Thread: Building interior and exterior questions. | Forums

When adding homes and building elements in the editor I've noticed that some of them have interiors and some do not (they just have the exterior shell with doors that do not open and windows that are covered).

Is it possible to the edit the elements that do not have interiors by maybe deleting the doors and windows and using the interiors from the other elements or would completely new meshes need to be created and imported into the game to get additional buildings that can be entered?

If the above isn't possible without new meshes could you create a trigger at one of the doors to the meshes without interiors and have it teleport the character inside a building with an interior located on some hidden part of the level and then when the player leaves a trigger teleports them back to the original location?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

When adding homes and building elements in the editor I've noticed that some of them have interiors and some do not (they just have the exterior shell with doors that do not open and windows that are covered).

Is it possible to the edit the elements that do not have interiors by maybe deleting the doors and windows and using the interiors from the other elements or would completely new meshes need to be created and imported into the game to get additional buildings that can be entered?

If the above isn't possible without new meshes could you create a trigger at one of the doors to the meshes without interiors and have it teleport the character inside a building with an interior located on some hidden part of the level and then when the player leaves a trigger teleports them back to the original location?

Buildings without interiors are used as "filers" of he map where player don't have to explore the interior. Interior buildings have a lot of polygons and it wouldn't be optimized to have them all over the map even if they are not used. If you need building with interior just place it on your map and don't make magic teleporting...

I suggest you to invest time in modeling in 3D application so you can create any building you want.

BTW. there's no way to remove doors from building without interior because you don't have the original .max meshes of the buildings - these doors and windows are in one mesh.

Thanks Seir!

Your answer helped a lot. I thought it wasn't possible to edit the existing meshes without the .max files but I didn't even think about the extra polygons and the hit it might have on the game. Instead of trying to make the map as real as possible I need to focus on gameplay first. I'll need to keep that in mind when building maps.

I have been fooling around with Blender and I'm starting to get the hang of it so creating my own models might be possible somewhere in the future . I hope you guys are able to support Blender in the future

Again thanks!