Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Precog's X45 Profile, Installation and Troubleshooting Guide v1.02 *** | Forums

This ongoing community X45 User's guide has been written in response to some of the problems that users have encountered while try to configure there X45 joystick for LOMAC.

From my experience, and from the feedback of others, the X45 joystick works flawlessly with LOMAC, and nearly all problems described by users can be resolved through correct installation and understanding of how the Saitek X45 software works. Therefore, please read through this guide before installing and posting any problems you have with X45 and LOMAC.

Ok ...here we go:

INSTALLATION

1.First thing first, I highly recommend that you use the Saitek STT software instead of the 'built-in' profile that comes with LOMAC. To do this, you need to have the latest Saitek drivers and SST software installed (Make sure you select 'advanced user' during the install process). You can download the driver and software together here:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/down/drivers.htm

2. Next, download an X45 profile for LOMAC. You can download my X45 profile from either of these two sites:

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthrea...&threadid=5663

http://gwwalter.customer.netspace.net.au/X45_LOMAC.zip

The zip file you download comes with two profiles, TrackIR and Non-TrackIR, and their corresponding key command documents.

3.Place the LOMAC profile (eg. LOMAC.dat or LOMAC - No TrackIR.dat) in the Saitek software directory. For example, I need to put my profile in this directory on my computer: C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software.

4.Next, unplug any other joystick that you are using and plug in your X45 joystick. Activate the profile by right clicking on the X45 joystick icon in the taskbar and choose the LOMAC profile you installed in the software directory. The joystick icon in the taskbar should now be highlighted green.

Note: The way the Saitek software works is by translating the button pressed on your joystick to a keyboard command. You can quickly check that you have done the above steps properly. Open up Microsoft Word document or Notepad, set mode 1 on the joystick and press the 'fire c' button. You should see a keyboard command written in the document that corresponds to the button pressed. With my profile activated, you should see the letter 'f' written in the document corresponding to the flaps in LOMAC.

Now we need to configure LOMAC a little so that our joystick works properly in the game.

5.First, clear the in-game mapping for the Saitek X45 flight controller so that there is no potential for conflict between it and the Saitek SST software we are using. To do this go to options -> Input and select the Saitek X45 flight controller under the DEVICE menu. DO NOT clear the commands for the keyboard. Clear all the commands as shown in the screenshot below:

Similarly, make sure you clear the commands for the other sections 'flight', 'custom' and 'combat'.

6.In order for the plane to fly straight in the game, switch menu from buttons to axes, select Thrust axis, click change and move your throttle to assign it to that axis only. Make sure thrust is not assign to any other axis by selecting both left and right thrust and clearing anything assign to them. Similarly, you'll also want to assign zoom to one of the rotaries (slider 1). ITs important that the 'smoot slider' is set to MAX. Your setup should look similar to the screenshot below:

7.Now, we need to tweak the pitch, roll and rudder axis to improve flight stability and overcome any adverse roll effects. Highlight pitch in the buttons map, make sure 'enable responses' is 'on' and adjust the response curves as shown in the above diagram. Do the same for roll and rudder axes. You might want to customize it to suit your own preference; however, the important thing here is to add some 'deadzone' for pitch, roll and rudder.

8. If you have downloaded my TrackIR profile, you'll notice that I use F9 and F10 keys for enable and centre trackir. To avoid any conflict, you'll have to re-assign any key commands within LOMAC that conflict with these two keys. For example, you'll need to assign Theatre view (orignally F10) to Alt-F11 so that it works with my profile. Also,make sure you assign unlock view to F7 so that padlock functionality works properly.

PRECOG'S PROFILE CHANGES V1.02
    ------------------------------

These are the changes that have been be made since the orginal profile.

1) Added 'AWACS declare' and 'Vector to bandit' to AUX 1 and AUX 3. IMPORTANT: Make sure you re-set to AUX 2 when not in use else you may have some strange behaviour when using pinkie switch or changing modes.
    2) Slowed down the panning speed so its no longer using fast pan.
    3) Swaped weapon release with Roger Wilco. Voice Comms (Roger wilco) is now on the 'fire D' button, and the guns assigned to the trigger button.
    4) Removed increase/decrease azimuth as it doesnt provide any advantage.
    5) Toggle EO system included in modes 1 and 3.
    6) Added toggle Nav lights in place of AWACS -tanker. AWACS -tanker and AWACS -Home assigned to AUX 0 and AUX 2 in Mode 2.
    7) Seperated the gun and weapon release trigger
    8) The 'main cockpit view' has been altered to incorporate the breaking of padlock.
    9) Updated the checklists on the command sheet
    10) Added Auto-throttle to 'air to ground' mode
    11) Added continuous chaff/flare to 'air-to-air' mode
    12) Added launch override button
    13) CRPP mode added
    14) Added rear view command

Ive also swap a few commands around just to make them more user-friendly.

