Blob The Toymaker,
here is a thread(as you suggested )created specifically for you and any other people, who are interested in talking about engine technology.
I'm a bit of a newbie myself, regarding knowledge of all of the different possible rendering techniques available(both current and coming), but I'm very curious about gaming technology, so I'm eager to hear what todays tech. genies has to say about it!
To get things started, I will start out with a few questions, targeted mainly at CryTek:
1. What do you think will be the most efficient/popular lighting rendering method, used in the coming games? and why?
2. Looking a little further ahead. What areas, do you think the next game engines will focus on? and why?
3. What do you think is Doom3's weakest spot(s) (technology wise of course)?
4. In which tech. areas, do you feel FarCry would benefit from improvements and why?
5. How well, does the current CryEngine support interactive enviroments/objects? And is interactivity something you will focus on improving in the CryEngine?
6. Have you seen Duke Nukem Forever in action? hehe!
7. What do you think of 3DRealms "Prey" portal technology?
8. So, are CryTek planning on introducing something new, that we haven't seen yet in any game?(don't have to go in details here, just curious to know how ambitious you guys are )
Thanks and please lets us all try and keep this thread on topic, shall we!
Let the discussions begin!