Thread: CH F-16 Combat Stick Hat question | Forums

I have a VERY OLD (about 10 years old)
    CH F-16 Combat Stick (Pre USB)
    I have two hats on the top as well as two buttons ( plus the side,thimb and pinky buttons)
    my question is, How do you get the two hats to work independently from each other.
    what I program the one to do, no matter what I do the other hat does the same.
    (Mine is up/down=flaps, Left/right=rudder)
    is it possible to set the other hat to be my look views?

thanks in advance
    Todd
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have a VERY OLD (about 10 years old)
    CH F-16 Combat Stick (Pre USB)
    I have two hats on the top as well as two buttons ( plus the side,thimb and pinky buttons)
    my question is, How do you get the two hats to work independently from each other.
    what I program the one to do, no matter what I do the other hat does the same.
    (Mine is up/down=flaps, Left/right=rudder)
    is it possible to set the other hat to be my look views?

thanks in advance
    Todd

I'm stumped, but you may find help at CH Hangar forums

Thanks for the help,
    the drivers that they have do not load (on my or my work computer)...anyone else have input?

Are you using the old DOS-based programmer? Sounds like you're trying to map the hats in game. I gave up on my gameport rig a couple years ago, but I remember booting into DOS (command prompt didn't work), and programming key strokes for my throttle & stick. That might be the way to do it.

Well, call me a dinosaur (prefer DynaSoar), but I'm still using my original gameport CH Products HOTAS rig (F-16 Combat Stick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals) that I've had for coming-up on 9 years, so I hope I can help. First of all, let me say I have a dual-boot system (Win98 on C:, Win XP Pro on D just so I can still reprogram my Pro Throttle, which as you probably already know, makes any gameport stick I daisy-chain with it, programmable as well. While the pure DOS programming environment might be viewed as obsolete and a hassle (can't even use a DOS window, must be pure DOS), the upshot is that the EPROM in the Pro Throttle thinks it is the keyboard and interprets button and hat switch functions as keyboard input. This is why I can play all the IL-2/FB/AEP/PF stuff running under WinXP Pro with a gameport rig plugged into the midi port of my sound card. I may have gone beyond what you're needing if you don't have the Pro Throttle, because it is what allocates the commands to the buttons and hat switches on the stick as well as on the throttle. I have my stick's two hat switches setup to provide aileron/elevator trim on one, view panning/tilting on the other. Without the Pro Throttle, I don't know how you'd achieve it since all the button/switch assignments are done through the DOS-based SpeedKeys program interface which is, as I recall, dependent on the programmable EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) in the throttle. The forums over at CH-Hangar, as someone suggested, are very knowledable and helpful. Although Michael contributes regularly and is an employee of CH Products, he has previously posted the person who was knowledgable of SpeedKeys programming is long-gone. Good luck.
    "How can you sit in the cockpit of a damaged airplane, half blind, half paralyzed, sticking your fingers through a hole in your head, and be objective about the matter?" - Saburo Sakai

Thanks again everyone ..and you too Spectre.
    I guess I might break down and get a newer CH when I build my new system. I just hate to see this sweet joystick go. Like I said...she is well over 10 years old and still is like the day I bought her. I have never seen any other joystick last as well (I have seen a Cougar HOTAS wear down in the short time they have been out...with much less use)...again, Thanks.
    BTW, Spec...any relation to the AC-130s? I go by Spectre on many other boards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herk---xxIxx---:
    BTW, Spec...any relation to the AC-130s? I go by Spectre on many other boards. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good eye, Herk. As a matter of fact, that is exactly the inspiration. I always loved that insignia with the cloaked skeleton shooting the mini-gun. I used to live in the Florida panhandle and worked with some guys that crewed on the AC-130s at Duke Field in the Air Force Reserve. Quite an amazing machine.
    "How can you sit in the cockpit of a damaged airplane, half blind, half paralyzed, sticking your fingers through a hole in your head, and be objective about the matter?" - Saburo Sakai

I started out as a crew chief on the AC-130Hs (69-6570 is still my baby). I am now a Flight Engineer on slicks...but I would go back to Gunpigs any day

H-model, wow, 105 in an airborne package, man, whatta punch! I salute your service, sir.