If you feel that something should be changed then let me know

TROUBLESHOOTING
    ----------------

Q:Some of the commands seem to work, some of them don't even though everything looks fine in the profile I installed? I found I was getting spurious responses?

A:Make sure you select the X45 stick in the inputs menu and remove all commands associated with it. This avoids any potential conflict between the Saitek software which emulates keyboard commands and the X45 profile that comes with LOMAC.

Q:I've got the X45 and the plane also keeps rolling to one side?

A:In order for the plane to fly straight in the game, switch menu from buttons to axes, select Thrust axis, click change and move your throttle to assign it to that axis only. Make sure thrust is not assign to any other axis by selecting both left and right thrust and clearing anything assign to them. Also, make sure you have some deadzone assigned for pitch, roll and rudder.

Q:Instability seems to increase after I fly for a few minutes. It feels as though Im having to fight the stick even after adding dead zones?

A:You need to continuously trim the aircraft in LOMAC. If you only trim it for one speed and then you change your speed, the aircraft will appear to be unstable and you'll have to continually fight it to keep it straight and level. Your instability problems will disappear if you constantly trimming your aeroplane.

Q:Anything with "shift" doesn't seem to work?

A:You need to use the Saitek SST software and have a profile loaded that makes use of shift commands. Try downloading the above mentioned profile and see if that works. Its most likely the profile hasn't been programmed properly. There is a known bug in the SST software that causes some strange anomalies (conflicts with the auxiliary switch, programmed rotaries and pinkie switch)

Q: I noticed one weird thing... when i hit the switch button (pinky switch) it seems to breifly call up the wingman menu and awacs menu

A: There is due to a big in the Saitek software. Its important that the auxillary switch is centered, otherwise you'll get some strange behaviour. Alternatively, clear any commands assigned to the auxillary switch.

Q: I tried your profile and noticed that when I hit cockpit view. It seems like it takes about a second or two for the cockpit to center.

A: You need to re-assign unlock padlock (NumLock to F7) and the delay will dissapeared.

Q: The zoom seems jittery and doesnt work. It has a mind of its own?

A: Make sure the 'smooth slider' is set to max, as shown in the screenshot above.

Hope this helps

Precog

The Meatrix - Red or Blue?

[This message was edited by Precog on Tue June 15 2004 at 09:57 PM.]

[This message was edited by Precog on Tue June 15 2004 at 10:35 PM.]

[This message was edited by Precog on Wed June 16 2004 at 05:12 PM.]

[This message was edited by Precog on Fri June 18 2004 at 10:53 PM.]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Well done precog. nicely put together!

X

Combat Simulations Information

thanks for your hardwork!

I noticed one weird thing...may just be my system but i followed your instructions and when i hti the switch button (pinky switch) it seems to breifly call up the wingman menu and awacs menu.

Dont know how it does it...

Make sure you center the Auxillary switch

Thanks bud I'm working on my profile it might take a few days.

Click on sig to see 169th website
    Flying Officer "Cali"
    169th Panthers

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+ 1600mhz HyperTransport Tech
    1 Gig DDR 3200 | ATI 9600Pro AIW cats 4.5
    X45 | DX9.0b | 22 inch dell Trinitron monitor
    TrackIR2 | Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cali_169th:
    Thanks bud I'm working on my profile it might take a few days.

http://169thpanthers.net/main/index.php
    Click on sig to see 169th website
    Flying Officer "Cali"
    169th Panthers

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+ 1600mhz HyperTransport Tech
    1 Gig DDR 3200 | ATI 9600Pro AIW cats 4.5
    X45 | DX9.0b | 22 inch dell Trinitron monitor
    TrackIR2 | Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know when its done Cali and Ill host it and add it to the thread if you like.

Big thanks to you Precog ! Im so used to your profile for 1.01 that i simply couldnt play without it so thanks for updating

=====================
    Dell Dimension 8200
    =====================
    Windows XP Home Edtion SP1
    P4 2.00Ghz
    512 RDRAM
    SB Live
    ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
    (Catalyst 4.1)

Saitek X45

BRAVO! and Thank you!

Has anyone created an X45/MSFFB2 profile?

I'm in the process of modifying yours Precog (and thank you for the hard work you have done ) to work with the FFB stick, and can make it available if it helps any one.

As I have CH Pedals too I'll be assigning the rudder bar to flaps.

thanks precog...you da man!!!

Semper Fi

No greater love a man hath than to lay his life down for another...

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast