Thread: GRAW/GRAW 2 worth buying? | Forums

I liked the original Ghost Recon. Sure, it had some obvious AI problems, a slightly too limited and clumsy command interface etc. But once I got used to ambushing and sniping, I was able to ignore these problems and actually enjoy the game. What I'm asking now is, are its sequels anything like it? All comments appreciated.
    ---
    "Don't build your community around a game, build your game around a community"

www.blackfootstudios.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Banned
    Not really, there is no recon in GRAW or GRAW 2 for one, you are no longer a ghost but a regular guy doing battle with tangos that can kill you with a pistol from 100 yds away (GRAW) or not have the tangos see you even if you are at a spit distance from them (GRAW 2).

But, if you really want to know more, browse the few posts here and you'll see for yourself.

your are joking, of course you are

I suppose it depends on what you want to play it for if its to rekindle the Gr you once played then i would say no dont go near it but if you can get it cheap then maybe go for Graw 2 as there are more playing that although i would say Graw 1 was a better game. Maybe best to keep your loving memories of the once great Gr and go for something else for know until the next big game

Thanks for the replies!

I'm really not looking for an exact copy of Ghost Recon, if that was what I wanted, I would play the game itself. But I still think the basic concept of GR is good.

Unfortunately though, it has some serious issues. The main problem is that your guys get killed pretty quickly because of two reasons. First, they can't use cover effectively (I've heard that this has been at least partially fixed in GRAW). Second, most of the enemies are some kind of elite super snipers who will take you down before you have time to say: "Shoot that *******!". Apparently the latter has not been taken care of?

I learned after a while though, that if you just manage to get a shot at your enemies before they see you (usually by sniping), these problems are no longer quite as frustrating.
    ---

www.blackfootstudios.com

GRAW is so far from being GR its not even in the same class, its actually more of a single player counter strike with large urban enviroments.

theres no point damage, the tactical control of your team is flummoxed and near useless.
    as well as a mess of other issues.

if you can get it for cheap, GRAW 1 had the better story, but worst team AI in its era of games, but GRAW 2 had better AI and control for your team, but enemy AI was dumbed in place of friendly this time round :/
    if i had to choose though i'd personaly say GRAW 2 with Brettzies mod, and screw MP, just play co op with friends.
    otherwise your better off getting Half Life 2 with CS:S, as that game has better gameplay than either of these ones, as well as more team play.

as for those "fixes" neither of them are here.
    the friendly AI couldn't shoot a wall the size of the hoover damn, if they were glue to it by their noses, but enemy AI can snipe at 100+ yards with a pistol in both games (though GRAW 2 has some defective AI that won't see you until you bump into them)
    as for dieing.. neither game can they effectively use cover, they often stand around while getting shot, and they waste so much ammo shooting air their best used as decoys to draw out enemy units.

@want2snipe

the 360 version of R6V2 works grand spectacular these days, as where the PC one suffers many of the issues the first one did (including working better on mid range systems and not at all on high end, bad FPS, yellow "haze" over the games GFX, and a number of other unfixed issues ontop its own personal problems )
    dunno bout the PS3 one... my PS3 selection of games is limited... like... REALLY limited... for every 5 games for my 360 i have maybe 1 for the PS3.... i have more games on my Wii than i got for that black box of shininess!
    which saddens me really...

if anything, i'd say Ubi PC games are the cream of the **** pile these days, they even make EA look good with tech support, as EA is more responsive and won't dump a game within 5 weeks of its release as Ubi loves to do lately

Banned
    Originally posted by GrimlockCW:
    @want2snipe

the 360 version of R6V2 works grand spectacular these days, as where the PC one suffers many of the issues the first one did (including working better on mid range systems and not at all on high end, bad FPS, yellow "haze" over the games GFX, and a number of other unfixed issues ontop its own personal problems )
    Dude, don't get me started with RV62 PC as I seriously don't want to highjack this thread! All I can say about it is... It had to be a hard thing to botch a game like that but UBI was capable of doing it!

Your guys are better at using cover in GRAW/2 it's true. They generally know which side of something to hide behind. They're the usual mix of dumb and smart you get with AI. They're quite procedural so sometimes they're uncannily smart and sometimes they're really dumb.

Unfortunately some of the stuff they're bad at is stuff like keeping up with you.

They also have a health bar and will generally survive a few more hits than in GR.

The gameplay is quite different though.

GR was all about looking at the map and picking the best route through. You had enough people to set up flanking positions and the like. Objectives could generally be approached in a variety of ways. You could really pick the approach you liked being as minimalist and stealthy or else sweeping and clearing the whole map.

GRAW you're much more forced down a particular route. The maps are these huge cityscapes but if you stray outside a boundary you lose automatically which is very frustrating when you're going for a flanking position.

Try the demos. They aren't terrible games. They're just not really engaging the player in the same kind of decisionmaking GR the first did which removes a lot of the depth of the series. The first game had plenty wrong with it but still managed to be terrific because of the overall experience. GRAW loses a lot of that charm.

I prefer GRAW2 because it brings back some stealth elements missing from 1.

Originally posted by spm1138:
    Try the demos.
    What an idiot I am... thx.
    ---

www.blackfootstudios.com

Originally posted by Want2Snipe:
    All I can say about it is... It had to be a hard thing to botch a game like that but UBI was capable of doing it!
    agreed!
    Ubi has gotten to big for their own shorts lately sadly, and need to slow down and work out some NEW franchises (things like Assassins creed) rather than make new games with old names.
    they aren't ID, and naming 2 games the same thing but having them 50-70% different is just a bad practice, even ID's giving up on that (referring to the Quake series, where the only 2 that are of the same background is Q2 and Q4)

they're also killing things like Splinter Cell by making WAY to many of them in a VERY short period of time
    i mean, MP in Chaos theory was awesome and it had real CO OP not "bot match" like DA has :/
    DA's also gone the way of moreso being run'n'gun and dropped the stealth element pretty well.
    its still there but its WAY to fast paced to be fun :/

the GRAW, and R6V games are being rushed to much, and are so far from the original source material its like making a Thief game thats set in the year 2021 or something and uses some sort of taser to replace the blackjack.