I was watching a documentary the other night on the Military Channel about the Japanese WWII submarine campaign. It was quite interesting and informative. I am familiar with IJN history, but this show made me think again about their failed submarine campaign. The Japanese had some of the finest submarines in the world when they went to war in 1941, and plenty of them. Only the best officers and sailors of the IJN was allowed into the submarine fleet, so it was an elite unit within the IJN. Without question, they had the best and most hard hitting torpedoes in the war. So the Japanese submarine fleet was one to be respected and feared. Unfortunately for them, their leadership never understood how submarines should be used in war. They were abused by the Army who demanded that they be available for troop and material transport to isolated islands and other totally inappropriate uses of subs. Many of them were lost helplessly sitting in harbors in loading or unloading activities. The Japanese never realized that they would have been much, much more effectively used if they had concentrated on sinking Allied warships and, perhaps more importantly, hitting our merchants on their long, extending supply lines. The course of the war could have gone totally differently. At the very least, the American advance across the Pacific could have been considerably slowed and hampered.

The Japanese submarine campaign of WWII has never been simulated, that I know of, and this is probably due to how their subs were historically used. If, however, a different approach was used and the Japanese allowed a simulation in which they had the option to conduct a submarine campaign as the Germans or Americans did, then this could make a very interesting and fun submarine campaign from the viewpoint of the Japanese.

Just a thought.

Seydlitz

lane2512's Avatar Senior Member
    In a nutshell it was the 'bushido' problem....

Before the war both navies had the gunclub and the airclub.......we all know who won that argument.....

Subs were much the same way in the IJN. Sneaky,
    hiding, no 'big-gun'......it played out poorly.
    They ended up the Rodney Dangerfield of the IJN fleet.

BTW....USS Batfish (SS-310)....killed 3 IJN subs in three days.....all were on war patrol and spotted by the Batfish....today she sits in Muskogee, Oklahoma.

Playing a Jap campaign would be interesting. Somehow, I always loved playing the axis side.

Originally posted by Kohr-Ah:
    Playing a Jap campaign would be interesting. Somehow, I always loved playing the axis side.
    I don't see anything wrong with that. I like all aspects of WWII.

And I really don't care to count how many WWII games there are where all you play as an ally killing the "hordes" as with the multitude of FPSes.

IJN campaign

Originally Posted by SMS_Seydlitz Go to original post
    I was watching a documentary the other night on the Military Channel about the Japanese WWII submarine campaign. It was quite interesting and informative. I am familiar with IJN history, but this show made me think again about their failed submarine campaign. The Japanese had some of the finest submarines in the world when they went to war in 1941, and plenty of them. Only the best officers and sailors of the IJN was allowed into the submarine fleet, so it was an elite unit within the IJN. Without question, they had the best and most hard hitting torpedoes in the war. So the Japanese submarine fleet was one to be respected and feared. Unfortunately for them, their leadership never understood how submarines should be used in war. They were abused by the Army who demanded that they be available for troop and material transport to isolated islands and other totally inappropriate uses of subs. Many of them were lost helplessly sitting in harbors in loading or unloading activities. The Japanese never realized that they would have been much, much more effectively used if they had concentrated on sinking Allied warships and, perhaps more importantly, hitting our merchants on their long, extending supply lines. The course of the war could have gone totally differently. At the very least, the American advance across the Pacific could have been considerably slowed and hampered.

The Japanese submarine campaign of WWII has never been simulated, that I know of, and this is probably due to how their subs were historically used. If, however, a different approach was used and the Japanese allowed a simulation in which they had the option to conduct a submarine campaign as the Germans or Americans did, then this could make a very interesting and fun submarine campaign from the viewpoint of the Japanese.

Just a thought.

Seydlitz
    Peabody and I made a mod years ago for silent hunter 4 version 1.5 that does just that ! and we have several different IJN subs and dedicated weapons !

now trying to finishthe campaign part

fred