Thread: Ubisoft calls always-on DRM a success...!!! | Forums

Assassin?s Creed Unity Cast of Characters Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Story Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Experience #2 Customization & Co-op [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Season Pass Trailer [US]

Hi guys!

I just read the news about it. So Ubisoft still emphasizing on DRM.
    Here it is the link
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6...or%3Ball%3Btitle%3B6

I am worry about AC:R. Will AC:R be poisoned by DRM???
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

there is another thread about this
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1067519/m/3301036839
    Both threads are about a game that I doubt it has multiplayer. ACR will have multiplayer so I doubt they will use the always on DRM. People who like AC games, will buy it for the multiplayer, pirates or not

Banned
    Originally posted by asifah30:
    Hi guys!

I just read the news about it. So Ubisoft still emphasizing on DRM.
    Here it is the link
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6...or%3Ball%3Btitle%3B6

I am worry about AC:R. Will AC:R be poisoned by DRM???
    One Guy asked a similar Query about this same DRM issue, under this Topic:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1067519/m/3301036839

But like I said before, we cannot jump to any conclusion whether ACR will have this DRM or not, despite it having a MP part. We have to wait for an Official Announcement for this.

Hope this helps ?

Originally posted by justinpunny:

But like I said before, we cannot jump to any conclusion whether ACR will have this DRM or not, despite it having a MP part. We have to wait for an Official Announcement for this.
    Indeed.

The type of DRM used can vary:

Driver has the full OSP [Online Services Platform] - which needs a permanent internet connection.

From Dust has the same level of DRM as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - One time only activation.

So, until the type of DRM is announced for Assassin's Creed Revelations [PC], anything you see is just guess work.

Remember if you only have a one time only activation, you do lose some of the benefits of the OSP, like online game backups, which were featured in AC2.

The OSP is not just DRM - it does have some useful features, if you play from multiple locations etc.

Now some personal comments - this is NOT an official post from this point on - so trolls don't start

Re: the title of the thread..'Ubisoft Calls always-on DRM a success' Anything that reduces the amount of people pirating games, has to be a success?

When AC2 was released, we saw countless post's by people trying to bypass the DRM and failing.. for a good few weeks.. some people even trying to threaten Ubisoft due to them not being able to play their pirated version (lol)

I think that counts as a success?

A small number of people may not be able to play the game though, due to either prinicple - hardware or location issues, which I have to say a shame..

BUT..

'Most' people will be playing the Online side of ACR - so even IF it does have an 'always connected' requirement, 'most' people would have that anyway.

It has worked well on AC2 in the past, and even though a few people did have problems [which support helped correct] - and the odd server glitch - it was one of the first titles to use it, and things have improved.

As long as people do not edit any host files [for what ever reason] - people should be able to play fine..

If you lose connections, you do not lose the game, it simply pauses til it can connect again.

If you do not have a connection, then you have to consider that before you buy.

@'Ubisoft Calls always-on DRM a success'

I wouldn't say it. I'd say it a 'Pain'. I am one of the those thousand who suffer by Ubi's DRM.
    "'Most' people will be playing the Online" I don't care about them, I've all what Ubi asked still I faced tons of problems. I played AC 2 after the Ubisoft (fortunately) relaxed the DRM (This is another story how many issues I faced).

I have seen many users here who told they used a crack of AC 2 just to avoid DRM (they bought the game to support Ubi). So sometime DRM looks worthless and feels like Ubi's policies about the DRM and piracy may keep away those who buy it and make them to cry.

They're obviously not calling the negative things a success, but they're calling the positive effects. (pirates being reduced)

Banned
    Originally posted by TheLeoCrow:
    Both threads are about a game that I doubt it has multiplayer. ACR will have multiplayer so I doubt they will use the always on DRM.
    No offense, but you always make a wild guess, and jump to a conclusion every time you make a forum reply.

Like Mr_SHADE told above, "until the type of DRM is announced for Assassin's Creed Revelations [PC], anything you see is just guess work".

"'Most' people will be playing the Online side of ACR - so even IF it does have an 'always connected' requirement, 'most' people would have that anyway."

--End Of discussion--.
    Originally posted by Calvarok:
    They're obviously not calling the negative things a success, but they're calling the positive effects. (pirates being reduced)
    Indeed. I agree with your point. The DRM was a success to some extent, and it took at least 1 month for the pirates to crack it down. But despite all this, gamers still bought a Copy of this game.

To be honest, I've never faced any kind of serious problem with the DRM.

Originally posted by justinpunny:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheLeoCrow:
    Both threads are about a game that I doubt it has multiplayer. ACR will have multiplayer so I doubt they will use the always on DRM.
    No offense, but you always make a wild guess, and jump to a conclusion every time you make a forum reply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When asked about something that has not yet been announced, all I can say is my opinion. Aren't forums supposed to encourage an exchange of ideas?? After all, i didn't say that "it won't" have the always-online DRM, I said that "I doubt" it will have it.

What I'm more interested to know is why do you always take such interest in what I say.

Anyway, any DRM that minimizes piracy is a success in a way (as in it did what it was meant to). But the always-online DRM caused many problems in it's first stages. If they decide to use it again, I hope they learned from their mistakes and improve it's user friendliness. I'm still against it on principal but i will buy the game either way

I have all the AC games on console...only use pc for FPS and RPG, this DRM stuff is just absurd. Game companies REALLY DON'T understand... pretty much any DRM will be cracked in a given time. They are just punishing their paying customers.

Sorry just felt like throwing my two cents in...just utterly stupid.

They've loosened DRM restrictions on Driver. I thought they said it was a success.