Thread: Pilot who saved Buckingham Palace dies... | Forums

"A Second World War British fighter pilot credited with saving Buckingham Palace from a direct hit by a German bomber has died at the age of 90, his wife said Tuesday."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050...wo/obit_holmes

Rest in Peace, Sir.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I saw that on history channel
    "War is hell, but war is also mystery and terror and. In truth war is also beauty. You stare out at tracer rounds unwinding through the dark.The fluid symmetries of troops on the move. The sheets of metal-fire down from a gunship, the illumination ro

i found a link on the same subject..but with pictures included..of Sgt. Ray Holmes..of the German aircraft on way down and pictures of the recovery. Thanks Dark Autumn for the great link.

lol guys i'm stupid..i forgot to paste the link...here ya go....http://www.bbm.org.uk/as-holmes.htm

That man was one hell of a hero.
    I'm sure he rammed two bombers (maybe im wrong) still though he must of had some currage to ram it. He was quite famous for that. He was awarded a VC i think. I also saw that programme where they dug his plane engine up.

Rest in Peace Sgt. Ray Holmes.

Cheers for the link mate
    ---------------------------------------------
    8:50 AM 7th July 2005 London - Never Forget.

"Lay them with all that is most living, In light transcendent, In the ageless
    aisles of silence, with the Immortals that saved the world."

â€" from lines written in red upon the Book of Remembrance, Memorial Chamber, Parliament Buildings, Ottawa.

The Book records the names of Canada's Fallen from all our wars. Those words seem fit and proper to honour the passing of a man like Ray Holmes.

Farley Mowat is a famed Canadian author and Second World War Veteran.
    He wrote, "It is not until long after peace has come that soldiers' memories of war really begin to live."

While we today cannot possibly comprehend that Age of Heroism which such men and women lived, and survived; we can look back upon it in wonder, and ensure those soldiers and their stories will always be remembered.

Lest We Forget.

If u r interested in pilot fighters in England check this site:
    http://www.questionofhonor.com/

Yeah i watched a Time Team Special, where they dug up the middile of a London road, and raised the engine of Ray's spitfire. The man was a true hero, and he did indeed ram 2 german bombers. There were also interviews with the German bomber pilot.
    "We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have now done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing".