Thread: Ubisoft's DRM Worse Than Originally Thought | Forums

You remember last month when I told you all about Ubisoft's new DRM plans? Well, it seems like they lied about one specific feature. The game doesn't pause when you lose connection, it kicks you out of the game.PC Gamer had a chance to play the PC version of Assassin's Creed II and they found out that it isn't reliant just on your internet connection, but Ubisoft's as well. If that connection is interrupted at all, the player is kicked from the game. No chance to pause to wait for a reconnection, no chance to save your progress at all. While there are some of you out there with rock solid connections and might ask "so what?" let me tell you servers are not known for long-term stability. Servers die far more often than most people would like to admit. While this isn't usually a problem as many companies smartly have backup servers to handle the strain when one server crashes, we have seen countless times that game companies are NOT smart with servers. From 2007's Bioshock being unplayable for days after release due to server crashes all the way up to any big Steam release which completely kills their servers or the constant crashing of WoW servers. Then add in the fact that a large number of broadband services in the US don't have 100% stable connections. I know I sure don't. I'm lucky the lines in this old apartment building even support my 20meg service with only minor problems.

So I'm going to take a stand on this issue. I will NOT buy a single Ubisoft title on any platform until they get rid of this crap. AC2 and Conviction looked interesting, but no way am I putting up with this level of DRM. It almost makes Starforce look acceptable…..Almost

source from http://pixelsmashers.com
    ------------------------------------------

looks like the one's that will buy the game are the one's being punish for it

If that connection is interrupted at all, the player is kicked from the game. No chance to pause to wait for a reconnection, no chance to save your progress at all

WTH ubi what are you thinking

is this tru ?

Senior Community Manager Mr_Shade's Avatar
    I have no idea of how long the servers will be up.. so would rather say 'don't know'

I voiced my opinion about the new DRM on the PC thread. All I'll say here is that this is a draconian method, which is not suited yet to the PC gamers community. Many people can get online few times a month, but what about all the people who travel? or people that live in places where stable connections are limited?

Anyhow, to oppose those who says that this is the only way to fight piracy, I want to show you 2 articles. They both refer to Mass Effect 2, and its sales rate.

1. Mass Effect 2 Combats Used Sales, Piracy With Cerberus DLC Network. This one shows that Bioware, instead of using a DRM system to fight pirates, simply introduces the Cerberus Network system, which offers much more gaming options to the paying customers.

2. To all of you who'll say that this method won't work: Bioware's Mass Effect 2 Hailed as 1st Blockbuster of 2010
    Mass Effect 2 has sold more than 2 million copies on the first week alone, and the game has absolutely no DRM system.

I would like to compare Ubisoft to EA. 3 of the most pirated game of all times - Spore, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 1. All had outrageous DRMs. And look at EA's condition today, it was close to a bankrupt. And today, EA decided to completely forsake the DRMs. I suggest Ubisoft not to make the same mistakes.

The PC market is powerful (25 million accounts on Steam alone). If they work with the gamers, instead of against them, they'll earn much more.

This is my first forum post since I moved to my current address 4 years ago and found that no sustainable broadband connection was possible. People have finally done something about it (yes I'm looking at you BT) and I am finally able to get online. We'll have to wait and see how well I can stay online.
    Clearly I, an honest paying customer, have been unable to play many new games for a long time. This alone is elitist and unacceptable in my view.
    The effect that this DRM has clearly had even on online paying customers is also unacceptable.
    As many users have pointed out, it is only the paying customers that suffer. The pirates don't have the DRM or its problems. The crackers bypassing the DRM have a field day when a new challenge rolls in and they WILL overcome it!
    In terms of future support and patches for these games I would also add that Ubisoft have long since been on my "it'll have to be pretty damn good for me to even wish that I could play it' list due to their lack of support in previous games for many years and their patronising and totally unhelpful responses to many requests for help in the past. I still have games I paid good money for that I cannot play properly (eg no sound in SC double Agent) and I am clearly not getting what I have paid for.
    I guess I'll just have to join the crackers and pirates and get working solutions and the products and services they actually deliver if I want to play games on my PC?
    Perhaps Ubisoft could use their DRM to direct us to the best places to download illegal copies and further assist the pirates?

Originally posted by Danvish:
    All I'll say here is that this is a draconian method, which is not suited yet to the PC gamers community.

>yet
    Oh so you mean to put the Orwellian security measure "BIG UBI IS WATCHING YOU" in another time, where the western world turned into a dictatorship ruled by different companies?

No thank you.

UK Forum Manager Emeritus kleaneasy's Avatar
    Please keep OSP discussion to This Thread, thanks