Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incomplete list of fixes | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Here?s a list of some of the most recurring issues and frequently asked questions (FAQ) of the last 48 hours. This list will be updated as the need for updates arises.

<ul><LI><a href=#A> I: Problem Fixes</a>
    <ul><LI><a href=#0>Links to Useful Stickies<a>
    <LI><a href=#1>Freeze on Loading</a>
    <LI><a href=#2>Static Sound</a>
    <LI><a href=#3>Performance Issues</a>
    <LI><a href=#4>Cinematics Issues</a>
    <LI><a href=#5>SP Demo Fix</a>
    <LI><a href=#6>CD-key Issues</a>
    <LI><a href=#7>Geforce 6800 Issues</a>
    <LI><a href=#8>Stuttering Problem</a>[/list]
    <LI><a href=#B> II: Frequently Asked Questions</a>
    <ul><LI><a href=#111>Extra MP Skin (Collector?s Edition only)</a>
    <LI><a href=#112>Where's the Maiden's Eye</a>[/list][/list]

<a name=A><Font size=3><u>I: Problem Fixes</u></font></a>

Here are some preliminary fixes for some of the known issues.
    <hr>
    <a name=0><Font Size=3><u>Links to Useful Stickies</u></font></a>

<ul><LI>Ubisoft Tech Support Links - Ubi_Rickas, Ubisoft Community Manager
    <LI>A Word from the Producer - Romain, Dark Messiah Producer
    <LI>Random MP loading Freeze - Romain, Dark Messiah Producer
    <LI>Hint for Solving Video Issues Marco, Arkane Studios Dev Team[/list]
    <hr>

<a name=1><Font size=3><u>Freeze on Loading</u></font></a>

From this thread:

Originally posted by fubbi:
    I was getting a freeze on loading - I got into the prologue and to chapter 1 by turning off DEP.
    -------------------
    Control Panel
    System
    Advanced
    Performance
    Data Execution Prevention
    Add mm.exe to the exception list
    --------------
    Looking forward to others posting other solutions to this nightmare....
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...3/m/5001081694
    <hr>

<a name=2><Font size=3><u>Static Sound</u></font></a>

From this thread:

Originally posted by DevilsDesciple:
    If you get the horribly annoying static sound,
    - Quit out of Messiah
    - Go to your steam games
    - Right click on Messiah and select 'Properties'
    - Select the tab "Local Files"
    - Click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..."
    It took my comp about 30-40 mins on DSL to verify and download the msising sound files.

Those of you missing Cinematics/getting a black box with a diagonal line through it...
    -Follow the same steps as the static sound problem. I hear that works. I havn't done it for myself, yet though.

Those of you getting poor load times. (1 minute isn't very bad)
    -Get more ram
    -Get a better processor
    -Hell, get a whole new computer.

Broken ladder people
    -Go to advanced keyboard options.
    -Check mark the only box there.
    -Press the ~ button (next to "1"...and it's not 2.)
    -Type sv_cheats 1
    -Then type noclip
    -Fly to the top of the ladder.
    -Turn off noclip (just type "noclip" again in console)
    +DO NOT GO THROUGH WALLS OR EXPLORE. WHO KNOWS WHAT HORRIBLE BUGS YOU MIGHT CAUSE TO YOUR GAME.

If it still says "Unreleased"
    - Simply close out of Steam completely, and open it back up.
    - Taa-daa.

Lastly.
    Please, everyone stop freaking out. Just because you cant beat a game in 1 day doesn't mean the world is over. I'm sure Arkane is coming out with a patch or minifix to wash all your little worries away. This is what happens when you buy a game when it first comes out. There are bugs. The makers just make it playable to an extent, without wasting time before release. They know it isn't perfect. During the time when they officially say it's coming out, and when it actually comes out, they find hundreds of bugs. It's not abnormal at all. Hence the creation of patches.

kthxbye
    -FireEatingNinja
    <a name=3><Font size=3><u>Performance Issues</u></font></a>

Originally posted by MasterOblivion:
    Erm sorry to say but this is more a work around then anything (since these are source errors not just Dark Messiah). By saying that I mean no offence and its good people are trying to fix these errors. Here are some easy solutions to help you try and fix your game (as written by me).

Ok since no body has said this then I'm going to try tell you everything I know that can fix this (since game doesnt launch here til tomorrow).

1 - Drivers
    Update all Sound, Graphic and Motherboard drivers. An old driver can sometimes mess with a system.
    Ati
    Nvidia
    Other Drivers

2 - Graphical Software
    Make sure you have the latest Direct X, now since I havent got the game yet I'm not too sure if it was bundled.
    Direct X

3 - Programs
    Close ALL Anti-Virus and background appz. These may include P2P programs, IM's, Norton, and/or Pc Cillen.

4 - Check your computers hardware
    Now although I doubt it would be this (with all the peoples game broken) I would still check it. Try running 3D Mark and see how it goes.
    3D Mark

I will update this as I think so more solutions. I know with DoD: S the Anti-Vrius one worked for me. Good Luck

BTW have take a look around Dark Messiah Files, lots of stuff there
    <hr>

<a name=4><Font size=3><u>Cinematics Issues</u></font></a>

From this thread:

Originally posted by DarqScarab:
    Just read this post..

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=88210...911012694#39110126 94

Putt -dxlevel 90c in the target area of the mm.exe shortcut on your desktop.

1. Right click the short cut on your desktop.
    2. Go to the shortcut tab. Look at the Target box.
    3. Put -dxlevel 90c at the end.
    Should read something like this: "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Ubisoft\Dark Messiah of Might and Magic\mm.exe" -dxlevel 90c
    4. Hit apply, then ok, start up game.
    5. Enjoy! Let everyone know if this works for you.

I read all the other posts, noone seemed to be getting it to work. I read the post above, didn't think it would work, but was a try. To my surprise.. boom.. opening sequence worked!! Have not checked with cutscene after tutorial, but will soon.

Hope this helps you.
    From this thread:

Originally posted by RobertN_QA:
    "Using RegEdit.
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Steam.
    Modify language key to ?english?."

This is a workaround for those who get the crash after the videos are played. The fix will be integrated in the upcoming patch.
    <hr>

<a name=5><Font size=3><u>SP Demo fix</u></font></a>

From this thread:

Originally posted by DraZeL_:
    After the American release on Dark Messiah a validating came for all of us. This messed up the Dark Messiah SP demo for many of us. And since im just bored and waiting for the release i really want to get to play the demo at least intil the whole game is finished. So i found out a stupid way to fix is.

I do not take any responsibility if something goes wrong. If you want to give credit that's fine. But for help with other problems please use the Might and Magic Techsupport forum.

First i recommend all to take a BACKUP of all you preloaded files before starting.
    1. Open you steam client.
    2. Open the "My Games" window.
    3. Right click on the name of the demo, select "Properties" .
    4. Go to the "Local files" tab.
    5. Press the "Backup game files" button and follow the intructions.

Fixing the DEMO(if you have pre-loaded.
    1. Follow the guide over to you get to "Local files".
    2. Now we will let steampowered check our gamefiles to search for any corup or missing files. Press the button that says; "Vertify integrity of game cache..."
    3. After the validating restart steam. Log on an try.

If this don't work try. We must try to delete the game-files and copy them from Dark Messiah Single Player if you have pre-loaded or pre-purchase the game.

1. Open the Properties window.
    2. Go the "local files" tab. Then select "Delete local game content..."
    3. Make sure you are on the same account that you have purchased or pre-loaded the game on.
    4. Open the window "Store" on the steam client.
    5. Press the search button in the menu, and search for Dark Messiah in the "game title contains" box.
    6. Find Dark Messiah Single Player Demo and press the big button that says "Dark Messiah Singleplayer Demo". And then follow the intructions.

I do not take any responsibility if something goes wrong. If you want to give credit that's fine. But for help with other problems please use the Might and Magic Techsupport forum.

-Tech Support Forum
    -FAQ Support
    -Bug report forum
    -Sound problem fix
    <hr>

<a name=6><Font size=3><u>CD-key Issues</u></font></a>

From this thread:

Originally posted by deluXE_865:
    Hello all.

I received today the Collector Edition of the game, and installed on my hard disk. The single player mode works just fine, but the multiplayer game won't launch: upon double clicking, Steam launches and then nothing else happens. The same happens if I load the single player game and then switch to multiplayer from the main menu.
    Moreover, the cd-key found on the manual is not recognised by Steam as a valid one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    EDIT: People who bought the game on D2D and have problems with their keys need to contact D2D directly on their support site: http://support.direct2drive.com.
    Also we are aware of problems with Steam keys and will release an update to this problem ASAP.

Originally posted by OrrinDK:
    Hey all, it seems that the product codes have been written wrong on some of the game manuals according to steam forums.

So if your code ends with "F2PRT", you should write the whole code from right to left("TRP2F"-and so on) instead of left to right.

It worked for me anyways.
    Good luck!
    <hr>

<a name=7><Font size=3><u>Geforce 6800 Issues</u></font></a>

From this thread:

Originally posted by rickyhustle:
    Thought I'd post what fixed this game for me and made it playable. I have a 6800GT and was able to play through the intro just fine but was not able to pass the Stonehelm level.

1 - I lowered the texture level to MEDIUM. Even though for my rig the game recemmended high, this change helped dramatically.

2 - I have my page file set to 3GB (1 1/2 times my RAM, as I have 2GB). I increaded my min. and max. page file size to 8GB. Set the min. and max. to the same to keep the file from fragmenting too much. After you change your paging file size, reboot, then defrag.

My game runs EXCELLENT now, and looks damn fine, even with medium textures. I hope this helps even just a few of you.
    From this thread:

Originally posted by Dateranoth:
    Specs:
    Athlon 64 3400+
    2x512 cs2 corsair xms pc3200 memory
    geforce 6800 ultra
    X-fi XtremeMusic
    Game on main Raid 0 with two 10000rpm 36gb Raptors
    Paging file on seperate Raid 0 with two 10000rpm 36gb Raptors

I tried pretty much everything listed on this forum including setting my paging file to an extreme 8000megs, using the 84.21 geforce drivers, and updating my amd cpu drivers. On top of I played with multiple settings with these ending up being the best I've found for my setup:

All settings are set to high excep GFX detail which is medium, shadows low, reflections set to simple only, trilinear filtering, no antialiasing, and HDR lighting. Also, one of the biggest changes for me was setting sound to medium quality (previously I had overlooked it).

On another note, the absolute BIGGEST problem came from having HDR and antialiasing on. Apparently the 6800 ultra (and possibly the chipset I think) doesnt fully support the two together, so I get EXTREME choppiness/lag when those are enabled together. However, I CAN, also, using the same settings above, with these alterations (bloom lighting, 2x antialiasing, and 2x anisotropic filtering) get playable gaming (slight stutter, very minor, and mostly only when the game quicksaves or I look at LARGE areas)
    So, I have come to the conclusion that my problem stemmed mainly from a combination of HDR, antialiasing, and too high sound quality.
    With these tweaks and settings the game is playable for me. Though I believe a patch or two couldn't hurt. I seem to recall having the same initial problems with HL2, where I got the game playable, but they did eventually release patches that made it excellent. I have every faith in Ubi to get it right.
    Besides, it makes sense, unlike gaming consoles where each game is built for ONE system computer games have to be playable on thousands of different setups. A price I'm willing to pay for the much much more excellent graphics.

Hope this helps
    Josh

P.S.
    Tested these on both the Limited Edition (retail) and the steam versions.
    <hr>

<a name=8><font size=3><u>Stuttering Problem</u></font></a>

From this thread:

Originally posted by Dateranoth:
    Athlon 64 3400+
    2x512 cs2 corsair xms pc3200 memory
    geforce 6800 GT
    X-fi XtremeMusic
    Game on main Raid 0 with two 10000rpm 36gb Raptors (optimally defragged)
    Paging file ( 2gigs ) on seperate Raid 0 with two 10000rpm 36gb Raptors (optimally defragged)

Updated my amd cpu drivers.
    Running NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver v1.9291
    (can be found here http://www.ngohq.com/ )
    Tested it on NGOs 84.xx and couldn't really tell a difference. Though I found a considerable framerate improvement over regular nvidia drivers.

Starting with these parameters ( +map_background none -novid ) To remove initial load time and intro vids. ( WILL increase first level load time, but helpful for going in and out changing settings )

Resolution: 1280x1024 60hz vertical sync on

here are some different settings and their Video, note, Video memory consumption.

Everything set to Highest settings except
    No AA
    Trilinear Filtering
    652mb!! total video memory consumption during chapter 1.

All settings are set to high except:
    GFX detail (medium)
    Shadows (low)
    reflections (simple only)
    trilinear filtering
    2x antialiasing
    Bloom Lighting
    603mb Seems GFX is only saving us 50mb here and antialiasing is has minimal effect.

All settings are set to high except:
    Texture detail (medium)
    Model Detail (medium)
    GFX detail (medium)
    Shadows (low)
    reflections (simple only)
    trilinear filtering
    2x antialiasing
    bloom lighting.
    300mb video memory consumption .seems with all the textures set to high you add an extra 300mb

Now, to the best I can reason. The game has these video textures mostly preloaded.. So, when its using 600mb of video memory, obviously my 256mb card isnt going to contain it all. Resulting in RAM usage for video memory, and possible (hate to think) possible for some to be paged to disk. And of course, when these things need to be accessed on the fly (aka looking up quickly at a wall exploading) they can't be accessed nearly fast enough resulting in the momentary or longer stutter. I was able to run with pretty much no stuttering on any setting that used only 300mb of video memory.
    Now I know this isn't the case for some people as they are running on lowest settings, but I also know that others are running at what their computer "should" or was recommended by default to run. The only help I can offer besides what was listed above is to say that by bringing my video memory usage down to a level at or near my video cards memory size I fixed my stuttering problem. Anyone who would like to try to get it to reasonable levels can check usage by loading a level (namely chapter one since it seems pretty intensive) and opening the console and typing " memory " without the quotes. It will list all the video memory usage, and the heapsize usage ( which on another note seems to be within the size the game defaults 256mb.. so the hl2 tweak of -heapsize 512000 seems unnecessary.
    On a final note, I'm not sure why it uses so much memory, especially considering that I couldn't see much of a difference between medium and high texture/model details... however the memory usage difference was quite large. So, a bug is definitely possible.

Hope this is of help to some people.

-Josh

P.S.
    I have done extensive testing trying many many many different things to come to these final conclusions so I do hope they help someone. Oh, and it was all tested on the retail version, but I imagine steam would be similar.
    <hr>

<font size=5>IMPORTANT:</font> More fixes will be listed here as they are discovered. If you have a (proven) solution to a problem, please notify me via PM so I can add it to this list.
    If your problem is not solved by one of these fixes, please give out as much information as possible when asking for assistance. Computer specs, which version of the game you?re running, et cetera?

<a name=B><Font size=3><u>II: Frequently Asked Questions</u></font></a>

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions and answers..

<a name=111><u>Extra MP Skin (Collector?s Edition only)</u></a>
    Originally posted by RobertN_QA:
    The registered skin is the Undead Knight in multiplayer. You must check this option when entering the game from options/gameplay. Check the box and there you go.
    <hr>

<a name=112><u>Where's the Maiden's Eye</u></a>

<hr noshade>

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Originally posted by fubbi:
    I was getting a freeze on loading - I got into the prologue and to chapter 1 by turning off DEP.
    -------------------
    Control Panel
    System
    Advanced
    Performance
    Data Execution Prevention
    Add mm.exe to the exception list
    --------------
    Looking forward to others posting other solutions to this nightmare....
    I don't have "Data Execution Prevention" option under Performance.

I don't have "Data Execution Prevention" option under Performance.
    I think you should - if you are running Windows XP - which IS a requirement. If you are, perhaps you're at a lower Service pack than you should be?

I am indeed running XP SP1 with all non-SP2 patches installed.

...I love you...

So, reducing resolution to "standard" 1024x768 and setting everything to medium DID help. I'm not saying this is the best solution, but for me it's a temporary one. I do hope, however, that UBI are going to find the real fix for these bugs. On ATI X1600 with 256mb it should run (and it DID run with the demo) just fine for higher resolution/settings...

why carnt i play the game when it is in the shop sort the ****er out plz this tackes the piss

quote:
    Originally posted by deluXE_865:
    Hello all.

I received today the Collector Edition of the game, and installed on my hard disk. The single player mode works just fine, but the multiplayer game won't launch: upon double clicking, Steam launches and then nothing else happens. The same happens if I load the single player game and then switch to multiplayer from the main menu.
    Moreover, the cd-key found on the manual is not recognised by Steam as a valid one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    On this have you turned off steam then restarted it? It seemed to work for me. Also reinstalling steam will help as well.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Anarchy is the only way..

Anarchy is the only way..

i still carnt play the game as it says it is unrelesed but i can buy it in the shop can u plz sort this out asap

For the boxed version:

1. If you have/had the demo, uninstall it and clean the windows registry (manually, not using some stupid tool). Check, double check and triple check, because there are some entries remaining after uninstalling the demo, which may interfere with the full game. Only after that, install the game.

2. A very important issue, which many of you do not take into account: DO NOT USE CHEATS !! I've seen some people posting some issues which clearly arise from using cheats (noclip, spawning NPCs, messing with the game's settings via the developer console, etc). This is like deliberately throwing your TV out through the window and then complaining that it doesn't work anymore.

3. The in-game movies and most of the effects require pixelshader 3. If you can't see the .bik files, or you're experiencing other weird issues (white diagonal lines, black screens, etc), it's more likely that your videocard needs an upgrade.

4. It's been already said, over and over again, but usually ignored: update your videocard drivers to the latest version, and also update your DirectX to the latest version (9.0c - October 2006). Note that this is the developer redistributable version, not the regular one. If you don't know where to find it, you can download it from here : Microsoft - DirectX, or you can search for "directx_oct2006_redist.exe".

5. Regarding performance issues and loading times, it appears that setting textures on "High" takes the heaviest toll on your computer. You may try lowering them a little, especially if you also have the other settings on "High"

Regarding the steam version, it seems that some files were messed up, as most of the issues present on that version do not occur for the boxed version.

I will update this after browsing the posts some more.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast