Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: New series on History Channel - "Battle 360" | Forums

'Battle 360°' is a new 10-part documentary series about the history of the USS Enterprise in WW2. Apparently it's produced by the same people who made the popular 'Dogfights' series, which I enjoyed (although I'm aware that series had a few technical inaccuracies).

From the trailer, it appears to follow the style of 'Dogfights' by using a combination of veteran interview footage and CGI re-enactments of battle scenes. The CGI sequences look pretty good (but not much better than SH4! ), and I guess in some respects it's better to use CGI than archive substitute clips (i.e. footage of other WW2 ships, battles, etc), which a lot of other WW2 documentaries do.

Check out the video trailer: Battle 360°

Apparently the series started on the History Channel in the US on February 29. If any of you have seen it, what's it like?

Silent Hunter 3 Community Manual website

[url=http://www.thegreywolves.com][b]GWX 3.0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

HOT DOGGY!

That is one sweet trailer! Now i just rest with one question here. This "History" channel, does it also provide streaming media for people living in europe to watch this. It sure got my eggs boiling, i just think i won't be able to watch it.

Now this would be a shame....

I watched part of it last night. It was pretty interesting until I got distracted by a convoy on SH4 and ignored it.

3 Shows in and so far it fairly good. My only gripe is the way they do some of the cuts from one scene to the next. They tend to give me a headache and break the flow for me at least.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Whisperer:
    This "History" channel, does it also provide streaming media for people living in europe to watch this.
    We have the History Channel here in the UK, but usually it takes a while for a new series from the US channel to be broadcast over here. I hope this one is shown in the UK soon!

I don't think the History Channel have any streaming media available - but if the series is successful, it might get shown on a channel in your country in the future. Many of these historical documentaries are eventually released on DVD - so that might be one likely way you could get to see it.

Silent Hunter 3 Community Manual website

[url=http://www.thegreywolves.com][b]GWX 3.0

It shows on Friday nights here (east coast US). I watched the first two episodes, but missed last weeks because I was out. They usually play the previous one right before the new one, so I am hoping to catch the missed episode this week. The Enterprise is one of my favorite ships of the war.

The first episode covered prewar, Pearl Harbor and up to the Marshall raids. I didn't know a good portion of the details of that one. Its certainly interesting stuff. I actually quit SH4 to watch it.

The second covered the Doolittle raid through Midway. It has several interviews with some of the pilots and really gives a good perspective. Even some mention of the major submarine influences on the battle.

I find it very interesting and well done for the most part. I have to admit that the gung ho marine commetator with the "USA kicks ***" attitude gets a bit on my nerves. Its definately worth the watch.

What I found very interesting (and I'm not sure its correct) is that the task forces were set up with the carrier in the middle, but with the destroyers next and the cruisers on the outer ring. ??? I always through the destroyers were on the outmost edge to patrol for subs and as the (sorry to say it), most expendable ships with the more valuable cruisers inside that screen as well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    'round here, she's always on my mind.

Originally posted by VikingGrandad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whisperer:
    This "History" channel, does it also provide streaming media for people living in europe to watch this.
    I don't think the History Channel have any streaming media available - but if the series is successful, it might get shown on a channel in your country in the future. Many of these historical documentaries are eventually released on DVD - so that might be one likely way you could get to see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found the episodes on the site. Lets see if I can describe how to get it....

Okay, from the link you gave, click on 'Video'. A 14 second clip plays. Then a 2:32 clip. Once that is over, a 55 minute clip starts. That's the second episode. Once that large one starts, you can click the little link on top of the video for 'encore presentation'. Then you should have links to the first and second episodes on the right.

Hope that's clearer than mud.

Thanks for the Guide... I watched the first 360 on History Channel, missed the second. I didn't know you could watch them, streaming, through the Internet Site. Very Cool!

Unfortunately the third episode, the one I missed, isn't up yet. And this week they AREN'T showing the prior episode right before it.

*sigh*

Tomorrow starts the second part of the Solomon's and I'll have to watch it having missed the first.

Alright, thanks a million Gathrun.

Think i should be able to manage this! well just let me see what i'm going to do tonight,... Yes, watch 360.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast