... waiting for Sys 7 before I upgrade everything (I7 CPU, etc...) ...

Yes your CH is considered ONE input device it is a HOTAS same as My X-52 and X-52 Pro that is by design on the device itself. It has nothing to do with Axis's I have rudder axis no problem on my X-52's because they are "Device 1"
    IF you add pedals they are considered a Input Device 2(unless you go into Game Controllers an assign it as the Default/Primary)But then you will have no HOTAS. Or alternatively use the software for it to "trick" HAWX into thinking it's a keyboard.
    The point still stands this game only see's ONE input device your CH whether or not it uses 2 USB ports the software "makes" it one device
    Sys. Specs.

Yes your CH is considered ONE input device it is a HOTAS same as My X-52 and X-52 Pro that is by design on the device itself. It has nothing to do with Axis's I have rudder axis no problem on my X-52's because they are "Device 1"
    IF you add pedals they are considered a Input Device 2(unless you go into Game Controllers an assign it as the Default/Primary)But then you will have no HOTAS. Or alternatively use the software for it to "trick" HAWX into thinking it's a keyboard.
    The point still stands this game only see's ONE input device your CH whether or not it uses 2 USB ports the software "makes" it one device
    Ahhhhhhhhh ... I tried just that (Device 2) and set the rudders as Axis "R" ... It got squirrley. Actually in CH software, up to 8 axis can selected if the game supports it. Apparently 6 axis in Hotas and 2 in Pedals. I also tried setting pedals as device 1 (combining with HOTAS) and although the CH software can support this, the HAWX game cannot ... you are correct. Only one device's service routine can be handled in HAWX.

How do you like your TrackIR4 with this game?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast