Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the gun be visible or like GR1? | Forums

a shiny gun model on the screen is NOT realistic! first of all, if you were looking forward - the rifle itself would always be out of focus, just a blurry dark spot... second, it does not contribute to gameplay in any way whatsoever. instead it decreases the field of view, blinds you with the muzzle flashes and is a distraction in general. and finally, this approach has been tried lots of times before. weapon view was actually quite popular in RvS, but only at first, when everyone was new at the game. you'll probably spend a lot of time searching for a server with the weapon view forced on all players at the moment. it was always nothing but a problem...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

It really doesn't matter, Ghost Recon will always be ghost recon. I used to play Ghost Recon 2 like I do Halo 2. Now I'm in a clan who plays it more like Full Spectrum Warrior & we own everybody.

The view doesn't matter guys, look at Splinter Cells, nobody complained when the spies get 3rd person & the mercenairies don't.

JUST FRIGGIN GET OVER IT, RED STORM & UBI ARE MAKING THIS GAME!

Originally posted by StrikerD:
    RED STORM & UBI ARE MAKING THIS GAME!
    Wrong forum bud, GRIN is making this one

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

a shiny gun model on the screen is NOT realistic! first of all, if you were looking forward - the rifle itself would always be out of focus, just a blurry dark spot... second, it does not contribute to gameplay in any way whatsoever. instead it decreases the field of view, blinds you with the muzzle flashes and is a distraction in general. and finally, this approach has been tried lots of times before. weapon view was actually quite popular in RvS, but only at first, when everyone was new at the game. you'll probably spend a lot of time searching for a server with the weapon view forced on all players at the moment. it was always nothing but a problem...

Then make it out of focus.

I'm not understanding the field of view argument as the lower section of the screen is usually just the ground (unless you're on a bridge).

I guess I should explain a little bit better what I'm looking for in GRAW; pretty much a simulation of small unit tactics. I used to play all my flight sims back in the 90s with an uncluttered HUD view only, until at one point something in my head said "this is not how they really did it"; that's when I tried playing it only with the cockpit view, it became really hard, especially in the WWII sims where multiple windshield braces were all over the place and trying to get a view of an enemy 3km out was extremely difficult, but that's the way it was done, it became real gratifying too once you actually hit something.
    In real life at some point during a soldiers day there will be a "blurry dark spot" in front of his eyes, at night he'll probably lose most of his nightsight when he fires his weapon, the flash of hs weapon will bloom when using NVGs, but that's the way it's is. The weapon isn't held all the way to the right, it's almost up the middle in the "ready" position with the front sight post just under the middle of the focus plane.

Look, if you want a no weapon view, I don't doubt the developers are going to include it. I for one, like you, don't want some static weapon image like every other FPS, I'd rather see it go beyond that.

Originally posted by apollo104:
    No FPWV made GR unique, and was a desirable feature in the game. It lets you use your entire monitor to see things.

If you want a FPWV, take a pic of your favorite gun. Glue it to your monitor, and enjoy your new hack.

It really bothers me when people want to change the core components of gameplay that made GR unique and different.
    Totally agree with you. No FPWV was part of the Land Warrior system which Future warrior was modelled on, so it WAS actually realistic that there was no weapon on the screen, as the system used a camera that was attached to the muzzle of the weapon.

That's my two cents, however I probably should say that even though I liked the view in GR1, and that it is a characteristic of Tom Clancy now (except for RvS which completely ruined it) but I wouldn't really be fussed if there were first person weapons in GR3 as long as they are done well. I actually thought AA did quite a good job of the FPWV. I don't know what you guys were playing on, but my weapon never turned to a blurry black spot on the screen. I had that on my old monitor but that was cos the crosshair was burned onto the screen from playing too many FPS games at 2 day long LAN parties

"Be nowhere. Strike from everywhere."

lol, good one!

Originally posted by th33f.:
    If you look at the center of your screen the gun model will be out of focus.. if you look at the gun model it will be clear... pretty much as in real life because you only have 5 degrees of clear view... the rest apears to be blurry.. .. just try to read this post and look at the taskbar at the same time... ohh no you can't ..

I dont like first person weapon at all.

Having said that if both options are avaiable, AND IT CANT BE FORCED AT ALL then it would be fine. I have no problems with it being an option, but it should remain just that. Dont even have an option to force the view.

A good iron sight system would add to the game. I would love to see a aiming system where the default view would be no gun model because the weapon is at low ready with the barrel pointed to the ground in front of you and you are looking around with no crosshairs.

Click your aim button, such as the RMB and the weapon model is raised to a low shouldered view with the gun model visable on screen, but you are looking over the sights and barrel into the game world. No sights are used, but you know that a target in the middle of the screen will be hit since you are in a stance directed fire position. This way practice will make a difference and CQB snap shots would be possible with a better unobstructed FOV.

Final when you have the weapon shouldered holding the aim button down will raise the weapon sights to your eye and you can take aimed shots. Release the button and it drops back down to the shouldered view down the barrel, click it again to drop to a low ready.

Combine that with a good physics based aiming system and I would be in FPS tatical heaven.

Originally posted by pearcie_no1:
    I don't know what you guys were playing on, but my weapon never turned to a blurry black spot on the screen. I had that on my old monitor but that was cos the crosshair was burned onto the screen from playing too many FPS games at 2 day long LAN parties
    mmmk, unless this is a joke, i was really talking about holding up an actual weapon to your face...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast