Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat 4.10 issues | Forums

Hi folks

I've downloaded ATIs cat 4.10 suite yesterday and installed it. The positive side is a real gain in speed - as discussed in the general forum already.

On the other side I have some funny effects, I never have seen before and thought I share it with you.

First, my PC now crashes to reboot, when selecting the advanced tab of desktop properties (right click on desktop -> advanced). This is consistent.

Second, I once experienced that WindowsXP lost its appearance (I think it's the "visual themes service" towards the oldfashioned look. By selecting the service once "off" and then "on" again, the process was back on track ?

Third, I noticed some funny and very short blackouts during the startup phase of WindowsXP. After startup, everythings seems to work normally.

My system: WinXP home SP2, AMD 2000+ 1GB RAM, SB live, ATI radeon 9700 pro.

Basically, I am not really bothered by these things, especially that FB now runs as it is supposed to be (I never was able to run more than - lets say - 10-15 planes in one scenario without slide show effects (frame rates dropping to 15 and below)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi folks

I've downloaded ATIs cat 4.10 suite yesterday and installed it. The positive side is a real gain in speed - as discussed in the general forum already.

On the other side I have some funny effects, I never have seen before and thought I share it with you.

First, my PC now crashes to reboot, when selecting the advanced tab of desktop properties (right click on desktop -> advanced). This is consistent.

Second, I once experienced that WindowsXP lost its appearance (I think it's the "visual themes service" towards the oldfashioned look. By selecting the service once "off" and then "on" again, the process was back on track ?

Third, I noticed some funny and very short blackouts during the startup phase of WindowsXP. After startup, everythings seems to work normally.

My system: WinXP home SP2, AMD 2000+ 1GB RAM, SB live, ATI radeon 9700 pro.

Basically, I am not really bothered by these things, especially that FB now runs as it is supposed to be (I never was able to run more than - lets say - 10-15 planes in one scenario without slide show effects (frame rates dropping to 15 and below)

Bumping
    Have almost same system. ABS ?
    What mother board?

"Third, I noticed some funny and very short blackouts during the startup phase of WindowsXP. After startup, everythings seems to work normally."

I picked up this one, too, not the others, although some horizontal lines flicker briefly when I click the advanced tab and the new box is coming up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunflower1:
    "Third, I noticed some funny and very short blackouts during the startup phase of WindowsXP. After startup, everythings seems to work normally."

I picked up this one, too, not the others, although some horizontal lines flicker briefly when I click the advanced tab and the new box is coming up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The blackouts you report are down to SmartGART polling your AGP bus to test it's capabilities.

Try disabling, or setting to manual, the ATI SMART service - start-run 'services.msc' you'll see it near the top.

This is only needed the first boot after install, it continues to run incase you are a persitent BIOS fiddler who likes challenging systems by changing AGP speed and fastwrite settings

@All of you: And you have disabled fastwrites, haven't you?
    [hr]
    The DangerDogz and HellHounds Kennels
    [hr]

[color:green][i]Why don't we just take the safety labels off

p.s.

You can stop the ATI Hotkey poller too, unless you use ATI hot keys of course
    [hr]
    [hr]

If you have any tweak programs like rage 3d tweak uninstall them. The only program that works well with the newer drivers is radlinker.

with that said if you are going to make profiles you'll need hotkey poller enabled.

Graphics corruption can come from a bad install. If the above listed do not work try a driver uninstall/reinstall.
    ===========================
    I did not have technical relations with that question

ATI Catalyst Beta Tester

@ Hunter.

Phew, thought I'd cocked up then!

Didn't think about tweak apps......
    [hr]
    [hr]

Thanx folks for your comments.

The flickering is not there anymore - so it may be a phenomenon after first start up.

The "advanced" issue on the desktop properties is more annoying - but as long as I may set parameters via the ATI control panel it is ok for me.

Hi owlwathcer

Motherboard is KT266C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast