Thread: Good alternative to norton ghost? | Forums

My friend needed to use norton ghost so I let him borrow my copy, but for some reason it won't work on his pc. Every time he starts ghost an error pops up saying "fatal error". Any thought on fixing it or an alternative that will do the same stuff as norton ghost?
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Try Drive Image by PowerQuest.

Bet he's running WinXP SP2? If so, try turning off DEP:

Right Click on "My Computer" Select "Properties".

Click on the "Advanced" tab…

Click on the Button under Performance for Settings.

Choose the tab at the top called "Data Execution Prevention".

Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.".

Click OK and reboot.

Uninstall Ghost, and reinstall again. Good Luck!
    Long Live The Clash. There ain't no need for ya, go straight to hell boys.

We'll give that a shot, thanks.
    "The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.[Europe], under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep. If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress, and Assemblies, judges and governors shall all become wolves. " - Thomas Jefferson

Try Drive Image by PowerQuest.
    <- symantec bought them

Which version of ghost is it?
    [hr]
    The DangerDogz and HellHounds Kennels
    [hr]

[color:green][i]Why don't we just take the safety labels off

Ok, I tried that DEP and it didn't work, it's norton ghost 9.0 and it give the error "catastrophic failure", NOT an error you want to get I'm assuming, lol.

Hmm. Did you uninstall first?

Maybe try Dantz Retrospect.
    Long Live The Clash. There ain't no need for ya, go straight to hell boys.

You might try BootIT. It's a boot manager, partition manager, and drive imaging tool that's a bitt geeky and non-intutitive sometimes . But it will pretty much always work.
    see :
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-09-30.htm#5

or at :
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

or If you wanted to go a slightly less certain (but still usually OK) route, you could use an image-from-inside-Windows tool, like "Image For Windows" ( http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html ) or one of the Acronis tools ( http://www.acronis.com/ ).