Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Basic Starter Guide (S7) | Forums

I just wanted to add a small comment to the trading section. You are able to go back through previous established routes to take a different path, but you need at least one active trader, and each route costs 1 gold to travel.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Cool, thanks for pointing that out, indiecosmic. I hadn't realized that myself. xD
    "Life, Love, and Death having nothing to do with the economics of reality."

As someone who will be playing this game as their frist EVER settlers game, I wanted to say thanks for all the info! It helps a newbie by explaining things quick and simple so that I can actually have a quick little cheat sheet if I need it.

lol. No problem, Kowbarn. I actually didn't start playing the Settlers series until S3, a long time ago now. xD

But I know the feeling of being left without much info on how to play a game, so I did what I could to help. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    "Life, Love, and Death having nothing to do with the economics of reality."

Nice guide.

However, contrary at what is mentionned in the OP, I think that the bread production is not such a lot of space.

It seems that basic food is very important, at least as important as superior food, because without it your entire economy can callopse. Ok, there is the fish to remplace it. Ok. But fish is not infinite, and the fish-farming tech is not so easy to have.

Bread production is infinite, and do not need monitoring contrary to the fish one, which needs monitoring to avoid to empty the pool.

So, after some demo game, I would say that the economy seems well balanced, and has certainly a lot of secrets to reveal.

Still learning.

Something else that I found tricky at first - I set up the trade routes no problem but couldn't figure out how to actually trade!

Turns out you need to find a port on the map and click on that, then it will let you choose which goods to trade. Not sure what happens yet if the port is blocked by an enemy - does it shut it down?

Nice guide, thanks alot

Originally posted by Dusty909:
    Something else that I found tricky at first - I set up the trade routes no problem but couldn't figure out how to actually trade!

Turns out you need to find a port on the map and click on that, then it will let you choose which goods to trade. Not sure what happens yet if the port is blocked by an enemy - does it shut it down?
    Yes, if the enemy occupies all paths to a port it is no longer reachable by your traders.

I discovered this by looking at the northern port in the demo map. When you start the game the port is reachable by your traders as long as at least one of the two territories next to it is neutral, but when the enemy player occupies both of them you can no longer use it for trade.

Originally posted by indiecosmic:
    Yes, if the enemy occupies all paths to a port it is no longer reachable by your traders.

I discovered this by looking at the northern port in the demo map. When you start the game the port is reachable by your traders as long as at least one of the two territories next to it is neutral, but when the enemy player occupies both of them you can no longer use it for trade.
    Wonder if that's the same when you want to start a reseach. I have noticed that I sometimes can't start a research and it say "unreachable" or something like it, so I had to wait for the AI to start the research and then outbid her.

One question:

At the moment I'm doing freeplay so I can see what are my economic mistakes, sharp some skills and notions.

One thing I realized is that in the long term, investing in farms and pighouses is more productive then investing in hunting and fishing as it will eventually disappear.

Anyway I would like to know your strategy in early economy on the Demo map

Joao

Thank you

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast