Thread: The Worst "Save" System in the History of Gaming! | Forums

Don't get me wrong: This is a marvelous game boasting the smoothest, most sophisticated and enjoyable action world I've ever had the pleasure of visiting; yet it is also cursed with the worst, unforgivably insane system for saving the game in the history of computer gaming, and this is a serious flaw.

Michel Ancel, its creator, does not even know the real purpose of the Game Save, which is to give the PLAYER the ability to take a break whenever HE (yeah, yeah, s/he) needs or wants to. Instead, Ancel is the first designer in history to put this ability in the hands of a game's CHARACTER, who is forced to run around -- in her world, mind you -- looking for a MACHINE that has the power to suspend time, supposedly whenever SHE wants or needs a break, which is NEVER! She doesn't even need to eat, sleep, or go potty, f'crissake; but when I want or have to quit playing for a while, I have to push her around until she finds a completely incongruous MACHINE that has nothing to do with her or her world, in order for ME to stop playing IN MY WORLD (in which such a creator who has suffered such a loss of touch with reality is known as a "schizo").

On top of this, there's even one place where Ancel has gone wacko with his "Jade-just-died-and-has-to-return-to-an-earlier-point-in-the-battle" gimmick. This occurs where there's two rotating killer beams she must run and crouch through before tumbling over more beams and under the closing door. Get killed here and you're diabolically propelled back to -- not just the beginning of the ordeal -- but instead all the way back to grabbing the pearl and kicking ten (count 'em, TEN) of those stupid pocket-change boxes.

As if all this were not bad enough, Ancel has elected to make some of his save machines either inaccessible or unavailable right in the middle of a long series of exceedingly difficult trials/battles, so that when I become frustrated, exhausted, or just plain late for dinner I have no other choice but to quit the game -- a curse for which I am doomed, upon returning, to suffer through seemingly endless reruns of cut scenes and step-retracings in order to get back to the tedious section I couldn't bear earlier.

One can only imagine what poor Jade must be thinking the entire game, which is undoubtedly along the lines of, "Why do I have to keep running around to these huge dvd machines to do some task called 'Save'? Save what? -- my entire life up to this point in time? Why would I want to do that? I experience no benefit whatsoever from doing this crazy thing. I hit 'Save'; nothing happens to me or my world; and I'm right back to standing in front of this humongous dvd machine, exactly as I was before "saving" something I know absolutely nothing about. What an idiotic waste of time and energy."

Jade, I couldn't agree more.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Well someone's obviously new to gaming...

I actually miss games that have saving systems more like this.

Michel Ancel, its creator, does not even know the real purpose of the Game Save, which is to give the PLAYER the ability to take a break whenever HE (yeah, yeah, s/he) needs or wants to. Instead, Ancel is the first designer in history to put this ability in the hands of a game's CHARACTER, who is forced to run around -- in her world, mind you -- looking for a MACHINE that has the power to suspend time, supposedly whenever SHE wants or needs a break, which is NEVER!
    Seriously, you must have never played games on a console before, you are getting ridiculously worked up over what tens of thousands of games have been employing for decades.

Saves often come in the form of checkpoints or in the case of Beyond Good and Evil here, consoles you find to save your game on. Michel Ancel, while brilliant in his own right, certainly did not come up with the concept of not being able to save anywhere. You can even trace it back to battery back up type games on the NES, maybe even before.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you've only played PC Games all your life, which normally let you save anywhere or employ the quicksave option. While a nice feature when you want to quickly finish games that suck or have hard difficulty, a lot of games don't use the save anywhere mindset as it may mess up the flow of a game designed that way.

Really I thought this thread was going to be over how slow the HD version saves, which takes three times as long as the earlier console versions, but no big deal really.

Originally posted by syntheticgerbil:
    Really I thought this thread was going to be over how slow the HD version saves, which takes three times as long as the earlier console versions, but no big deal really.
    The save file is just over 8000KB so that would explain the long time it takes to save.

lol @ having no concept of checkpoints and save stations in games. yeah, as everyone else is saying, this isn't a new concept. ever played an RPG? they utilize this concept all the time (i.e. Final Fantasy, one of the biggest RPG series of all time). if you're gonna get upset over this, that's sad. anyway, in regards to loading of saves, yeah, they take a little bit of time. although one thing i've noticed is the HD version is kinda slow loading between sections. not sure if it's a difference in the HD quality or what, but i don't remember them taking quite as long. not that it's a big issue, since it's fairly short, but i would expect a game that's fully installed to have almost instant loading, particularly a game based on last gen consoles. anyway, whatever. i'm enjoying the game. although i'm on a short break while re-playing through AC2 and ACB for a bit since i lost my game saves.

JohnKarp.com | deviantART | Model Mayhem
    "It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."
    - Haruhara Haruko

The save file is just over 8000KB so that would explain the long time it takes to save.
    Very strange. The original PS2 memory card data for the game didn't take up that much. I would figure the HD version wouldn't employ extra data for saving over the last gen versions, but I really don't know how these things work.

I just found myself avoiding saves a lot because they took so long, but there's only a few places where I would need to go back if I messed up or have to take a breather after a hard part.

Ancel is the first designer in history to put this ability in the hands of a game's CHARACTER, who is forced to run around -- in her world, mind you -- looking for a MACHINE that has the power to suspend time, supposedly whenever SHE wants or needs a break, which is NEVER!
    First? This method is quite common actually

Just becaus other game designers have committed that same outrage doesn't make it right. I've never before seen it in a PC version, and I will never again endure it. I have better things to do with my recreational time than being forced to needlessly (and boringly) cover ground already covered. I play games for fun, not frustration or boredom. There's more than enough of that stuiff in the real world.

In sharing my feelings about this in PS forums, the overwhelming reactions have been the complete refusal to ever play such a game. When not restricted by the non-PC limitations, there must be a reason game makers almost always take advantage of the opportunuty to render PC saves the proper way. Seems Ancel is just lazy in this regard.

welcome back!

um... i'm not sure what to tell you. it's an old game. a number of newer games still have checkpoints and save stations. as mentioned before, this is extremely popular in major rpgs like final fantasy. it wasn't until the latest game (xiii-2) that i've seen them allow you to save at any point by just going to the pause menu. if you can make it through the game, it's quite a rewarding story that's left everyone hoping for the release of BG&E2. considering the sequel isn't complete, perhaps they may change things up a bit. we'll have to wait and see.

JohnKarp.com | deviantART | Model Mayhem
    "It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."
    - Haruhara Haruko

I love the saving system, i think more games should stick to this 'checkpoint' style of saves, dont get me wrong the 'save anywhere' feature is certainly helpful in games like TES, it makes sense when used in an open-world RPG like that, but i think the save system works with this game great..