Thread: Firing a torpedo | Forums

Oh man, I am the worst captain ever. Everytime I find a ship I lock on with the lock button...try to get my front end facing the ship, then I fire. I always freaking miss by 50 meters or so. do you guys manually fire, or use the lock feature? or what

Im having loads of fun though. More than Brothers in Arms, that game was over in 7 hours and has no replayability.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Oh man, I am the worst captain ever. Everytime I find a ship I lock on with the lock button...try to get my front end facing the ship, then I fire. I always freaking miss by 50 meters or so. do you guys manually fire, or use the lock feature? or what

Im having loads of fun though. More than Brothers in Arms, that game was over in 7 hours and has no replayability.

Some do, some don't. We can give you some hints, though. For starters, try not to fire at too long a range. The closer, the better. I wouldn't shoot from over 1500 meters, and less than 1000 is better. Try not to fire from less than about 500 meters, though. The torpedo has to travel at least 300 or so yards to arm, so you don't want to push it that much. Your best chance of hitting comes when you are directly abeam of the target, so you have the biggest possible area to strike. Also, try and make your Angle on Bow as close to 90 degrees as possible. The torpedo detonation is unreliable at steep angles. Sometimes they'll hit and bounce.

Im not using the auto TDC because just because I experienced the same thing as you do now .. and besides, manual TDC is alot more rewarding

I only use the lock feature when I gather data (range/speed) ... AOB I calculate with the help of Frederf220s "formula": linky

well i think its all said.

just keep trying.

See ive also missed my first few shots even at very close range. Now i am hiting at over 3000 range with manual solution exactly the point i am aiming for.

My best shot was a C2 cargo from 5400 range exactly in the engine room. It sank immidiantly.

Ah one more hint. Set your T1 torpedo speed to "fast". Its set to "slow" by standard but you can change it in TDC menue (F6). It still goes over 5000 meters at fast speed but your results will be much much better when you fire at fast speed because your torpedo will only need half of the time. The faster the torpedo the better the chance to hit. Anyway you can not set the speed on electric torpedos such as T2. Not sure about the later versions im still in 1941.

How long does it take you guys to do one of the single missions? Right now I just tried the bismark one, and sink the aircraft carrier. I had one torpedo hit, and all the rest missed their intended target. both missions combined.

They zig and zag so much, each time I fire, they change course 20 seconds later.

(I think I had 2 strays nail a destroyer broadside)

Can someone explain the manual firing to me? From the manual, it seems to me, by the time I could figure all that out the ship would be gone.

Do you use the parascope much? I use it all the time, I think that gets me killed.