Thread: stack error message | Forums

Myst v on windows vista- the stack error message I am getting is different to the one shown on your site did try it before I noticed that the numbers were different and still can't load the game.
    list as follows:-
    Exception type: Access violation
    Call stack (14 levels):
    0x76F0D309
    0x0066B9D9
    0x0044A9A8
    0x011243F1
    0x0044121D
    0x0051C6D3
    0x0051BE4E
    0x68477652
    0x68478D41
    0x684747BF
    0x6847B793
    0x69F78A65
    0x69F78959
    0x6847B187
    <end>
    any other patches available on this one, thanks

Hilary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Heimdall G is the expert here, but does this link help at all?
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

Welcome to the Forums!

In general,
    1. Install End of Ages (EoA) to your C: drive.
    -- a. Be certain that EoA saves its game progress files to your C: drive.
    -- b. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install EoA to D:. Be certain that EoA saves its game progress files to D:.
    -- c. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
    2. Start EoA from a fresh boot.
    -- a. Reboot, log into Windows with **full Administrator privileges** (NOT into a Limited User or Power User account), and close all open applications.
    -- b. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
    ----- 1. Do NOT forget to re-enable your anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs after finished playing EoA.
    -- c. If you have only a software firewall, do NOT disable it.
    -- d. Do NOT run any other programs before starting EoA.
    3. Never boot up with a CD or DVD in any disc drive.
    4. If the EoA disc autostarts when inserted into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
    5. Always start EoA with the Desktop shortcut/start icon, NOT from the DVD menu.

Always start EoA by doing steps 2 through 5, above.

NOTE: Anything that's underlined, and sometimes in bold-face type and/or a different color, is a link to another Internet site. Double-left-click on a link to go to its site.

If wstrohm's suggestion doesn't help, continue reading.

You don't tell us which operating system you're using, but let's go with Windows 7 (32-bit version).

The patch you're referring to is probably the one contained in Myst5InitFiles.zip, available here. This patch must be applied correctly with careful attention to detail to be successful. And there are various ways to be unsuccessful!

If you've unsuccessfully applied the patch, read through all of the posts in I have windows 7 and have stack dump error on myst 5, including all of the material in the embedded links - especially this post. Then apply the patch again.

If that still doesn't help, uninstall and re-install EoA, and then re-apply the patch.
    -- a. First, uninstall EoA using Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs utility.
    ----- 1. See Uninstall or change a program for details.
    ----- 2. If you can't find the Add or Remove Programs utility, see Turn Windows features on or off.
    -- b. Before re-installing EoA, you must find and rename vpd.properties.
    ----- 1. Use Windows Explorer to search your hard drive(s) for vpd.properties.
    ----- 2. Rename the file to something like vpd_properties.txt.
    -- c. Then reboot, and re-install EoA using the Program Compatibility troubleshooter.
    ----- 1. See Make older programs run in this version of Windows for details, in particular, "If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc ...."
    ----- 2. Select Windows 98 / Windows ME for "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?"
    -- d. Apply the patch again, and start EoA by doing steps 2 through 5 under "in general", above.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

I got a new PC desktop computer not too long ago and after running WindowsXP my husband finally installed Windows Vista on it. So I decided to see If I could install and play MystV on it, after coming to an unfixable problem with it years ago. Anyway, Heimdall, as soon as I hit play I got this "stack error message" so of course I came here, knowing that you would havbe a fix. And you did! So I set my husband, a systems architect, to work on it. It worked find except he had to do things a little different. I told him to be sure to put what he did in a file so if I had to re-install again, we'd know what to do. I also thought I'd share his notes with you:

To clarify, the \Myst V End of Ages folder resulting from unzipping
    Myst5InitFiles.zip contains:
    -- The progress.db file and the \init subfolder.
    -- The \init subfolder contains the audio.ini and graphics.ini files.

You must:
    -- a. Install Myst V to your C: drive, using the install defaults.
    -- b. Download and unzip Myst5InitFiles.zip.
    -- c. Replace the existing progress.db, audio.ini, and graphics.ini files with
    the new ones from Myst5InitFiles.zip. This can be done by either:
    ----- 1. Overwriting/replacing the existing \Myst V End of Ages folder with
    the new folder from Myst5InitFiles.zip. This also automatically overwrites/
    replaces the \init subfolder.
    ----- 2. Individually overwriting/replacing each of the existing progress.db,
    audio.ini, and graphics.ini files with the new ones from Myst5InitFiles.zip.

If you can't find C:\Users\&lt;your windows username&gt;\AppData\Local, set
    your Windows Explorer options to allow viewing hidden files. (Click on Tools
    &gt; Folder Options &gt; View, click on radio ****on for "Show hidden files and
    folders", then click on Apply &gt; OK)

I hope you find these useful. I sure don't understand them!

And thank you so much for all the work you do and have done in the Myst/Riven/Uru games! Because of your "CompletedPrime" saved game in Uru, I was able to play and enjoy Uru for as long as it lasted!

Christine

Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi