Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Respawning Enemies Are Annoying | Forums

Far Cry Classic Launch Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Walkthrough Trailer [US]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - The year is 2007, it is the future

Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Bundle Trailer [UK]

I've never liked the practice of respawning enemies in any game, in any genre. It's a losing gameplay decision which takes away realism and puts the player in a handicapped position. Moreover, it takes from the player the feeling of achievement.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I returned to a previously "scouted" checkpoint, a territory I had considered to have "pacified" only to see my efforts were worth nothing and I had to go through a process having the *same* goal.

This is how you know a bad game design decision - if it makes the player try to achieve the same thing twice.

If anyone knows a way to disable enenmies respawning through the console, I'll be very thankful to know that. I'm sure there is some way to do it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I've never liked the practice of respawning enemies in any game, in any genre. It's a losing gameplay decision which takes away realism and puts the player in a handicapped position. Moreover, it takes from the player the feeling of achievement.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I returned to a previously "scouted" checkpoint, a territory I had considered to have "pacified" only to see my efforts were worth nothing and I had to go through a process having the *same* goal.

This is how you know a bad game design decision - if it makes the player try to achieve the same thing twice.

If anyone knows a way to disable enenmies respawning through the console, I'll be very thankful to know that. I'm sure there is some way to do it.

So after battling your way all across the map to the complete the mission you would then like to drive all the way back without seeing any enemies ? How boring would that be ? seize the opportunity to sneak back & take them out in a different way.

it's a FPS that's what you do in games like this,

This has to be the most over stated, blown out of proportion complaint about this game. True it could be annoying if yo let it be, but when it comes down to it, it really isn't annoying at all.

In fact i'm trying to remember a time when i had to drive through a checkpoint the other way in the space of five minutes.

In a war zone a checkpoint would be re manned in all likelihood, not left idle for very long.

Though sometimes if you clear a checkpoint then complete a mission that checkpoint is fully manned, it's predictable and very boring.
    Sorry i don't agree with the logic that it would be like a real war zone.
    The game resets the checkpoint after you complete a mission.

5 minutes? HA!

I've cleared out a guard post, blew everything up, even destroyed their little tin shacks. Then driven down a road no more than 30 seconds to realize I went the wrong way, only to greeted by a pristine guard post after turning around.

I think the majority of people who complain about the guard posts don't want them cleared forever, but the amount of time it takes them to come back to be more realistic & less magical.

Honestly though, I think it might not be possible. It feels like the game engine can't save dynamic data (bodies, dropped weapons, etc.) beyond a certain distance. I could be wrong though.

The guard posts reset because of the way the Dunia engine is made, it streams from the hardrive
    & when you move a specific distance it preloads the upcoming location & unloads the area you just left so if you turn around it becomes a new area again & hence the guards are back. This game uses an incredibly low amount of memory so having more than 2 gig is not utilised, in fact I have a little app that shows memory still available on use on the taskbar & if I alt tab when playing FC2 it shows I am only using 1.1 gig in total with XP32
    so there is still 900 meg unused

Went to a safe house to meet the blonde woman, it was literally shooting distance from a guard post (the mission to steal the ring) cleared the post. Went to the house, there was a sniper rifle on the floor, grabbed it. Got the mission, guard post full again. Cleared it, drove round the corner and there was a bloke left, shot him and the gun was locking (useless putting there) so I span round and they are all back! Killed them all, back to the safehouse, my gun I just swapped for the sniper rifle was gone. Back down the hill and they are all back again! Three respawns in the space of like 4mins and over a distance in which it had no need to reload/stream from the Hard Drive.

Just get it patched so that they stay clear for at least half a game day.

Well, obviously there are people thinking different than me. I'm not as surprised to see them as they obviously are to see me. Well respawning enemies annoy me, that's for sure. To answer the question - yes I would prefer to drive through all the empty guard posts. Because when I kill someone in a computer game I want them to stay killed. And when I'm in a hurry to an objective, I don't want to mess around with the pisant 6 guys posted on the crossroads.

That's the damn reason I clear guardposts - to clear the way when I want to go somewhere. They are nothing more than obstracles - what other rewards do you get from them?! So from my perspective respawning enemies at guardposts is the Game undoing my efforts, which I couldn't call a pleasant feature.

About the "it's an FPS" argument - I find fun in the story's progression and in my character's getting tougher, finding new weapons and defeating enemies in different ways. And there is none of these factors in the exchanges with guardposts soldiers.

Right now I'm concentrating on doing missions for the arms dealers to unlock new weapons. I'm also wandering around the map collecting diamonds to by new toys. If I am going someplace to do a specific thing, I don't need distractions in the form of guardposts.

They would have been a great feature if they didn't respawn - they would force you to plan your route when going somewhere. But right now they are just an annoyance, for me at least. Planning or no, they are always there.

Those of you who find them fun just maybe, I say maybe, haven't had enough experience with them yet. I'm bored with them by now, I'd like to be able to skip from them to the more fun parts of the gameplay.

If you can give me any arguments pro respawning guardposts, let's see them. But please make it smarter than "it's an FPS". I already know what the game is.

By the way, the info about the Dunia engine was interesting. Thanks for that

Yeah the respawns really break the immersion. I guess the guard posts would receive new personnel after a while but it should take longer than a minute. If I killed everyone who is there to tell the magical place guards are made that they need some more guys?

The guard posts don't get reinforced either. Guards just pop back into the world from thin air. Maybe if they had some way of getting around instead of popping into existence it would feel less jarring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast