Thread: How far out are minefields? | Forums

Ok, its mid-1940 Im playing RuB 1.43 and Im cruising along the east coast of the channel in my patrol area off the coast of...I forget. (Im not at my computer) It is the port farthest east of the UK before you get to the narrow part of the channel. It starts with an "L". At any rate, Im not very close to shore at all, maybe 50km or more. Im milling around in my patrol area to finish out my 24 hours so I can get my renown and move on. Next thing I know my watch officer yells out we are taking damage; my radio room and sonar room are destroyed and my sonar and radio operator are dead. I lose have of my diesel fuel and lose my forward batteries and other damage as well. Obviously it is a mine. I can tell it was a mine due to the location of the damage.
    I thought maybe it was a fluke. So I did the patrol over and the same thing happened two more times. I know I know... fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me.
    Are mines really that far out? I was around the entrance of the port, but it was way out there.
    May all of your torpedoes run hot, straight, and normal.
    -------------------------------
    ...And on the eighth day God created the helicopter and saw that it was good...

NEVER GIVE UP!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Lowestoft is the port you are thinking of. By coincidence, my wife is from a little village very close by. Yours is a very good question. I think that the answer must be that mines are that far out. I lost a career a bit farther up the coast in that area. As far as I know, there is no map of where such minefields may be. It's the risk we must take to troll outside ports.

I may need my memory refreshed on this one, and folks, please do so if I am wrong, but it seems to me that I read somewhere long time ago that in WWII both sides laid so many mines in the waters east of England, that they nick named it "The Rose Garden." Does this ring the bell for anyone? I might be thinking of another body of water, like maybe south of Kristiansand?
    I definitley remember reading accounts that indicated that after a while, trying to get through the English Channel was like suicide.
    Anton Reinhold
    Commanding Officer
    U-52

In RUb we had gone to great lengths to attain information on where the major allied minefields were and when they were there. The minefields are as accurate as can be determined, and in no cases are there any that did not exist

FYI, U-12, U-16 & U-40 were lost in October 1939 in the Dover Straights.

German U-Boat Losses During World War II - Details of Destruction by Axel Niestlé says that there were only 7 to sea mines. Where as U-boat net says there were 35. On top of these figures there are 72 listed as missing.

Anyway, the mines will be making an appearence in a enemy harbour near you soon!
    Cheers,

Teddy Bär

One of the stupidest things in game design is the lack of uncertainty given to the player

Originally posted by Gunnersman:
    Im cruising along the east coast of the channel in my patrol area off the coast of
    English Channel of Irish Sea Channel??? Id like to map the minefield.

Mines and nets are the reason I am not a harbour troller. Call me a coward

Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.-:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gunnersman:
    Im cruising along the east coast of the channel in my patrol area off the coast of
    English Channel of Irish Sea Channel??? Id like to map the minefield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, No, No. THE English Channel. Between France and England.
    May all of your torpedoes run hot, straight, and normal.
    -------------------------------
    ...And on the eighth day God created the helicopter and saw that it was good...

NEVER GIVE UP!