Thread: Malta - single mission - can you do it? | Forums

I've been trying the single mission - Malta. The odds seem stacked against the UBoatmen. To begin with, the mission starts with the Uboat at periscope depth, VERY close to enemy shipping, with at least one destroyer within about 3km, and another three destroyers nearby. The sea is almost flat calm, so that the wake caused by the periscope would be easy to spot, and it's about 6am in the broad daylight!! What kind of Uboatman would place himself in this position?!

I've tried it several times. The best I can do is to kill the nearest destroyer, and the large warship, which isn't a merchant ship and doesn't count towards mission objectives. I needed two torps for the larger vessel, so there goes three of my torps. Nothing left to do but dive for cover.

The designated target ships are probably much deeper into the convoy, but it's impossible to get to them without being detected. Once that happens, it's crash dive and cat and mouse with the destroyers as the convoy slips away.

If you have succeeded with this mission, how did YOU do it?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I've been trying the single mission - Malta. The odds seem stacked against the UBoatmen. To begin with, the mission starts with the Uboat at periscope depth, VERY close to enemy shipping, with at least one destroyer within about 3km, and another three destroyers nearby. The sea is almost flat calm, so that the wake caused by the periscope would be easy to spot, and it's about 6am in the broad daylight!! What kind of Uboatman would place himself in this position?!

I've tried it several times. The best I can do is to kill the nearest destroyer, and the large warship, which isn't a merchant ship and doesn't count towards mission objectives. I needed two torps for the larger vessel, so there goes three of my torps. Nothing left to do but dive for cover.

The designated target ships are probably much deeper into the convoy, but it's impossible to get to them without being detected. Once that happens, it's crash dive and cat and mouse with the destroyers as the convoy slips away.

If you have succeeded with this mission, how did YOU do it?

Step 1: Sink the Nelson and the Dido class cruiser and a destroyer or 2 if you can. Then, after you have gotten this extreme bit of fun out of your system, restart the mission.

The merchants are on the far side and behind of the battle-group, I set slow ahead, silent running, changed course to opposite and parallel to the battle group and made depth 50m. When the warship sounds are well behind you, turn 90 degrees starboard, increase speed and come up for a periscope look.

You should see the battle-group sailing off to starboard and merchants ahead. The 2 escourt DD's are competent so down scope and go back to slow ahead/silent running. I haven't figured out how to get ranges when underwater yet, so in map view I raised the scope until the targets appeared on the map, took a quick measurement and down scope. Repeat until close enough and then scope up, aim, fire at 2 of them.

Thereafter its standard dodge the DD's and try for others if/when you get a chance.

Yeah, how the heck do you get ranges and positions when submerged and scope down anyway??!!
    Doug_Dread
    Hawker Hunter Driver

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yeah, how the heck do you get ranges and positions when submerged and scope down anyway??!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to your hydrophones and turn the needle until you find a contact, leave the needle over the contact and hit the button on the left "Sende". It will ping the target and give you the range.